Euro vs shoulder

@Bill DeHaan That is very well thought out, practical, and helpful advice! It is so accurate and makes so much sense!
I don't think I felt the same way on my first Safari, as I decided to shoulder mounts everything!! LOL My reasoning was that I didn't know if I would ever be able to return. Six months later I was on my second Safari!
I'm still not a huge fan of Euro's, but they are starting to grow on me a bit more. The practicality of them, however, is something that cannot be denied. I may be going that route on my upcoming trip in April, depending on what ends up in the salt. Thank you for your input!

Just measured my pedestal mounted buf: 65" high x 36" wide x 54" deep. My sable is 72" high x 27" wide x 36" deep. These are including pedestals. Big animals take up a lot of space but if you can get them into a corner it helps. You can always stack mount them, too.

The "spiral slam" and a buffalo on one hunt? Educate me on what is meant by the spiral slam. I have one acquaintance who, after many years of hunting and enormous expense, has taken representatives of all African's spiral horned antelope (the Lord Derby Eland and Mountain Nyala would be particularly tricky on a single hunt.) So, I am clearly missing something. What is a spiral slam?

But, back to your question. A Euro of large antlers or horns over the fireplace and TV would be impressive (elk or kudu). A cape buffalo works well on a pedestal and it can be shifted as new things are acquired. Above the TV, I am afraid a buffalo shoulder mount would be very much out of proportion. I mix euro's and traditional taxidermy, and I can usually do two for one (euro to shoulder mount) on most African game, and as much as three to one on antlered game. I should note that I am pretty much out of space now, and unless it is world class, the "trophy" will be in the photo/journals I build following each adventure. But I digress. Like me, you have lots of window space, which is great for a comfortable, attractive room - it is also, unfortunately, lousy for hanging dead animals and art (another of my passions). Euros above the windows can work - just watch the relative proportions. The one wall would be fine for a couple of shoulder mounts - maybe set them diagonally with a bit of Africana (shield, art, etc.).

Good luck with the project - it is like playing a room-sized jigsaw puzzle.

168237-4a8bb6436d7e1f895c7044a99a674cde.jpg
Perhaps we can get @BRICKBURN to post this as a new thread to avoid messing up the OP's thread. It might make for an interesting discussion, not least because I've been on a variant/species/subspecies kick recently!

I too was more than a bit taken aback when I first saw an outfitter in South Africa advertising a "spiral horn slam." Early in my hunting career I decided to pursue the "traditional" nine spiral horned antelope - and it took me many years and visits to some pretty inhospitable places to achieve it.

Far be it from me to get in the way of someone's marketing efforts, but I do think it devalues what I think is a pretty meaningful accomplishment to use the expression "slam" in this way.

Nice room but too many windows, lol. Sun light is a killer of shoulder mounts or any taxidermy when capes are involved. Judging by your space it looks like euro mounts would work best. And that from a taxidermy fan. ;)

all windows are low E argon filled and double paned the pouches really cut down on direct sun to any part of the room, but yes I have a lot of windows — a Vampire would not like it here

Rt now I am thinking of following:
1st I have a room that is 26'X46'x13' eave and I am going to africa for the first time --
I would take the photos again and have them show all the way to the top of the ceiling so people can see how much room is up there instead of the floor.

@Red Leg
We both know, that "spiral slam" in this context is commercial slang on this forum, south african section advertising. It sounds really good! 4 species. Achivable in 7 to 10 days.

But in all reality, from all the hunters in this forum and elswhere, true spiral slam has been completed by very few dedicated hunters.

I suppose that true spiral horn slam is accomplished less frequently then famous big 5, or DG 7 - which can be done theoretcially and practically in only one country (Nam, or RSA), or practically three countries at most (Nam, RSA, Zim)
With declining security situation in some African Countries, true spiral horn slam, is going to be even harder to accomplish.

Everyone has their own taste. As I thought my first safari was going to be my only one, I had all but two animals mounted with two, a warthog and a bushbuck full mounts. Only a BWB and an impala were euros.
I don’t have a dedicated trophy room so I have mounts all thru the house.
I was able to go on a second safari and once again had mostly taxidermy done. Only my second gemsbok and my eland, due to a mount’s size, are euros.
Just as a point of reference, I measured my cape buff shoulder mount. Top to bottom is 36” and wall to nose is 48”.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 8.34.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 8.34.43 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 8.34.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 8.34.46 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 8.34.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 8.34.48 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 8.34.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 8.34.50 AM.png
    603.2 KB · Views: 158
All that planning every inch of space is overrated, get a vague idea and do what you feel is right for each animal and figure out the details later ;) pedestals, putting mount closer than youd really like, you will get creative when you get tight on space

I like shoulder mounts. Granted, they take some real estate but it's worth it to me. I have my big fellas on pedestrals (buf, eland, sable). I have three springbok on a vertical section of tree trunk and one full body sproinging.

I like to look at the battle scars on faces, necks and shoulders and try to imagine the story of each one. If some of these guys look like this, what did the other guy look like? Even some of the little guys have some impressive scars.

I am totally illiterate when it comes to this computer stuff. I don't know how to get pix from my phone to here. I can email them to an email address, though. PM me an email address if interested. I'll have to get my grandson to learn me how to do that.

I like shoulder mounts. Granted, they take some real estate but it's worth it to me. I have my big fellas on pedestrals (buf, eland, sable). I have three springbok on a vertical section of tree trunk and one full body sproinging.

I like to look at the battle scars on faces, necks and shoulders and try to imagine the story of each one. If some of these guys look like this, what did the other guy look like? Even some of the little guys have some impressive scars.

8B528B07-7602-453B-95BE-A699E14DDF12.jpeg
A40E413D-7AC1-4F83-9B3F-8F9D9B04A66E.jpeg
D3556C7C-9B45-4DD0-8F74-692B3D52CFC6.jpeg
5AC5B09B-9661-4AB6-A684-71D397A752D3.jpeg
174AFD6A-2627-4C83-823C-5C09A8E5D39D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few but I like the pedestals. I built them for the animal that is on them. I had my buf on the wall but it was over a door and too high to be noticed. I had no space big enough for the eland on a wall so he had to go on the floor. I have some wall space left if I go on another hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg