Double rifle shooting - good or not at 50 meters?

Foxi

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
50 m  .458.JPG

50 m   .458 Win Mag.JPG

Is that good or not?
50 m with a three leg stick,500 gn and 480 gn bullets, .458 Win. Mag.
I admire AH members very much, the excellent shots from double rifles in caliber .400 up supply.
It's not quite so given to me.
The following.
I once bought a double rifle,over and under,used .
Franz Sodia, Ferlach, Austria, in cal. .458 Win Mag.
One day I will hunt buffallo with it(open sight I thought) .
Now it is in such a way, that I do not bring all this any more with my eyes together.
Therefore a red dot sight came on it.
It is a Burris Fast Fire III
For security reasons, I deliberately didn't want a scope
(few minutes before I was in, a marksman came from the stand, with a heavy,bloody cut between his eyes,given by his scope and a .404 :unsure: ).
Unfortunately the dimmed light spot is frayed and not sharply cut.
So I can't clearly see the desired target point and have to guess a bit.
Is the result satisfactory or not?
I ran out of ammo to start a new lap.
Does anyone have similar experiences with the Burris Fast Fire ?

By the way, at the lower barrel the CCI 250 primer does not ignite from time to time.
The normal one (no Magnum) does.
Best regards
Foxi
p.s. I was told last week by a shot,that his Tikka o/u double,9,3x74 R, goes hole in hole on 100 m (envious :( )

Last edited:
Foxi,
I would say it most certainly will work! I have trouble with red dot sights at ranges past 50 meters myself as the dot covers a pretty large area especially when you don’t have a reference mark to shoot at. I think I’d you were to put a white dot on that target you would be surprised to find that group really shrink up. But a boar in the bush doesn’t have a white dot in the 10 ring either does it!
Good shooting,
Cody

Shooting is good caliber is not...

I have a fast fire on my Kreighoff in 500/416. It is a 3 MOA fast fire. I used that setup to take a buffalo in Zim last year at 100 yards. I cant tell from the picture how far apart the shots are? The four in the ten ring look good. I have a Trijicon RMR 1 moa dot that I love. Makes it that much more accurate. With that said the fast fire in 3 moa should be fine for buffalo and the normal distances you shoot them at. Good luck.

Good enough!

Now go shoot that boar!

Those groups will hunt. Shoot it often and great luck on a future buffalo. I have had problems like you mention on a Burris, I sold it to a pistol shooter that it works for. I have shot a Vortex Razor red dot, RMR and the Kahles all with a 2 or 3 MOA dot very successfully, Out of the 3 I like the Kahles the best. All 3 have a very clear dot and I have shot them a 50-100 yards in my 9.3 double and shot a 8in steel plate at 150 and 200 yards.

Shooting is good caliber is not...

I stole an answer from Double D

"Keep in mind there have probably been more buffalo and elephant killed succesfuly in game control with the .458 win in the last 30 years than anything else"

"By the way, at the lower barrel the CCI 250 primer does not ignite from time to time."

Some years back, I had similar experiences with primers in a new rifle and a top Cowboy Action Shooter (CAS) told me that all the CAS competitors use Federal Match primers for reliability, as they ignite with less strike pressure than others.
This might be worth a try and avoid gun smith fees.
My personal experience with Federal Match Magnum primers in my .405 WCF is that they added 35 fps to the velocity of my top loads.

Good luck with the hunting.

Nothing wrong there. That's a dead boar!

Thank you guys for taking on this topic.
So shot in 50m spot, what do you think the .458 falls to 100m(480gn Degol SP), ?
10cm ?
Must first load something again.
Regards

I have a .470Nitro that I use for backup on DG hunts along with a Styer Manlicher in .458Win and both have the Aim-point Micro H1 sights on it with a 3mill dot. The best thing I ever did to both rifles. I dont care about looks as I am not into the marketing of rifles. I am a user of them and they get used almost every day.
Nothing beats the red dot in low light or to make a precise shot at an animal that you only partly see. Different strokes for different okes.
Longest shot I ever took with the .470 was at a wounded Zebra at 130y and the shot dropped it in its tracks.
I have no problem with my .458Win on any DG hunt. I load my own ammo and it does the job I want every time.

I like your choice of rifle scopes.

Reactions: HWL
Shooting is good, caliber is not...

He easily could rechamber the .458 Win-Mag to a ,450 Nitro Express 3 1/4"..... performance would be exactly the same, but the cartridge is accepted by the .458 Win-Mag haters....

;)

HWL

HWL,
If someone "hates" the .458 Win Mag, imagine how they (he,she,it) would feel about my .458 Mini Mag or my .458 2.4 ? Pic below:

This .45-90 has a bit less room for powder than the .458 Win Mag and still manages to push a 450 grain FMJ out at 2150 FPS and shoot NF and Punch solids through the ele head on frontal brain shots.
So, if the hunter is close, the dead ele, buff, leopard, etc,,, will think they have been shot with a .458 Lott from 150 yards; no shame in that, eh?

Oh BTW, there is a folding barrel sight (new photo needed) for use on BIG game up close.

Attachments

• 52608_600x400.jpg
    52608_600x400.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 53457_600x400.jpg
    53457_600x400.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I do not have any experience, how a .458 Win-Mag performs in the field!

But I know,.... 480gr Whatever Round Nose at 2150 f/s was considered perfect big game medicine in a .450 3 1/4" Nitro Express.

Same bullet comes out of a .458 Win-Mag, at the same 2150 f/s..... with modern propellant at acceptable low pressure.

Why this damned .458 Win-Mag is so bad,.... or is the .450 3 1/4" NE totally overrated?

(n)

HWL

I personally think that people who hate the .458Win read to much and shoot to few heavy stuff these days. The days that the .458Win had some issues are long gone and those were also the days when Ron Tompson shot 5k+ elephant with the lowly .458Win. If he swears by it, who are we to argue. I have shot way to many buffalo, elephant, hippo and rhino with it to doubt it's ability. Yes, I do own a .470Nitro and I use it a lot. I do own a .416 and a .375 and use them a lot also so I dont really care about what is proven on paper doing math. I shoot animals. a Lot of them and I have still to be proven wrong on the .458Win with today's components.

Foxi,

The shooting is fine. But I will give you this very sound piece of advice. Ditch the Burris and get the Leopold Delta point with the dot, NOT the triangle. You will not have the starburst with it that you do with the burris. I own 4 of them and have extensive experience with the Leopold. You will not be disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg