Double Rifle used in 1923 TV Series

Watched 3 episodes of Yellowstone and doubt I will continue. The folks I know in Montana are nice. There really isn't one character on Yellowstone that is likable. I did hear one excellent line by Costner, he said something like "if a man had all the money in the world, you know what he'd buy?" Then he glanced around the scenery of his ranch and said, "He'd buy this."

I was somewhat offended with a scene in the first episode when Kayce Dutton said he was awarded a Silver Star while in the navy. His brother-in-law said he had two of them and you had to kill somebody to get one (not true). Kayce them pointed to his medals and said he also had a Navy Cross and you didn't want to know what he had to get that medal. The medals were inaccurately displayed, with the navy cross being in the lower row and in the middle. I would assume the Navy Cross was his highest award and would be located in the top row and left side looking towards them.

Several years after Breaking Bad had been around, I binged watched it over about a month and sort of enjoyed that show. Pretty edgy and with an interesting and different style.

We watch Yellowstone and enjoy it although we take it with a very large grain of salt as I grew up in the ranch/rodeo culture, plus we know a bunch of cattle ranchers/horse trainers in Montana including a real live stock detective, he hasn't been involved in any shootouts let alone one a day like they seem to have on Yellowstone.

Tried to watch 1883 but it was lousy IMO her narration made it a bad romance novel, plus too many historical inaccuracies most egregious was a Texas Cowboy wearing angora chaps in July just outside of Fort Worth, talk about WRONG! Boy would die of heat stroke. besides who wants to watch Sam Elliott cry???

We are still trying to decide on 1923 but so far like it. I really enjoy Tulsa King, Stallone is excellent and the storyline so far has been pretty good.

They could play that girl’s voice on a loudspeaker to end hostage situations. She’s terrible.

If that wasn’t enough, they use a Winchester Model 1885 in the second scene of a show titled “1883”.

They could play that girl’s voice on a loudspeaker to end hostage situations. She’s terrible.

If that wasn’t enough, they use a Winchester Model 1885 in the second scene of a show titled “1883”.
If we’re talking about Faith Hill and that god awful accent she was putting on in the commercials I agree. Absolutely horrific. Her and Tim turned me off that particular series. Not interested in seeing Sam Elliot cry either

If we’re talking about Faith Hill and that god awful accent she was putting on in the commercials I agree. Absolutely horrific. Her and Tim turned me off that particular series. Not interested in seeing Sam Elliot cry either

I was talking about the character of the daughter that provided narration but you’re right, FH also provided a cringeworthy performance.

Yes, exactly.
We watch Yellowstone and enjoy it although we take it with a very large grain of salt as I grew up in the ranch/rodeo culture, plus we know a bunch of cattle ranchers/horse trainers in Montana including a real live stock detective, he hasn't been involved in any shootouts let alone one a day like they seem to have on Yellowstone.

Tried to watch 1883 but it was lousy IMO her narration made it a bad romance novel, plus too many historical inaccuracies most egregious was a Texas Cowboy wearing angora chaps in July just outside of Fort Worth, talk about WRONG! Boy would die of heat stroke. besides who wants to watch Sam Elliott cry???

We are still trying to decide on 1923 but so far like it. I really enjoy Tulsa King, Stallone is excellent and the storyline so far has been pretty good.
We like Yellowstone for the antics but the lawlessness is a bit over the top but love the general message. Being picky and also living on ranches most of my life, the fence building and repairing is atrocious but I try to overlook it! Favorite characters are Rip and Beth. Monica is a little spinner! Lol.

1883 moved way too slow by comparison and didn’t care much for it. So far, 1923 is better.

1883 was fabulous, IMHO. I had zero idea Tim McGraw could act that well. If you're a dad to daughters... ugh. That is a hard ending to watch.

1923 - LOVE it so far, and mostly because of the Spencer and Alex storyline.

End of 1883 was a gut-cruncher.
1923 is moving a little slow for me. Good thing they booked another season.
Tyler Sheridan did a movie called Wind River that was pretty good.

This thread stirred up something from long ago...

The Rifleman's Creed (also known as My Rifle and The Creed of the United States Marine) is a part of basic United States Marine Corps doctrine. Major General William H. Rupertus wrote it during World War II following the attack on Pearl Harbor between late 1941 and early 1942, but its first publication was in San Diego in the Marine Corps Chevron on March 14, 1942. His reasoning for writing the Creed is believed to be that he felt that his men had to understand the concept "that the only weapon which stands between them and Death is the rifle…they must understand that their rifle is their life…"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman's_Creed

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will ...
My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit ...
My rifle is human, even as I [am human], because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will ...
Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!"

How many remember reciting something like that? It seems relevant to dangerous game hunting when facing the elephant at 20 meters or a buffalo that doesn't know he's dead!

Chanted this during two long hot Quantico summers... Semper Fiedelis...

End of 1883 was a gut-cruncher.
1923 is moving a little slow for me. Good thing they booked another season.
Tyler Sheridan did a movie called Wind River that was pretty good.
I really liked Wind River even though I had to put everything I know about the oil field on the back burner. Now, I don’t know everything mind you (never worked up north either) but I’ve never known a drilling operation to shut down for the winter because of the weather… The “drill station(their term)” the security team is guarding has derricks in the air and steam coming off the pits too… I believe it’s a book adaptation?

I would have rather seen a proper vintage British double in 1923. The actor did however seem to handle the Sabatti properly as an extension of the hunter. Overall it was good enough for cable tv!

I also enjoyed the story of 1883 and just plain liked to see Faith Hill acting. Notice she looked weather worn rather than pretty as a peach? Tim McGraw did a good job also.

Yellowstone is over the top with characters that let's face it, we all want to be. Just eliminate your threats and take em to the train station! Then there is Beth chain sawing her threats into little pieces. Do you remember the scene where the pretentious shop keeper accuses Monica of shoplifting? Justice was served by Beth, judge, jury, and executioner!

Despite the historical inaccuracies, in the woke Hollywood culture of today, these series give us red blooded men and women something missing, hope.

I don’t want to ruin it for those who haven’t seen it, but I’d you have you’ll know.
In one of the last few episodes of Yellowstone there was a flashback scene where a young Rip was joining the Dutton ranch, permanently. After watching that I can’t help but see John as a Jim Jones. That was way too over the top for me.

I tried watching the first episode of Yellowstone but I couldn't do it. I was excited to see Costner in another westernish show because he and Duvall nailed it in Open Range. When the mediocre actor/pretty boy killed a guy and I saw that everyone had the typical bad attitude I turned it off.

I think Longmire is a superior show to Yellowstone.

Last edited:
Several years after Breaking Bad had been around, I binged watched it over about a month and sort of enjoyed that show. Pretty edgy and with an interesting and different style.

I love Soprano's so a friend of mine suggested Breaking Bad. I still haven't watched it but intend to give it a shot sometime.

My favorite scene in Yellowstone is when John, his grandson and the cowboys are camped out to protect the herd. John searches for a cell signal and when he finds a spot where there isn't one he has the camp moved there. I can identify.

Despite using a modern double in this series, I really like how much in the screenplay and acting that the double rifle is a part of the character Spenser Dutton. Much like how our favorite rifles are a part of us.

Once again, the producer Taylor Sheridan gets it right!
@Mark A Ouellette
Fortunately Alec Baldwin isn't the producer as he can't even handle a colt let alone a double rifle.
Bob

I really liked Wind River even though I had to put everything I know about the oil field on the back burner. Now, I don’t know everything mind you (never worked up north either) but I’ve never known a drilling operation to shut down for the winter because of the weather… The “drill station(their term)” the security team is guarding has derricks in the air and steam coming off the pits too… I believe it’s a book adaptation?
I gotta say, has little resemblance to any oil drilling op I've seen either, but I've only seen North Slope and if they didn't do anything in the winter they wouldn't do much.
But as long as we're going on about every modern western, I'm looking at "Joe Picket". Can't the guy housebreak his damn hat, for grid's sake?

I think Longmire is a superior show to Yellowstone.

Loved Longmire. Great performance by an Aussie as the leading man.(y)

I learned a few OITs :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StevieMiel

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob