Ethiopian Air and bows

Dee S

AH fanatic
Joined
Aug 16, 2015
Messages
727
Reaction score
1,326
Location
San Antonio, TX
Media
135
Hunting reports
Africa
5
Member of
Nimrod Rifle Club, DSC, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Wyoming, Kansas, Alaska, Namibia, Botswana, Northern Cape, Alberta, Natal, Zambia
We will be traveling with bows on Ethiopian Air in June. The airline states they have no problem with bows, already verified. My question pertains to the layover in Addis Ababa. The US form 4474 is for firearms, but I've heard they may require it for the bows when they inspect the bow cases?
Has anyone traveled through there with their bows that can lend advice?

Thanks
 
I will be traveling on Ethiopian in mid-May. I will ask them in Addis Ababa when I transit there.

However, the Form 4457 is a general form used to show you “own” something when returning to the USA, so you do not have to pay tax on the item(ie think guns, jewelry, camera, etc.

Since the USA does not have a gun license or ownership form, most African countries use the 4457 as proof of ownership. For you and your bow, it seems to me to be on the safe side, I would visit the CBP and just get a 4457 and you are covered either way.

Just my 2 cents.
 
In 2018 I flew Ethiopian with a layover in Addis Ababa going to Windhoek with a bow. I did not have a 4457 but it wouldn’t hurt to get one. No issues at all. They did check it at my final destination as my case looks like a gun case, but again no issues. Another person with me did the same with a bow with no issues.
 
Thanks. I will get it done then. Can't hurt
 
I flew through Addis to J’burg with two rifles. On both the inbound and outbound layovers, I was escorted into the baggage handling area below the terminal so that they could inspect the rifles and my papers - specifically, they wanted to see licenses (which, in their view, the 4457 covered). The only awkward moment was when one of the agents insisted that they needed originals and I had certified copies (as permitted in South Africa). There was some difficulty explaining what a certified copy was, as they kept saying that they needed the original to ensure the copy was accurate. I still smile when I think of the debate and would have loved to see it as a third party. It was pretty amusing. In the end, the rifles made it safely in both directions without any delay. I don’t know if this applies only to rifles or to any type of weaponry that transits the airport. Overall, my experience with Ethiopian Air was very positive.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,364
Members
169,543
Latest member
BarneyBroc
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top