Double rifles for buffalo

Do you think a chap would be hunted down if he was to do this to a old beater English Double, as my eyes just aren't as good as the old days ?

I have had a few clients with them on their doubles but all have been modern rifles, I also just don't trust things/gadgets like this but sure is hard to beat Aimpoint type sights on some of my other work firearms !
The US military uses them in combat almost exclusively now. That is a pretty harsh environment.

I am presuming this is the standard Rigby 416 Norfolk? Has anyone got a double in the new Rigby 416 No2 Flanged?
Yip. The good old standard 416 Rigby not the new one. Ive got the rifle shooting rather well and am getting on well with it

The US military uses them in combat almost exclusively now. That is a pretty harsh environment.
Not to mention quite a few number of PHs, here is Ivan Carter with his Heym 88B .500 NE with a Trijicon few years ago

1626645376880.png

Some may say its a bad idea but I have found it helpful out to 150yrds. Saying that Im still go with the irons at 50
1626646429270.png

There are deals to be had from some that buy them and turn around and sell them after a trip to the range. I bought my Heym 88B .500 NE "used", if 12 rounds through it can be considered used, at a very reasonable price. At less than half the cost of an elephant bull hunt.

If any of those deals are in Europe, I’m happy to find out about them :D

I posted this before but since we are talking doubles and red dots, here is my VC with the Trijicon again. Trijicon has two different mounts that will fit the optic block on a double. I wasn't sure how I would like it on the double but I used this type of sight a lot in my past career. I actually prefer it to the scope on this double.

vc3.jpg

I posted this before but since we are talking doubles and red dots, here is my VC with the Trijicon again. Trijicon has two different mounts that will fit the optic block on a double. I wasn't sure how I would like it on the double but I used this type of sight a lot in my past career. I actually prefer it to the scope on this double.

View attachment 413646
I own a VC. It is not a custom rifle built for me. Did you have that red dot put on after you bought the rifle or did you have the rifle built for it? My eyes are murmuring that in the not so distance future I may need to add a red dot sight to my VC.

I bought this rifle used but the former owner must have been my brother from another mother because it fits me perfectly. It came with a scope and mount. I measured the scope block and ordered the optic and mount from Trijicon. Then I just mounted it myself. I put it in a rifle rest on the range and bore sighted it like a normal scope. Very easy to zero. I have put 120 rounds through it and have had no issues so far.

......and I plan to use it on plains game and buffalo when I can get back to Africa. Something about hunting with a double rifle that just makes the experience better.

Safe shooting!

"Something about hunting with a double rifle that just makes the experience better. "

Amen to that!!
Beautiful VC you have there btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!