Female PH

It is definitely niche market, but teaming up with the right owner can work.

In addition to some men not wanting you to guide them, you are going to have other men's wives who will nix the idea real fast of their husband going halfway across the world to spend a week with some other chick.

Good luck to you

I never hunted with a female PH in Africa, but I hunted with a female guide/ph in Wyoming and Mexico. Both had grown up in the business were tough as nails and capable. At the end of the day, I see no difference in gender. I have a young daughter and tell her all the time she can doing anything she puts her mind to. If it's a dream go for it, as you will always wonder if you don't.

Hi! Best of luck! I have been told many times I cannot do something and when that happens, I usually tend to do the thing twice and take pictures! I have never hunted with a female PH however, I would not be opposed to doing so! I think you would actually appeal to women who may feel just more comfortable with another woman being there as you mentioned earlier.
I hope to be reading one day about your success!

Hi! Best of luck! I have been told many times I cannot do something and when that happens, I usually tend to do the thing twice and take pictures! I have never hunted with a female PH however, I would not be opposed to doing so! I think you would actually appeal to women who may feel just more comfortable with another woman being there as you mentioned earlier.
I hope to be reading one day about your success!

Thank you so much!

i totally know what you mean, i mean it may also make women hunters more comfortable going on a hunt and stay where her surroundings include lots of men and no females (not in a bad way) where if their was a female it would maybe draw a few more female customers.
I think you are right on the money with those thoughts. You could be a very valuable employee to a large Outfitter wanting to gain more female clients.

Love the big farm machinery in your avatar. Might be more money in farming right now than PHing;) But follow your dreams!

I think you are right on the money with those thoughts. You could be a very valuable employee to a large Outfitter wanting to gain more female clients.

Love the big farm machinery in your avatar. Might be more money in farming right now than PHing;) But follow your dreams!

hah i think it depends on wear you go on being a farm worker as in the uk farmer aren’t paid a lot of money but i think say in new zealand and certain areas in the US are paid very highly

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit. It's going to be a tough road, but anything worth doing usually is. Head up when mistakes are made, learn from it and move on. Stay positive. Smile and enjoy the little things. You will be great.

I mentioned this thread to my wife and she's right on board with you, having a female PH is a positive selling point for female clients like her.

Keep us up to date on your progress. You could have your first clients right here on this website. My bride might be up for Buffalo by the time you are qualified. ;)

Como una mujer joven que quiere convertirse en PH, sería un poco más difícil para mí obtener un aprendizaje y me mudaría del Reino Unido a África.

Sí, soy mujer, pero no soy exactamente pequeña y menuda, tengo 5,8 o 5,9, peso 12 piedras y estoy construida como una casa de ladrillos, jaja. He cazado toda mi vida y siempre me ha encantado ensuciarme, no, no eres una mujer normal.

Solo cuestiono, ya que las PH femeninas no se conocen realmente y ser PH es conocido como un trabajo masculino.

You can!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
@ellie123
My thoughts come from being the son of an amazing and tough mother, the husband of an amazing and feminine wife (my high school sweetheart and bride of 35 years), and the dad for a smart, athletic (marathon runner), and adventurous woman who is succeeding in a male-dominated field (engineering).

My advice - be 100% yourself. Make a PH role that fits perfectly around exactly who you are.

The only thing worse than failing is succeeding while pretending to be someone you're not.

You go, girl. You got this.

@ellie123 “… You Go Girl!” The only person who will stop you from being a Guide/PH is … well, You!

I spent 24-yrs in the U.S. Air Force (Medical) & my most memorable years were assigned to Air Mobility Hospital Unit … new version of the old school TV Show M.A.S.H. (you may have to Google that ;)). I worked w/ Men & Women from varying ethical backgrounds & in very difficult/challenging locales … recipe for life long friendship!

And the only thing that separated Success vs. Failure … was not gender, but individual commitment/drive to be the best professional in your speciality!

I beg to differ PH‘ing is a male physical kinda j.o.b. … it’s more attitude, personality, host & teacher + being a damn good problem solver!

Learn the trophies, … really learn the trophies & I‘m not talking horn or tusk length, etc. Work to be a steward of varying firearms & a crack shot ... your clients will need your calming voice when it counts. Buy some quality bino’s = to your current used car! :LOL: Get on a reputable Operation so you can properly mentor & develop a great mutual respect/friendship w/ your tracker … they have seen & know more than most but don’t let their pride get in the way.

My Go To Operation in Namibia has a young Huntress Guide, owners daughter & NO freebie! She had to travel to Germany & earn her schooling in Hotel Management & Culinary before starting her apprentice as a Guide!

She grew up w/ the trackers/skinners, crack shot & climbs better than a Hartmann!

Happy Trails

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit. It's going to be a tough road, but anything worth doing usually is. Head up when mistakes are made, learn from it and move on. Stay positive. Smile and enjoy the little things. You will be great.

I mentioned this thread to my wife and she's right on board with you, having a female PH is a positive selling point for female clients like her.

Keep us up to date on your progress. You could have your first clients right here on this website. My bride might be up for Buffalo by the time you are qualified. ;)

sounds good you’ll be the first to know !!

In addition to the afore-mentioned Patsy Hahn in Zambia, you might want to reach out to Tanya Blake in Zimbabwe. She’s a young PH who I believe is mostly hunting on the Bubye Valley Conservancy. I’m sure either of them could give you valuable insights into becoming a PH.

We have a group of couples going to S.A. next year. I have requested to have a female PH that we hunted with on a previous trip be a part of this one. There are some of the wives that want to have a ladies day out hunting.

It will not be easy for you, but if you do the best that you can. Be professional at all times and you will succeed.

Be Blessed

To be brutally honest I think it will be harder. Not because woman don't make great PHs but I think just the general nature the work lends itself more to males.

Females also fall pregnant and take months off for that or leave the profession to raise kids.

Definitely not a PC correct answer but that's the way of life!!

But it shouldn't stop you chasing your dreams, there are many very skilled female PHs and I'm sure several outfitters etc that might be interested in taking a female apprentice onboard.

Don't give up, go for it!
"Females also fall pregnant..."

Hahahaha, if only medicine and science could figure out how this keeps happening, if there was some way to predict or avoid these attacks of pregnancy, women-folk the world over would be safer!

In all seriousness, women in every career path can choose to have or not have a family and the flexible and clever can often manage both.

To the OP, If your dream is to be a PH, by all means pursue that dream and make it happen. It will be difficult, all dreams worth chasing are. Women are no less suited to hunting and often make better shooters with decent training. Just remember Men and women are equal but different. If you make it as a PH find a way to make different work for you, don't just strive to be another boy in a boy's club. In time you will have many clients seek you out for what you have brought to the profession, sadly, you will have just as many avoid you because of preconceived notions. Such is life, the herd mentality within humanity is not dissimilar to that in most of the animals you will see in Africa or anywhere else. Life is not fair, it preys on the weak of will and body. Forge a path and live your one life to the fullest, there are few guarantees in our short years here, but regret for dreams quit on too early is one of them.

They are not PH’s here per se, however I know 2 female master guides in Alaska. I’d prefer either one of them on my team when stuff gets real. Maternity leave? Hahahaha. My neighbor had her second son a week after she wrapped up 60 days of Spring Brown Bear. Probably weighs 120# soaking wet, packs a .416 Remington, and would bleed a person with a dull spoon and eat lunch in the shade of your corpse and you’d like it.

Go for it! You’ll be great!

As Kevin mentioned my wife Liesl is one of two Zimbabwe PHs. Was it hard for her becoming a Zimbabwe PH? In one word, yes.

You will also have other obstacles to overcome besides the normal obstacles. Such as residency or citizenship, work permit, drivers license. Make a decision on which country then work on the other obstacles.

We will assist you in any way that we can. Lon & Liesl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!