Elk hunting For Non resident

Good question, not to hijack the thread what is the cost of an average free range elk Hunt for a foreigner in the the States.
My budget for this hunt is arround 10-15td$ + under this I think no chance to get a real mature bull.

Agree with the Hill ranch but even there you won’t have a guarantee at a bull that size. I did work on the Hill ranch for a few years (not for Bobby Hill but on the ranch when I was in the oil and gas industry). I know that ranch very very well. They have amazing elk and some that will go over the 360 mark however, the waiting list is long. I also have a client that has hunted the Hill ranch several times and is extremely picky about what he shoots. He has taken a lot of bulls there and only 2 broke 350. I mounted the first one and the 2nd is in my freezers waiting to be mounted.
... start planing the hunt in looking for an area with the genetic to bring out bulls in this class - the rest is luck and hunting ...

If you are wealthy, you can bid on the Arizona Governors Elk Permit. It allows you to hunt for 12 months, with any legal weapon, in most hunt units. A good outfitter could help you get a 390" - 400" Bull.
I believeLast years high bidder was $225,000.00 USD
I heard from this option - but my budget is only 10-15% of this ...

For a reference, this bull scored 337. Long ways from 360+

09D1597F-E8DB-4340-8178-857F1E718FA4.jpeg

The reality is that a 360 class bull is enormous. 99.9% of all elk hunters will never even see a bull that size, outside of estate hunting, let alone have a shot opportunity at one. People really don’t realize exactly how big a bull that size is until they actually see one in person.
... so I will reduce my expectations - for us in Europe it is difficult to assess what is realistic - we only get photos of the really big ones

Colorado's Ranching For Wildlife

Both will be fully guided and the expitadations of a 360 bull should be good with either one. However I doubt that you will find one to guarantee a 360 bull.
Hi Jim
Have you ever done or tried to get a Ranching For Wildlife tag?
I have drawn two of them in the past 15 years at different ranches. Drawing the tag gets you permission to be on the ranch both were on foot from the gate one let me bring a friend with me I hunted the whole period and came away with the tags as a sovereign when it was done. One gave me permission to shoot a spike in a 4 point area since bulls were not any where around. You were just told where you could go no guiding.
I am seven points into trying to get another and might just burn the points on an area close to home.
Tom

I have looked at them and forgotten about them when I see their regulations and rules. I like the ability to roam property to see what I can find.

On the size of elk antlers, here is one of my bulls that went 343 gross
dFff4kZ.jpg

And here are a set of antlers that measured 395

K7Vj3N5.jpg

Both were taken on public land. The 395 one was with a outfitter hunting on public land in western Colorado

Last edited by a moderator:
@pimes I have elk hunted a lot in Montana, public land and some private, low fenced ranch. For most elk hunters, anything over 300 is considered trophy class. Any 6x6 is usually considered a good elk to harvest. In 20 years of elk hunting, I have one 6x7 bull over 300 inches. My most recent hunt was in late Oct 2020 and both my son-in-law and I took respectable 6x6 bulls in the 270-280 class.

These are two elk hunt reports I posted:

... so I will reduce my expectations - for us in Europe it is difficult to assess what is realistic - we only get photos of the really big ones
That is a good plan. Check for outfitters in Wyoming, Colorado, and Montana. There are a lot of places that have either over the counter or land owner tags. In the places that require a draw the outfitter can assist you with that.

Look at the Mescalero Indian hunts or White Mountain Apache hunts, free range big bulls but $10k+ limited tags but can buy outright and no draw.

388EC384-BA4E-4DEF-966F-A80D204D4FC0.png

360 muzzleloader in 2020

Pictures above for size and score reference only and are free range. We are booked years in advance and have no openings and not booking hunts through AH. I think any bull elk over 300 is a trophy and really look impressive at 320+. We take four to six a year over 350 in our Colorado areas but you have to be in the right place at the right time. I would lower your hopes to 320+.

Pictures above for size and score reference only and are free range. We are booked years in advance and have no openings and not booking hunts through AH. I think any bull elk over 300 is a trophy and really look impressive at 320+. We take four to six a year over 350 in our Colorado areas but you have to be in the right place at the right time. I would lower your hopes to 320+.
Just considering the areas you hunt where getting a 350+ bull is possible, what is 4-6 a year as a percentage?

Just considering the areas you hunt where getting a 350+ bull is possible, what is 4-6 a year as a percentage?
21% in 2020 but had a guy turn down a 350 wanting 370+. I told him he was crazy. We have some repeat hunters that get silly always wanting bigger and bigger.

Your best chance on a 360+ bull will be the Hill ranch southern Colorado or the Apache reservation In Arizona.
I agree with this, but would also look at New Mexico. Private hunting grounds in New Mexico do not require getting a tag through the permit lottery. There are legitimate New Mexico outfitters that can guide you to a nice bull on private ground in New Mexico. No so sure about the odds of a 360 bull... they exist but require either a lot of luck or a lot of time hunting. In most of the WESTERN USA "any bull is a good bull!"

Good luck to you.

Try Ranching for wildlife in Colorado. It is a conservation program. No guarentee for 360+.
But Big Elks are taken fro there. It is north west of colorado. I assume it is migrating elks.
They have land owners Tag. No drawing. To draw for that area it takes many many years if at all in a life time.
The Ranching for Wildlife program here in Colorado is for residents only. They closed it off to non residents about fifteen years ago. I’ve hunted these before and you wouldn’t see a bull elk that size anyway. If you want a 360 bull you’ll have to look at AZ or NM on a private ranch and pay more than a trophy Cape buffalo hunt in Africa. Good luck!

The Ranching for Wildlife program here in Colorado is for residents only. They closed it off to non residents about fifteen years ago. I’ve hunted these before and you wouldn’t see a bull elk that size anyway. If you want a 360 bull you’ll have to look at AZ or NM on a private ranch and pay more than a trophy Cape buffalo hunt in Africa. Good luck!
Not too long ago i seen the add for north west most units advertising no draw landowner tags.
Are you saying they are not available to nonresidents. Even if it cost that much you get
To eat Elk meat for a long time. I think they run
12to 15k.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg