Finally. . . a .458 LOTT

Oh, and I still want a .458 Lott, but I do think I will stop shooting way before you did!!!!

Now let's not start showing bruises and scars, this cannot go anywhere good knowing this group!

It now has enough velocity to shoot just a little bit low, FINALLY, groups still PERFECTLY CONSISTENT. Strong load. Stronger Rifle. I am still sold on Winchester M70s (hey, I'm poor). Son of a xxxxx they are light, though! 8.6 lbs. with this velocity and bullet weight gives a good 'recoil velocity' number for a LOTT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok ok here's my bruise, now you know Jaco is going to show us his scar ... This was day one, it got bigger and more colorful on days two and three. The question I got multiple times was "now which end of the rifle did this again?"

Attachments

• shoulder_bruise.jpg
    shoulder_bruise.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 133
"wear it like a badge"
- or - "What did you learn?????"
good thing you didn't do that on day one of a ten day safari - might kind of give me the yips

I've learned to treat my 500 Jeffery, with respect since then. 15 full power plus loads from the bench doing load development when I first got it
(hottest was 570g at 2500 fps) and I was too stubborn to quit when it felt like someone was hitting my shoulder with a baby sledge.
Now it's my favorite rifle to shoot offhand, recoil offhand seems non-existent. You have to treat the big bores with a little respect lol ...

An 8.6 lbs. gun is FAR DIFFERENT from 10+ lb'ers. Nevertheless, recoil is zip really. I just like to joke about it. Shooting 465 grain hard cast bullets at 1720 fps. from a handgun is infinitely more attention getting. (Hell, the bruise came from 40 rounds each day, over back to back days, from two rifles.) Looking at that clip, it's pretty clear that it's 'crippling' me, right?

Numbers for my LOTT based on 'chronographed' velocity, bullet weight, charge weight. . .

Calculated it. . .

Recoil Energy = ~87 ft. lbs
Recoil Velocity = ~26 fps.

Here's a good recoil calculator for the masochists who just have to know ...

Recoil Calculator

Yes sir, indeed it is. Some nice guys here and you are one of them, AND you have a 500 Jeff. Good qualities.

We are working on a single shot, 500 NE. Well, sort of. Using a 500 S&W Magnum Handi-Rifle, we are going to neck down a 500 NE case in the 500 S&W Mag FL Resizing die and ream out the chamber to 500 NE 3". Just for me to shoot in my backyard. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg