Fixed power scopes

Excellent question RolandtheHeadless and yourself as well as others here have made xcellent points on the subject also.

I'm +1 with ikeda - I'd sell any variable power scope to buy a fixed power one.
My favorite is the 1980's vintage Zeiss 4x, with the rubber coating over the front bell.
It's hell to get old.

New user name = Troglodog :)

I am with the other ancient posters here. Other than working up a load, I rarely touch a power dial - doing almost all my hunting at 3x or 4

I couldn't agree more. Besides the obvious target acquisition advantage I am less likely to jerk the trigger with low magnification and 3x is more than enough for 200 yard shots in most situations.

I couldn't agree more. Besides the obvious target acquisition advantage I am less likely to jerk the trigger with low magnification and 3x is more than enough for 200 yard shots in most situations.

But the nice thing with that variable is that you can crank up the power and decide which hairs to split with that bullet at 200 yards.

I can understand a low fix powered scope on a DG rifle where shots are going to be under 100 yards. You need the ability to quickly acquire the target and place the bullet where it is going to drop the animal, and if you happen to have that scope cranked up as high as it is going to go you may get confused in the excitement of the moment and turn the dial the wrong way and end up in a bad situation.

I would of hate to of had just a 4x scope on my rifle last year while in SA. Most of my shots were 300 yards + and that scope sitting on 10x gave me a lot better picture of where that bullet was going to go.

I am going to put a fixed 6x on thr 6.5x57 I am building. I have a 2-7 in qd rings on my 7x57 but mostly carry in in a scope bag and hunt with the bolt aperture and found that the oly time I fittesd the scope was when there was a shot offered that I considered too far for the aperture. I have a 4.5 14 on a little 6.5 GM that I built but find I leave it set on about 7x and have found that is any amount of magnification for the high country.
I have a Talley aperture sight for the 6.5x57 (on Talley bases) that will suffice for most of my hunting but do like the possibility of slipping the aperture off and the scope on if the need arrises. In the early morning or late evening the aperture starts to loose its visible advantage and against a darker background makes being able to mount a scope a real advantage and a set of Talley QD rings brings this to a viable possibility.

Other factors being equal, the fixed-power scope should be brighter than the variable-power scope. Variables have extra sets of lenses that fixeds don't need. Every lens the light passes through absorbs and reflects at least a small percent of the light. No amount of lens-crafting brilliance can change this bit of physics. Since the fixeds are much simpler in design and have fewer lenses, they should be noticeably brighter than variable scopes.

That said, I have to admit that most of my scopes are variables.

OK I'll own up to using the low power variables too. Nearly all my hunting is woodlands. There are no long shots in there. Except two areas of clear land with half mile visibility in three directions. Not often, but there I will crank it up from 3X to 6.

Don't know why I bother with that area. All I've ever seen there is tracks. But just maybe the next time ...

Hi,

Good question!! I started with a 4x32 on my first big game rifle, an old DWM original factory sporter, a kind of "Plezier Rifle". Over the years, and rifles, I went to variables, 1,5-6x42 and 2,5-10x50. But I always keep, for ALL my big game rifles, a back up scope, with rings and zeroed for the gun. All 4x32 or 4x36. The fact is I started to use those "back up" scopes as the main sight on almost all the rifles....! I have Kollmorgen Bear Cub, Redfield Denver Bear Cub, Hensoldt and Zeiss Diatals (both centered and non centered reticles), and Schmidt & Bender 4x36. ALL of them are fantastic scopes, strong, reliable and with superb optics, including the older ones!
Now, the Kahles Helia C, Schmidt & Bender, and Zeiss Victory variables are the back up scopes....

I have fixed and variable, all depends on what i am hunting. In some areas of Ontario its shotgun or muzzle loader only, for both of them guns i have a fixed, figure not much sense wanting to look past 150 yards as i would limit my shots to that range and the fixed scope is plenty for that. Where i rifle hunt though i use a a variable, my shots can be further out and sometimes i just need to thread the needle and want that extra power to make sure no branches are in the way for when that sneak buck walks through just inside the tree line

Guess I have to agree with the others. A fixed power is great in most scenarios, but it's nice to have the option of a variable at your fingertips in situations where your need it.

Fellow Rifle Enthusiasts,

If I were not so easily distractible, aka - forgetful, I might hold variable power scopes in higher regard.
I definitely do understand how carrying a variable power scope on low power in case the quarry presents itself at extremely close range (happens to me more often than I would have ever guessed when I was first developing a keen interest in hunting).
Then, if you arrive at some wide open space, such as one hill top, looking way over to the next or, across a large pond, etc., etc., and you see your quarry, barely visible in the foliage/shadows, you could hopefully have time to turn up your scope before settling in for your careful , to be more sure of a vital hit.
I totally understand that and wish it worked for me.

But alas, when I did hunt with a variable scope (when I was 18 to 19 years young, I put a Redfield 6 to 18x on my .244 Remington), I all too often discovered my scope on the wrong setting for the situation I stumbled into.
No fault of the scope whatsoever, strictly the fault of the operator.
After a couple of frustrating encounters with very fast moving, erratic / close range jack rabbits, that literally "leaped out of my scope" before I could touch-off a proper shot, I just left the dern thing set on low power at all times.

Eventually, I sold that over-powered, (especially in hot weather with mirage/heat wave target distortion, over about 9 or 10x) "top-heavy/too many options" thing and bought a Leupold fixed 3x to go on my then brand new Ruger M77, in .257 Roberts that, I traded in my old .244 Remington Model 722 towards.
With the .257 and 3x scope in Ruger rings, I proceeded to bag untold numbers of crazy-running jack rabbits at close range, as well as the ones missed but, foolish enough to stop out at much longer distances, then stand up on their hind legs and look back at me - RIP.

Also, in spite of the low magnification, I continued counting coupe on the local ground squirrels.
Last but not least, one of my best shots with any rifle scope / rifle combination in my life was with the 3x scope on that .257 / 100 grain Hornady Spire point at about 2900 fps on a standing coyote, stepped off across a flat stubble field to 396 long "goose step" paces (I'm about 6' tall), very proud of that one.

Well anyway, I have stayed with fixed power scopes all these many long years with no complaints.
My favorite big game hunting scope these days is as mentioned earlier, the 1980's model of Zeiss 4x that has the rubber coating over the front bell.
With that scope on a Mauser .300 H&H / 180 gr Nosler Partition going a little over 2800 fps, I shot a dozen game animals in Namibia, including one just a tick over 400 meters, according to the PH's Leica range finder.

I do not necessarily make a habit of shooting that far at live targets but, I do confess to having done so a very few times in my life and a larger scope would surely have made it easier/more sure of a precise hit, way out there.
However, that being said - I have yet to loose an animal, large or small, due to not being able to crank my scope up to some higher magnification.
I've definitely lost opportunity due to having too much magnification at close range, (as described in my jack rabbit portion of this rambling senile manifesto) - again, no fault of the variable scope, only the fault of my skittish brain cells.

One more thing that I like about fixed power scopes is that when I finally close with my quarry, I am not tempted to waste a precious second or two, jacking around with the power adjustments on my scope when, I should be touching off a carefully aimed shot at my soon to run away target.

Parting Shot as it were:
The secret to using a low powered scope at long range is the same secret for using a high powered scope at long range - from field positions, especially the sticks, you practice, practice, practice and then practice some more.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Fellow Rifle Enthusiasts,

If I were not so easily distractible, aka - forgetful, I might hold variable power scopes in higher regard.
I definitely do understand how carrying a variable power scope on low power in case the quarry presents itself at extremely close range (happens to me more often than I would have ever guessed when I was first developing a keen interest in hunting).
Then, if you arrive at some wide open space, such as one hill top, looking way over to the next or, across a large pond, etc., etc., and you see your quarry, barely visible in the foliage/shadows, you could hopefully have time to turn up your scope before settling in for your careful , to be more sure of a vital hit.
I totally understand that and wish it worked for me.

But alas, when I did hunt with a variable scope (when I was 18 to 19 years young, I put a Redfield 6 to 18x on my .244 Remington), I all too often discovered my scope on the wrong setting for the situation I stumbled into.
No fault of the scope whatsoever, strictly the fault of the operator.
After a couple of frustrating encounters with very fast moving, erratic / close range jack rabbits, that literally "leaped out of my scope" before I could touch-off a proper shot, I just left the dern thing set on low power at all times.

Eventually, I sold that over-powered, (especially in hot weather with mirage/heat wave target distortion, over about 9 or 10x) "top-heavy/too many options" thing and bought a Leupold fixed 3x to go on my then brand new Ruger M77, in .257 Roberts that, I traded in my old .244 Remington Model 722 towards.
With the .257 and 3x scope in Ruger rings, I proceeded to bag untold numbers of crazy-running jack rabbits at close range, as well as the ones missed but, foolish enough to stop out at much longer distances, then stand up on their hind legs and look back at me - RIP.

Also, in spite of the low magnification, I continued counting coupe on the local ground squirrels.
Last but not least, one of my best shots with any rifle scope / rifle combination in my life was with the 3x scope on that .257 / 100 grain Hornady Spire point at about 2900 fps on a standing coyote, stepped off across a flat stubble field to 396 long "goose step" paces (I'm about 6' tall), very proud of that one.

Well anyway, I have stayed with fixed power scopes all these many long years with no complaints.
My favorite big game hunting scope these days is as mentioned earlier, the 1980's model of Zeiss 4x that has the rubber coating over the front bell.
With that scope on a Mauser .300 H&H / 180 gr Nosler Partition going a little over 2800 fps, I shot a dozen game animals in Namibia, including one just a tick over 400 meters, according to the PH's Leica range finder.

I do not necessarily make a habit of shooting that far at live targets but, I do confess to having done so a very few times in my life and a larger scope would surely have made it easier/more sure of a precise hit, way out there.
However, that being said - I have yet to loose an animal, large or small, due to not being able to crank my scope up to some higher magnification.
I've definitely lost opportunity due to having too much magnification at close range, (as described in my jack rabbit portion of this rambling senile manifesto) - again, no fault of the variable scope, only the fault of my skittish brain cells.

One more thing that I like about fixed power scopes is that when I finally close with my quarry, I am not tempted to waste a precious second or two, jacking around with the power adjustments on my scope when, I should be touching off a carefully aimed shot at my soon to run away target.

Parting Shot as it were:
The secret to using a low powered scope at long range is the same secret for using a high powered scope at long range - from field positions, especially the sticks, you practice, practice, practice and then practice some more.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.[/I used to have a 257 Roberts, I love that old caliber

All of this made me start my search again. I couldn't find a Lyman the reticle I wanted but did come across an old El Paso Weaver K2.5 with a Duplex Reticle. It's on it's way to my house now & should be here in time for my birthday this Saturday. Happy Birthday to me. It's gonna be a good day in the neighborhood.

You are all Luddites. A fixed power scope is a variable power scope that is on one magnification. If you want a different fixed power, well, just change the magnification!

If your variable power scope shifts POI with change in magnification, it's time to find a new brand of scope. I couldn't imagine using a fixed power scope in this day and age. With zoom ranges increasing from standard 3x all the way up to 8x these days, variables have never been more versatile or simple or reliable. I can't think of one reason to use a fixed power scope.

If your variable power scope shifts POI with change in magnification, it's time to find a new brand of scope. I couldn't imagine using a fixed power scope in this day and age. With zoom ranges increasing from standard 3x all the way up to 8x these days, variables have never been more versatile or simple or reliable. I can't think of one reason to use a fixed power scope.

Within this thread, refer to my earlier post dated "Apr 28, 2016", specifically paragraphs one and two.

I did read it Velo and appreciate your thoughts but honestly, anyone with a bit of use can get used to ensuring their scope is on the right power at the right time. It's simple enough when you begin your hunting day to ensure it's at 4 or 6 or whatever fixed power you prefer in case things happen fast and then adjust as needed or time permits. As Hank said, "A fixed power scope is a variable power scope that is on one magnification. If you want a different fixed power, well, just change the magnification!" But, obviously you've found a system that works for you and that's fair enough but I still can't think of one reason not to use a variable.

Within this thread, refer to my earlier post dated "Apr 28, 2016", specifically paragraphs one and two.
Never hunted jack rabbits as you referred to in your previous post. But about 30 years ago my SF team was camped near an abandoned WWII Army Air Field north of San Francisco about 50-60 miles. There were jack rabbits everywhere. When they would stand up and stare at you, they were hilarious!!! I always wondered what it would be like to hunt them, but was told they were terrible to eat!

I did read it Velo and appreciate your thoughts but honestly, anyone with a bit of use can get used to ensuring their scope is on the right power at the right time. It's simple enough when you begin your hunting day to ensure it's at 4 or 6 or whatever fixed power you prefer in case things happen fast and then adjust as needed or time permits. As Hank said, "A fixed power scope is a variable power scope that is on one magnification. If you want a different fixed power, well, just change the magnification!" But, obviously you've found a system that works for you and that's fair enough but I still can't think of one reason not to use a variable.

Those of us who suffer severe Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder ("ADHD") more often than not get stymied by extra moving parts, when the popcorn suddenly hits the fan.
Otherwise for "normal" people, I actually do totally agree with you 100% (as described in paragraph one of my Apr 28, 2016 post).
In other words, if your thoughts are not constantly skittering all over the universe, like a drop of water in a hot frying pan (as mine usually are), today's extremely reliable variable power rifle scopes are the way to go, especially in widely varying conditions while hunting various species on the same walk about.

I'd like to know how you got that sheep in your Avatar off the mountain side!!!

Haha Velo, you need to spend a day in my head....wait is that squirrel? Not criticizing you velo as obviously you are very successful the way you do things, just saying that you are selling your ability short!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross