Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
Hunted
Africa, Europe, Asia, North America
Like most of us, I am on the social media sites. Today my newsfeed is full of information regarding the passing of Mr. Botha. What is so troubling is how much negativity there is surrounding his passing.

Yes, the initial gut reaction is anger at these negative and awful responses to the passing of a fellow human being but the true question should be:

How have we as hunter conservationists failed to communicate our message so badly?

How have we let it get to the point where both anti hunters AND non-hunters perceive us so negatively?

I recently returned from a bowhunt for Lion. My wife was concerned for my safety of course but she told me directly that if something were to happen to me she was worried that the main stream media would pick up the story and vilify her and my family. It's sad that the state of affairs has gotten so bad.

This is where we need SCI, DSC and the NRA to stand up and champion our cause. We need to be blowing up social media in a positive way just as the negative media is doing. Rant over.

I don't think you'll ever change the minds of the zealots no matter how much positive information you put out there. I have a hard time controlling my typing finger when I read the nasty, evil filth that spews from some of these people. You either have to make a conscious decision to ignore the hatred, or to give it back to them which just lowers you to their level.

The people maligning Botha are the same people that run and worship mainstream media. The same people that run 1st world higher education. The same people that are pushing identity politics. Etc.

Most normal people work for a living and if they have time to be on social media prefer to engage in things that are uplifting or enjoyable.

Regarding the organizations we are a part of:

NRA is focused on defending the 2nd amendment. Hunting is secondary.

DSC is to small, with to small of a budget to be the point man on hunting issues. I give them credit for trying during the Cecil episode, along with John Jackson.

SCI has forfeited its leadership roll and become a club for the award seekers. They were proud to avoid the spotlight of Cecil instead of embracing it as an opportunity to talk about the sport.

We have sheep this, duck that, quail whatever, etc, etc, etc. Hunting has many different organizations with different goals and agendas. There is no organization to promote and protect hunting like the NRA does with firearms.

There needs to be a organization to step into this roll. There needs to be an individual that is articulate and can think on his feet to be the voice and personality of hunting.

Unfortunately that organization and individual do not exist at the moment. I'm not sure they ever will in my lifetime.

I read some of those comments and it really upsets me. I told my wife if something happens to me she had to promise to never read the comments.

I think the honest truth is there is a lot of trolls, a lot of keyboard tough guys and people with low self esteem that want likes. I know some guys say they are hunters but their terminology is all wrong, and I honestly don't have the time of patience to call them out. I talk to a lot of city people and watch how they raise their kids, I am not sure there is enough education in the world, they have their Starbucks and their luxury car and everything else is a hassle. We made life too easy, we are further removed from the cycle of life, and we don't understand or appreciate what is necessary for life. The fact of the matter is they don't love animals, or wildlife, they love it in a zoo when it is convenient for them to see them, but god forbid a goose shit in their yard, a deer eat their flowers or a bat land in their attic. The bottom line is they can post in a comment section, sip their coffee and feel good about them selves and they didn't have to do a single thing or educate themselves or read or talk to anyone. That is why we are losing because conservation is hard, hunting is hard, butchering your own meat is hard, educating yourself and being a part of something is hard. But getting likes on social media is like the modern day participation trophy, it's easy and the loser feels good about themselves.

The people maligning Botha are the same people that run and worship mainstream media. The same people that run 1st world higher education. The same people that are pushing identity politics. Etc.

Most normal people work for a living and if they have time to be on social media prefer to engage in things that are uplifting or enjoyable.

The contemptible comments on social media ... and there are many ... are NOT the result of 1st world higher education (of which I am a VERY proud individual who works as hard as any individual on this listserve) ... they are the results of contemptible people!!

Many of the comments I have seen are horrible and contemptible. They are vile and disgusting. They are also a very clear reflection of the mentality of the person making such a comment. Sick.
Most of the "seventy percent" in the middle are not going on news or social media sites and posting vile filth. Many may not like the idea of elephant being hunted, but they are also decent people who value human life and have empathy for a wife and four children who have lost their husband and father.
It's the radical minority who is very well organized and very vocal, who also have many media allies to spread their lies and filth, that we are battling and losing to. The more the "normal" people in the middle hear their message and not ours, the more ground we lose.
Until we have an organization to champion our cause and fight the PR battle effectively, and until we fund this organization sufficiently, I'm afraid we shouldn't expect to gain ground or ultimately prevail.
Sadly, SCI has been a dismal failure in this respect. Local Chapters in many cases are wonderful groups of people who do a tremendous amount of good. This is why I remain a member. SCI Corporate... Well, 'nuf said.
Just my opinion.

There was supposed to be a new initiative by the NRA to promote hunting but im not sure it ever really got off the ground. About this time last year there were several announcements about it. We could certainly use their numbers, strength and financial support.

The contemptible comments on social media ... and there are many ... are NOT the result of 1st world higher education (of which I am a VERY proud individual who works as hard as any individual on this listserve) ... they are the results of contemptible people!!

We can agree to disagree. I think it starts in Primary & Secondary schools and continues on to College/University. I would suggest that conservatives are few on college campus. When I was in law school we had two liberals one of when was a bleeding heart type, except he liked to duck hunt. Now, if there is one conservative at the school I would be surprised. And we have come to the point in this country where diversity of thought is no longer acceptable on college campuses. Agree or disagree with Ann Coulter she should have been allowed to speak, and not have to cancel for her safety. We have safe spaces in schools/colleges. What has this country come to? And by the way, I would suggest that if you are in law school and you need a safe space, you might want to find a different job.

But, I will say this UT - Austin and S. F. Austin are worlds apart. And thank you for contributing to this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: JKT
When I was in high school almost everyone had a relative that had a farm they could hunt on. Its getting harder to find free hunting and as farms got bought up and hunting became part of the income I think a lot of people toke a negative attitude towards hunting. Also there are some who think we who hunt Africa are taking money away from the US hunting industry. Us hunters really kind of hurt ourselves. A far as facebook goes it is full of people pushing their own agenda and the more friends you get on it the more worthless it is. Using messenger though is a cheep way to communicate with overseas friends. I guess you can store some photos there. I don't pay much attention to facebook its full of trolls.

We can agree to disagree. I think it starts in Primary & Secondary schools and continues on to College/University. I would suggest that conservatives are few on college campus. When I was in law school we had two liberals one of when was a bleeding heart type, except he liked to duck hunt. Now, if there is one conservative at the school I would be surprised. And we have come to the point in this country where diversity of thought is no longer acceptable on college campuses. Agree or disagree with Ann Coulter she should have been allowed to speak, and not have to cancel for her safety. We have safe spaces in schools/colleges. What has this country come to? And by the way, I would suggest that if you are in law school and you need a safe space, you might want to find a different job.

But, I will say this UT - Austin and S. F. Austin are worlds apart.

I have taught at 6 universities and most students are independents ... one of the purposes of college is to get students to question everything, including authority ... and their political thoughts are often VERY fluid and an undergraduate who campaigned for Obama is very likely to have campaigned for Trump while in law school.

You have conflated being liberal with making these moronic statements ... while the people who made the statements are most likely liberal ... liberals by in large do not make these statement. IF a liberal were to use the same logical fallacy, they could use the recent stabbing of an African American by an Alt-Reich conservative in Maryland to state that conservatives (as in ALL of them) stab African Americans ... which, of course would be COMPLETELY WRONG .. A conservative stabbed an African American. So liberals (as in ALL of them) don't make these hateful statement ... a few liberals did ... and you can't blame that on College/Universities.

Sorry I was not clear, I was talking about the law school professors not the students, the students were a mixture.

I will now age myself, back when I was an undergraduate in the 70-80's student's did question everything, but we still respected another person right to speak and their beliefs. From what I see today, via media - print, radio, tv, social, that is no longer the case. It's shut and/or shout down anything you don't agree with and that mainly comes from the left. How can you question anything , if you can't hear or listen to anything? You are right, it's not only or all liberals/progressive that make moronic statements, that comes from both sides. But they (liberal/progressives) tend to make more than their fair share.

You bring up an excellent point @lwaters As human beings become more urbanized and the population shifts from rural to urban, people become further and further detached from the realities of life and death.
Humans must kill to survive. We kill animals, plants and fish for food. Insects and reptiles for safety, food, comfort (don't want spoders and ants in the hoise). Bacterias and viruses for health and survival, etc. etc.
As hunters we choose to acknowledge and embrace death as part of life. We understand that every animal that ever has and ever will set foot on this earth is going to die. Ourselves included. We acknowledge and honor the death of an animal that provides sustenance for us and our families or the indigenous peoples of Africa.
I will hazard a guess that people who are against hunting would quickly reassess their beliefs if all of a sudden there was no grocery store or burger joint to provide dinner. Isn't that where hamburger comes from? :eek: When they and their kids go hungry, killing would quickly become an acceptable option. They simply enjoy the luxury of having someone else do their killing for them. If you don't see it, it ain't there, right?

If I am arrogant and piss you off to bad!! It means the truth hurts.

Here's only 8 of the facts of life! As I have come to learn in the past couple of decades.

1. There is and are people out there including yourself who can speak up
for hunters and hunting.

2. It takes numbers, "bribery", "one form or another" and the threat of lost votes to get action in the political areana.

3. If. "you" want to be noticed cause a controversy! BAD NEWS IS OUR GOOD NEWS!!!! The so called squeaky wheel gets oiled.

4. There are a lot of hunting and fishing and conservation organizations......how many do you belong to?......we are all wanting to protect our right to hunt, fish and conserve our natural resourses.

Ask: WHAT IS KEEPING THESE ORGANIZATIONS ( NRA, NMLRA, DU, QU, PU, PHASA, IPSA, SASS, SCI DSC, ETC., ETC.,ETC.,) FROM BECOMING ONE ORGANIZATION TO REPRESENT THE WHOLE?????

5. WE ( HUNTERS) have gotten soft! Hunters and fisherman are the only conservationists!! Regulated hunting and fishing is the only way to protect the natural resources we enjoy.

6. Poaching, and unethical hunting practices (for ANY reason!)., SHOULD be condemned by ALL ethical hunters and hunting organizations in ALL media forms!. By calling attention that these practices are and looked upon as unacceptable by responsible outdoorspeople ( men and women).

Yet, it is still all about the size of the trophy.

Why????

WHY Do 99% (as seen in the media and by observing conversational hunters) of todays hunters compete for who has the biggest/ largest, most (# killed during a season/lifetime), type (slams), etc..

WHY HAS HUNTING TURNED TO SHOOTING AND BRAGGING RIGHTS?????

7. WHY has hunting gone from a neccessity for gathering meat to becoming a sport for gathering bragging rights?

8. What are "WE" as hunters teaching our younger generation? Which is more important.... to learn what hunting is about...food... tracking...enjoying the outdoors and survival??...or how to go outside... sit...shoot....come home...?? Brag about having the mount on the wall!.

YES!! I am sinical! I am old school! I am and will always be a meat hunter!

And I teach old school when introducing the next generation into the GREAT OUTDOORS(!!).

I teach how to enjoy, survive, be apart of and what it means...the Great Outdoors....be it in the hills/ mountains, woods, water, although no more.....sorry to say...the desert.

This is my rant.

Ask yourself: What are you teaching your child? What are you doing to teach others young and old about hunting, fishing, and being outdoors....and not inside on a gadget?

WE ALL NEED TO BECOME ONE ORGANIZATION!

Last edited:
@Ridge Runner can you be a bit less ambiguous? I'm not sure I understand :A Stirring:
:A Outta:

:E Frightened:
Just razzn' ya man. I like it!!! :D Beers:

I like TOM have watched the hate on social websites for a few millisecond. You are not going to change people. This world is going to hell if you are a hunter. We have become so removed as a society in following outdoor traditions. Most people in the big cities are buying their meals prepared. Pets have replaced children in families and people in the world are delusional about how the wildlife process happens in Africa. Most people are addicted to their phones and Ipads.

The crap being thrown at a good mans memory is a shame. I dont have FB.....the wife does. I don't pay attention to these anti hunting hate monsters and their postings. They no doubt feed off one another in a frenzy and they will move on to the next target soon enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg