Firearms Insurance

Petey J

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited, Life Member NRA, North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association
@Randy Bo recently started a thread about “If you lost everything” and it set my wheels spinning.

A friend of mine had all his firearms stolen a couple years ago. He had everything scheduled with the insurance company, and had pics with serial numbers. But no insurance can replace “Grandpa’s Shotgun,” etc.

However, they are still assets and we all have a LOT of money wrapped up in firearms, knives, optics, hunting gear, etc.

So my question is, how many people actually have specific insurance coverage on ALL you firearms? Is it part of your regular homeowners/renters policy? Do you carry a separate policy? Is it through an organization (NRA, SCI, DSC) or are you independent? Are you pleased with your coverage? Would you recommend your carrier?

I don’t want specific details, just general information. Please don’t say how much you spend, limits, how many firearms you have, etc. Stay at 30,000 feet level.

If anyone has ever had to use this type of insurance, how was the experience? Was the claim handled successfully? Or did you have to fight tooth and nail to get compensation?

I will admit I don’t have remotely enough coverage. On multiple occasions, I’ve looked into it, but never pulled the trigger. One reason is I own multiple custom muzzleloaders that have no serial number and I don’t know how to list them.

I have a seperate rider/scheduled policy through our homeowners insurance provider. As you stated, documented by make, model, serial and pictures.
Hope to never know how well the policy works or did not...

Just make sure that however you have the information such as pictures, serial numbers, and such is stored at a different location than your home.

While we are generally talking about them being stolen you need to think about fires and total destruction of your home. It does no good if your home is lost in a fire where your firearm safe is melted into t pile if your records are also gone.

Great topic, I don't have insurance, and when I checked with my homeowners insurance, the amount was ridiculous for the amount of coverage. I could almost purchase Liberty's top of the line safe with 90 min fire rating for what they wanted a year. I want to say the premium was more than my home insurance premium. Maybe it's my insurance. I don't know.

Watching closely to see if anyone has had to use their insurance! Hopefully no one has had to but if they have, might be a great way to hear about some reputable companies should any of us consider changing insurance providers!

I should have said, my premiums are about 1.5% of the value of my collection. I think, been a while since I wrote the check.

I have had Lockton Affinity Outdoor firearm insurance for about six years now. NRA is a part of it because I already had the basic NRA policy prior to me joining Lockton Affinity. It covers all aspects of the guns I have regardless of where the damage or theft occurred. I was told by Lockton that the NRA basic policy ended for those new members as of about three years ago. I have never had a reason to use it. I pay around $160 per year.

My guns are all very well documented with both my insurance company and my trust. My insurance has an umbrella policy that covers everything in the house. When I travel with guns I take out another policy to cover that. I have never traveled overseas with a gun. But when I do I will open up a policy for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillianPet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.