Favorite Plains Game

What is the fascination with the Blue Wildebeest? Serious question, is it the look or something else?
If I had answered this question after my first safari I probably would have answered blue wildebeest. I had no intention of hunting one before I arrived, but decided right away I wanted one. It is something about the look, living in small herds, and also they are a really impressive set of horns once you have in your hands. Now though, I still think they are a great trophy, but the hunting style is exactly the same as other general plains game, so I don’t get as excited.

I would add, having given my answer of kudu... whenever I see well down photos of live animals, whether in groups or singles, the two that consistently take my breath away, all these decades later, are kudu and buffalo.

What is the fascination with the Blue Wildebeest? Serious question, is it the look or something else?

I don't know but it just seems to me it's the most quintessential African antelope. It's the ungulate that most of the worlds people would correctly identify as African. If left to its own accord is the most free terrestrial animal ever known. It's fast. It's strong. It's unique and ubiquitous. It's brindled and blue. Wow, I love them even more now...

Seriously, I want to share the bush with a blue gnu more than any other animal.

I will add to what @Rubberhead said... I kinda wanted one when I went over, but not HAD to have one. It was a part of my package. As it turned out, it wound up being the first animal I shot, and we hiked a crap ton of miles to finally have a chance to shoot it. And when it came time to decide what got done to what, as far as trophies and decisions... I went with two shoulder mounts: my first kudu and my wildebeest. I can't WAIT to see it when it's done, and I look forward to hunting them again.

Whatever DisneyTM features being shot by a rather unkempt old-timer in their animations (geared at Children) they intend to make into good, compliant lib-dem-antis! Thx for giving us the option to choose more than one. I think an Eland is enough. (farmed by Putin's followers) "It (like elk/red deer/moose) just tastes so damn good!" (not to mention they are spectacularly beautiful animals that can achieve weights of around 2,400 lbs. and can jump a 12' fence!) -Spaulding, Cpt./Ruggsville TX c. '00.

LimpopoSA20070724 057.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn’t expecting that answer…. But it’s still a great answer! Lol
And, it's more important that what species someone considers their "favorite." I happen to like, and try to fund 'em all. I think most hunters should put their $ into the springbok slam. ;)

My vote goes to the Kudu. Fantastic, majestic animal. I took an old bull in 2016 that had massive bases and 4 inches of ivory tips showing. Horns were in the high 50's but I wouldn't trade that old bull for the next #1 bull. I guess the #2 animal I love to hunt is the Gemsbok.

My vote goes to the Kudu. Fantastic, majestic animal. I took an old bull in 2016 that had massive bases and 4 inches of ivory tips showing. Horns were in the high 50's but I wouldn't trade that old bull for the next #1 bull. I guess the #2 animal I love to hunt is the Gemsbok.
We need pictures of that Kudu! Lol

Well, I'm not on my regular computer but when iIget home I'll see about posting a picture of him.

I have enjoyed pursuing all the various subspecies of Bushbuck and Sitatunga.

Another vote for eland, hunted properly, by tracking. It is the only PG animal I have made a specific trip to Africa for. Tracking eland in the Kalahari is something that just has to be experienced.

Very impossible to choose! Should I pick the most difficult, the most popular or the most handsome? Huh, I don’t know!

For certain I know nothing about “whack ‘em and stack ‘em”- don’t understand it.

The PG that impressed me the most for difficulty to hunt were zebra that were heavily hunted and/or predated on living in broken woodland country. Tracking eland with Bushmen in that 100 million year old sand of the Kalahari also tops the list for impressive animals and rewarding hunting.

And of course that is grossly unfair to all the other PG, each one worthy in their own way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
huixinzhouli682

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!