Experiences with Ruger .375 Alaskan?

I own both a 416 Ruger Alaskan and a 375 Ruger Alaskan. The 416 Alaskan seems easier to shoot than the 375 Ruger. The 416 is a 20' barrel Hogue stocked rifle with a decent recoil pad. The 375 Alaskan is a 23' barrel laminate stocked barrel with a thin recoil pad. I really need to add a better recoil pad to the 375. I have a CZ 458 Lott with a Pachmayr recoil pad that is more tolerable to shoot than the 375.

I believe my Ruger 375 Alaskan was distributed by Davidson's.
wm_4803794.jpg

Here is a size comparison image
20200326_073755.jpg
between the 20' barrel 416 Ruger Alaskan....the 375 23' barrel Ruger Alaskan Laminate. The top rifle is a CZ 485 Lott with a 25' barrel.

I used to have a Hogue stock on my 375 Ruger. It definitely helps with recoil. I just didn't like it so I went another direction. I found the LOP to be way to long on mine. I trimmed it off about a inch and that improved handling somewhat.

Definitely an older thread brought to life.
The Alaskan 375 & 416 Rugers a couple of my favorites.
I replaced the Hogue stocks on mine. Though they are certainly serviceable, I prefer a slimmer fore end. I have become very fond of the 20" barrels.

I have a Ruger African, 23" bbl, fully ceracoted, with a Pendleton stock. The composite stock softens the recoil a bit compared to the original wood, also, could easily get a 13 3/8" LOP. With a Leupold VX5HD 2-10x42, it weighs 9 lbs. Handles like an '06. And that's the reason to go with the Ruger rather than the H&H - the light, handy, and inexpensive rifle. This is a much handier rifle than my 375 Weatherby, and it doesn't seem to kick noticeably harder than the Wby shooting .375 H&H. It's nice to have an additional 150fps out of it, doesn't hurt a thing, especially if you're in the alpine country.

Nothing wrong with .375 H&H, and it's useful for this comparison: if a .375 H&H will do it, then a .375 Ruger will certainly do it, likely just a hair better. And the smaller, lighter rifle is of benefit to me, even if not to anyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross