Double Rifle....for deer

Hell all,

Im a diehard bowhunter as i like getting 50 yards and under from my quarry. Recently, i was on a dangerous game hunt and at the conclusion I asked the PH if i could shoot his .500 double just for grins....i shouldnt have! It was a hoot and kinda lit a fire in me to get a double now.

My question is sinple: for those that own a double rifle do you ever hunt other species with it (other than DG)? If i bought one i would want to use it. I know they are investment rifles but i would enjoy using it like i do my bows, for shots 50 yards and under on various hunts. That could mean whitetail deer, hogs or any number of species.

Any input from the peanut gallery? Not talking about the "you will blow a giant hole in it" crowd, just asking if anyone "uses" their doubles for more than the annual or occasional trip to Africa.

I just bought a 500 today and I'm taking it pig hunting in September and for deer in November. Why not?
 
I just bought a 500 today and I'm taking it pig hunting in September and for deer in November. Why not?
Pictures!
 
Pictures!

IMG_7082.JPG
 
Beautiful, congrats! Post some pics of the deer and pigs after being hit with that.
 
@brettp Nice looking deer rifle you have there.
 
For deer hunting or PG hunting in Africa I would look at a Verney-Carron in O/U configuration.

I would look at a multiple barrel set in calibers:

9.3x74R
7x65R(or 7x57R)

If you enjoy wingshooting I would add a set of 12ga/2 3/4 barrels.

Both rifle barrels should be fitted with scopes and the 9.3x74R should be QD.

For PG hunting the O/U configuration will greatly simplify regulation and also allow for longer range application.
 
Just returned from Zim shot a Wildebeest at 100 paces with my 450NE iron sights no problem.
If you are in the market for a Double buy the biggest caliber you think you need, even if you never shoot an elephant it is all ways nice to be ready in-case one rampages your neighborhood. I have a friend that shoots deer with his 577NE.
There are lots of ways to reduce loads for your double that will still keep the same POA POI, from lighter bullets to different powders. One thing to think about is the available sources of bullets. My 450 is a 458 dia bore the resources for bullets are unlimited, from cast bullets on.
Good luck
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,283
Messages
1,571,674
Members
169,394
Latest member
HCTStuart9
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top