Dumoulin

Earle

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Orillia gun Club, Bancroft Fish and Game Club
Came across a rifle i'm interested in. It is a F. Dumoulin in 458wm. I 've looking for info on it and all i can find is H. Dumoulin info. Are these two related and can anyone point toward the F. Dumoulin info. Thamks

François Dumoulin, Liege, Belguim, founded in 1894, closed in 1968.

Henri Dumoulin is a different company, still operating today.

Lots of info on Henri Dumoulin/ but zip on F Dumoulin.

François Dumoulin, Liege, Belguim, founded in 1894, closed in 1968.

Henri Dumoulin is a different company, still operating today.
Nyati, are you sure he’s still in business? His website has been inactive for many years. Do you know anybody who’s recently commissioned a rifle or shotgun from him ?

Nyati, are you sure he’s still in business? His website has been inactive for many years. Do you know anybody who’s recently commissioned a rifle or shotgun from him ?

I had the idea he was still in business, but you are right, I can´t find any recent activity of them.

Maybe @VertigoBE can chime in and tell us more

I had the idea he was still in business, but you are right, I can´t find any recent activity of them.

Maybe @VertigoBE can chime in and tell us more
Dumoulin has stopped. I believe the last generation to still build rifles, passed away some years ago, and his wife is selling off the estate. As far as I can tell, there is no website, or easy way to contact her anymore.

Currently in the category of still active Belgian fine arms builders that I know off are:
Marcel Thys
Alexandre Hanssen
Paul Pletsers

The first one, Thys, is world renowned. The latter two are younger and still need to make their name. But for for far less than a Rigby big game, you can have a fully custom rifle engraved. Custom, of the highest quality, but without the Rigby price tag (nor resale value either of course)

There might be some other makers still out there, but difficult to tell for me.

A Paul Pletsers 416 rigby, asking 22500€
3655-3-1800-1200-nc.jpg

3655-6-1800-1200-nc.jpeg

3655-7-1800-1200-nc.jpeg

3655-8-1800-1200-nc.jpeg

A Hanssen 375 flanged double rifle still in the white:
Hanssen_1_Arm._Hanssen.jpg

Hanssen_2_Arm._Hanssen.jpg

Hanssen_3_Arm._Hanssen.jpg

Hanssen_4_Arm._Hanssen.jpg

Last edited:
Dumoulin has stopped. I believe the last generation to still build rifles, passed away some years ago, and his wife is selling off the estate. As far as I can tell, there is no website, or easy way to contact her anymore.

Currently in the category of still active Belgian fine arms builders that I know off are:
Marcel Thys
Alexandre Hanssen
Paul Pletsers

The first one, Thys, is world renowned. The latter two are younger and still need to make their name. But for for far less than a Rigby big game, you can have a fully custom rifle engraved. Custom, of the highest quality, but without the Rigby price tag (nor resale value either of course)

View attachment 511208

View attachment 511209

View attachment 511210

View attachment 511211

View attachment 511212

View attachment 511213

View attachment 511214

View attachment 511215
Unfortunately, Marcel Thys is retired. I always wanted him to build me one of his beautiful .600 Nitro Express sidelock ejector double rifles.

Unfortunately, Marcel Thys is retired. I always wanted him to build me one of his beautiful .600 Nitro Express sidelock ejector double rifles.
I suspected as much, but thought there was still something being produced.

And our most famous Belgian gunmakers Lebeau-Courally.
Right... how could I forget them.
However I'm not convinced they are still active. Their website no longer links to their guns... only the watches and clothes still link somewhere.

However I'm not convinced they are still active. Their website no longer links to their guns... only the watches and clothes still link somewhere.
You’re right. They also closed shop in 2020.

Watches?

What the Belgian small gun makers need, is more publicity. The world of fine arms is already not big, and the Belgians have no great gun and rifle making houses anymore. No young blood, not enough foreign buyers ordering them. The Belgian market itself is too small.

Hanssen told me that his biggest market is in France, where he has a small fan club. He is French speaking, so selling his wares on the international market is less straightforward.

A shame, all those master gunmakers disappearing !

Marcel Thys
Alexandre Hanssen
Paul Pletsers

View attachment 511208

View attachment 511209

View attachment 511210

View attachment 511211

View attachment 511212

View attachment 511213

View attachment 511214

View attachment 511215
Wow. Love wood and engraving!!! Thanks for sharing. Truly beautiful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you