Factory 7x57 ammo for black bear

Anything that would be good for deer would be good for a 250 pound bear.

Though I have been known to go for an overkill. 325 grain CEB raptor at 2,950 fps.

That seems to work! Thats what happened to the bear I shot with a .416 340 woodleigh at 2,600fps. Seems they don't hold up too well to large bore, heavy bullets at high speed!

Welcome to the 7X57 club great ctg. You are going to love the 7X57 (also known as the .275 Rigby). Of the ammo available to you I suggest the Federal 175gr. I'm a huge fan of heavier bullets & a fan of Federal ammo too. I think you'll be well served with the 175gr bullet. Enjoy your 7X57!
Thank you. I have always loved the 7x57! When I was a kid my dad taught me to hunt with an old Spanish m1916 7x57 Mauser and have loved it ever since! I finally found a modern rifle chambered in it so I can now use it to it's full potential

My 14 year old daughter killed her black bear with a 140gr Nosler Partion out of a 7mm-08.

She ended up with a complete pass through and was dead within 40 yards with a double lung shot

I've killed dead in their tracks 3 bears, (1) .50 cal 300gr shockwave (inline) and 2 with a .338 Nosler Accubonds.

I haven't seen any of it before, but I wish it was available. Looking at it I'd like to give it a try!
I was looking around on the PPU web site and they stated that the ATF would no longer allow the importation of the "Grom" line of ammunition into the US. No explanation was given but that is why we haven't seen any new stock for quite some time in the states.

Where will you be bear hunting? The bears here get up to just south of 900 lb. I'd recommend the 175-ish grain ammo. I still have a box or two of factory laying around that I wanted to test out in my gun and see if the rifling supports this rather large slug. It did not in my neighbors thus he gave me the ammo. If it doesn't work out I could make a deal with you. His is an old sporterized military gun whereas mine is a modern custom m70 so if I were a betting man I think they'll workout. I scooped up someone else's project so to date I have not determined the twist rate. That said it shoots one hole groups with 140 grain!!!

175g Core-Lokt is plenty and a good choice. A lighter A-Frame would do the job as well. Black bears are pretty soft skinned so I wouldn't personally use a monometal bullet at 7x57 Mauser speeds. I'd be afraid they wouldn't expand at those velocities.

Of the factory loads you mentioned, I would pass over the 140's and choose the heavier 175-173 grain bullet for bears. And between the Federal and S&B, the S&B wins by a significant margin because in my rifles it is about 200 FPS faster. The SPCE bullet has worked well for me on several deer and one big wolf, in every case it cut a clean entry (good for letting blood out), expanded well, and penetrated deeply then exited. I would be confident choosing it for black bear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ktman

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.