Experiences with Ruger .375 Alaskan?

t165

Reaction score
Media
I own both a 416 Ruger Alaskan and a 375 Ruger Alaskan. The 416 Alaskan seems easier to shoot than the 375 Ruger. The 416 is a 20' barrel Hogue stocked rifle with a decent recoil pad. The 375 Alaskan is a 23' barrel laminate stocked barrel with a thin recoil pad. I really need to add a better recoil pad to the 375. I have a CZ 458 Lott with a Pachmayr recoil pad that is more tolerable to shoot than the 375.

I believe my Ruger 375 Alaskan was distributed by Davidson's.
wm_4803794.jpg

t165

Reaction score
Media
Here is a size comparison image
20200326_073755.jpg
between the 20' barrel 416 Ruger Alaskan....the 375 23' barrel Ruger Alaskan Laminate. The top rifle is a CZ 485 Lott with a 25' barrel.

Alaska Luke

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Texas, Arkansas, Alaska
I used to have a Hogue stock on my 375 Ruger. It definitely helps with recoil. I just didn't like it so I went another direction. I found the LOP to be way to long on mine. I trimmed it off about a inch and that improved handling somewhat.

ldmay375

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Definitely an older thread brought to life.
The Alaskan 375 & 416 Rugers a couple of my favorites.
I replaced the Hogue stocks on mine. Though they are certainly serviceable, I prefer a slimmer fore end. I have become very fond of the 20" barrels.

EfRed

AH member
Reaction score
I have a Ruger African, 23" bbl, fully ceracoted, with a Pendleton stock. The composite stock softens the recoil a bit compared to the original wood, also, could easily get a 13 3/8" LOP. With a Leupold VX5HD 2-10x42, it weighs 9 lbs. Handles like an '06. And that's the reason to go with the Ruger rather than the H&H - the light, handy, and inexpensive rifle. This is a much handier rifle than my 375 Weatherby, and it doesn't seem to kick noticeably harder than the Wby shooting .375 H&H. It's nice to have an additional 150fps out of it, doesn't hurt a thing, especially if you're in the alpine country.

Nothing wrong with .375 H&H, and it's useful for this comparison: if a .375 H&H will do it, then a .375 Ruger will certainly do it, likely just a hair better. And the smaller, lighter rifle is of benefit to me, even if not to anyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfolan

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?