Eland Cartridges for recoil sensitive shooter?

channelkat

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mozambique
My boy is quite thin and recoil shy. He is currently shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have been willing to let him hunt elk with it (he hasn’t harvested one yet), but it wouldn’t be my first choice. Now we are in the early stages of planning a Namibia or SA hunt. I’m on a quest to complete the tiny ten, but he really wants an Eland.

Without getting into the rifle weight or other recoil mitigation efforts, what are the lowest recoiling cartridges we should be looking at for Eland? I don’t know where exactly we will be hunting yet, but I Id like to have him shooting something that can ethically be expected to dispatch an eland at reasonably distance.

7mm-08? It's often said It's the ballistic twin of the 7x57.

With a good load, projectiles, practice and shot placement it's probably adequate. Also probably minimal but I like it.

Depends not only on the caliber but also take in consideration the weight of the gun. From what I learned on this forum I would not go lower than 7 mm in general for hunting Eland. There are always exceptions to a rule.

Also consider a muzzle break to reduce recoil.

Whilst I really love the 7x57 as recommended by other members, I believe that a 30/06 with a good 180 gr bonded bullet is better medicine for Eland especially if the shot is less than perfect.

I would let him practice with it slowly firing a few shots at gongs or something else reactive and fun whilst getting him used to the increase in recoil.

Best of luck with the hunt!

Hunting in Africa means standing while you shoot, the rifle rests on shooting sticks.
Go let him practice this shooting position instead of telling fairytales of recoil...

Btw. an Eland can be heavier than a buffalo. Please consider the legal minimum in the respective countries ( https://napha-namibia.com/qa/ ) and have a look in Chris Robertsons "the perfect shot".
His recommendation is 9,3mm / .375" or even a .40" caliber.

PS: our PH (>30 yrs experience on DG) this year in Zimbabwe complained that especially American hunting guests are not well trained and not capable to shoot well with adjusted calibers.

Try and find a rifle with a sound moderator fitted for him to try. It will make a significant difference, a 300 with a moderator fitted is a different animal and would be readily available in most lodges/PH's in namibia and south africa. My daughter at 14 managed to shoot one comfortabley and she was lightly built.

30-06 although a great cartridge recoils more than a 7x57mm...right bullet right shot placement Eland aint going nowhere....30-06 pulled shot eland going forever....

The 7x57mm is a truely great cartridge using premium heavy for caliber bullets it is a killer.....do not bow to the need for speed with lighter bullets....

I have killed Cape buffalo with one.

I would ignore issues with muzzle brake, and would fit one, to something like 300 win mag.

I would ignore any recommendations for a muzzle brake. Instead, go with a suppressor. My daughter was shooting 300 WM and 7mm RM equipped with a suppressor and has had many one shot kills on PG.

As far as 7x57, personally I would not hunt eland with it. I recently used my 7x57 with 160 gr Swift A Frames on sable and a few other PG. It did great on these size animals. It would not be my choice for eland. I would prefer a 338 WM or 375 (Ruger or H&H).

30-06 although a great cartridge recoils more than a 7x57mm...right bullet right shot placement Eland aint going nowhere....30-06 pulled shot eland going forever....

The 7x57mm is a truely great cartridge using premium heavy for caliber bullets it is a killer.....do not bow to the need for speed with lighter bullets....

I have killed Cape buffalo with one.

7x57 175 gr @ 2500 fps
30/06 180 gr @ 2700 fps
Heavier bullet approximately 200 fps more!
Just saying !!!

7x57 175 gr @ 2500 fps
30/06 180 gr @ 2700 fps
Heavier bullet approximately 200 fps more!
Just saying !!!
Speed does not kill....unless you are on a speedbike.....
5gr more? Less sd? More recoil.... Come on.....the 30-06 is a great cartridge but the 7x57mm is greater....and more appropriate for the OP's need....

Just saying!!!

7x57mm with a premium 160 to 175gr bullet

I’ve had full pass through on multiple zebra, wildebeest and kudu with a 175 gr A-Frame at 2,300 fps with a 7x57. As long as you are sensible on range and shot placement I’m sure it will do the job.

I’ve had full pass through on multiple zebra, wildebeest and kudu with a 175 gr A-Frame at 2,300 fps with a 7x57. As long as you are sensible on range and shot placement I’m sure it will do the job.
Exactly.....with the right bullet and weight 2300fps is the optimum killing speed.....no matter what caliber for Africa.....including DG....
Then you can add the old magic African calibers and you have a winning recipe....
Thats why the old classic calibers with heavy for caliber bullets have performed so well for well over 100 years...
Of course correct shot placement is needed(no matter the caliber)....but trust me the biggest Eland aint going nowhere with a 7mm 175gr Swift A frame broadside top of heart through plumbing and through both lungs and bullet under the skin on the far side.....I would not recommend a full frontal shot though.

My first thought was a .308 with say a 200 gr accubond. I've only killed 3 eland and those were with a 7 SAUM with 180 grain bullets so the 7X57/ 7mm08/ .280 should be fine with a good heavy for caliber bullet. Again he is going to need to practice because a bad hit will be a lost animal. 30-06 would be fine too. I suspect that a sound moderator would make a huge difference in both recoil and noise. They can be a pain to get here, but your PH might have one you can use. Best to get it and let your son practice with it on his rifle. It will make practice a lot more enjoyable.
Take your set of sticks with you. Keep everything as familiar as possible. Good luck!
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoniEdward

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.