Does the perfect fixed blade for Africa exist? Whether it does or not, what should it look like?

rifletuner

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Zambia, Namibia, Australia, America, New Caledonia
So following on from the carrying knives in Africa thread, I am interested to hear from those that DO prefer to carry a fixed blade knife. As an amateur knife maker, I am interested to know if there are any common themes in the knives people prefer to carry while on safari.

Just judging from the other thread, many chose no knife at all, and a large group chose a folder or multi tool. But for the segment that opt to carry a fixed blade, I would be interested to know all the specifics you can mention, eg size, steel type or thickness, handle material, etc. Any details you think are relevant really. If you think the ideal already exist, I am interested to know what it is.

I realise this is very subjective and similar to asking "what is the ideal rifle for Africa". So possibly answers will be all over the map. I do ask this with some trepidation since the design by committee route rarely ends up with good outcomes. But I am interested to see what comes up in the discussion that comes out of this.

Love a drop point 3.-4 inch blade tool steel like O-1 , cpm 3V , cv20
IMG_0844.jpeg

Posted mine in the previous thread where it and the logic for carrying it seemingly were not particularly welcome. Neither have changed.

The Von Gruff design does anything any other fix blade does, but also is configured to offer a meaningful self-defense option. That too was ridiculed as unnecessary. I will simply note that self-defense situations are never events of choice.

Without any intent of any drama, I have had two experiences in Africa. Neither fortunately escalated. The first was quite a few years ago in Rundu, Namibia hard on the Angolan border. A tough town in those days - may still be. My PH went into a local market to pick up last minute provisions, while I stayed with truck with a bed full of gear including my rifle. Not an uncommon experience for clients. We were headed into the Caprivi Strip. A drunk appeared demanding money, and belaboring the existence of rich whites. He got closer and louder until I laid my hand on the hilt of my knife. I might have been able to handle him without it - after all, he had been drinking. Or I suppose I could have run away from the vehicle so he could rummage through it. In any case, he beat a hasty retreat.

The second was in Johannesburg at the City Lodge of all places. My spouse and I were overnighting on our way to Windhoek. The youth branch of the ANC was holding a convention in the hotel. Twice during the afternoon and early evening we were mildly harassed verbally by young toughs in their berets. As the night wore on, the hallways became louder and louder as drunk young people roamed them. Our door was pounded upon several times. Calls to the front desk did no good. Fortunately, the door held. But again, a sturdy blade was far more comforting and potentially intimidating than pleading had the locks failed.

As I noted in my previous post, with a very little training, a blade can be surprisingly effective where a handgun is forbidden.

Last edited:
Posted mine in the previous thread where it and the logic for carrying it seemingly were not particularly welcome. Neither have changed.

The Von Gruff design does anything any other fix blade does, but also is configured to offer a meaningful self-defense option. That too was ridiculed as unnecessary. I will simply note that self-defense situations are never events of choice.

I have had two experiences in Africa. Neither fortunately escalated. The first was quite a few years ago in Rundu, Namibia hard on the Angolan border. A tough town in those days - may still be. My PH went into a local market to pick up last minute provisions, while I stayed with truck with a bed full of gear including my rifle. Not an uncommon experience for clients. We were headed into the Caprivi Strip. A drunk appeared demanding money, and belaboring the existence of rich whites. He got closer and louder until I laid my hand on the hilt of my knife. I might have been able to handle him without it - after all, he had been drinking. Or I suppose I could have run away from the vehicle, but I am not really wired that way. In any case, he beat a hasty retreat.

The second was in Johannesburg at the City Lodge. of all places. My spouse and I were overnighting on our way to Windhoek. The youth branch of the ANC was holding a convention in the hotel. Twice during the afternoon and early evening we were mildly harassed verbally by young toughs in their berets. As the night wore on, the hallways became louder and louder as drunk young people roamed them. Our door was pounded upon several times. Calls to the front desk did no good. Fortunately, the door held. But again, a sturdy blade was far more comforting and potentially intimidating than pleading had the locks failed.

As I noted in my previous post, with a very little training, a blade can be surprisingly effective where a handgun is forbidden.
And far quieter if one had to leave some offal in a hotel room and make their way quickly to an embassy or airport.

It's hard to say what is ideal here at home, much less Africa. I like a 4 inch blade as a good compromise. Shorter can skin well, but longer is better for cutting meat IMHO. Err on longer, maybe.

Agreed!

After seeing a man stabbed to death infront of a bar in my early 20’s I learned that a knife can be a great force multiplier.

I also learned that being of large stature, that if someone wants to do you harm, they will more likely than not bring friends and or mechanical assistance.

I always carry a fixed blade when hunting…in Africa and everywhere else. I prefer a drop point hunter. That design reduces the chance of poking holes in the entrails of an animal I’m gutting, and if no dedicated skinning knife is available, a drop point can handle that task as well. While not the best design for self defense, I believe I could put it to good use if needed.

Without any intent of any drama, I have had two experiences in Africa. Neither fortunately escalated. The first was quite a few years ago in Rundu, Namibia hard on the Angolan border. A tough town in those days - may still be. My PH went into a local market to pick up last minute provisions, while I stayed with truck with a bed full of gear including my rifle. Not an uncommon experience for clients. We were headed into the Caprivi Strip. A drunk appeared demanding money, and belaboring the existence of rich whites. He got closer and louder until I laid my hand on the hilt of my knife. I might have been able to handle him without it - after all, he had been drinking. Or I suppose I could have run away from the vehicle so he could rummage through it. In any case, he beat a hasty retreat.

The second was in Johannesburg at the City Lodge of all places. My spouse and I were overnighting on our way to Windhoek. The youth branch of the ANC was holding a convention in the hotel. Twice during the afternoon and early evening we were mildly harassed verbally by young toughs in their berets. As the night wore on, the hallways became louder and louder as drunk young people roamed them. Our door was pounded upon several times. Calls to the front desk did no good. Fortunately, the door held. But again, a sturdy blade was far more comforting and potentially intimidating than pleading had the locks failed.

Stay ready. When I was in city lodge last August, I thought it was cool that I had my hunting gear. Just like when I get a room across America. had my .300 Win Mag and 60 rounds..

I have carried a simple Case 3" folding knife on person. Never really needed a knife in Africa. Skinners take care of animal skinning and meat after kills.

I have purchased several of the Safari knife with a skandi grind. I like them, and the couple I've given to guides have raved about them.

1707789896991.jpeg

1707789944058.jpeg

I am always thankful when one of the guys is carrying one of these when we are in the bush. Not me carrying it though. I have been amazed at how well these work for clearing paths in that very thick bush.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 19.23.54.png

Something like an ESEE 4 with African wood would be perfect.

(I carry a Swiss Army knife, and a tactile folder every day)

When I hunt, I add a fixed blade into the mix.

Do you really want to try to use a folder, when a leopard is chewing on one of your arms?

PH's are almost superhuman, but an experienced hunter knows that they are not.

Last edited:
Curious as to why it should look any different from any knife used for field dressing, skinning or cutting up an animal on any other continent? Seems like a loaded question- more of a question about selling to and marketing of current trendy/fashion. :)

If you include really big, thick skinned game like elephant, better add one or more of the locally produced hand axes and a file for sharpening. The most trendy, custom handled, expensive, drop point fashion knife won’t account for much for something like an elephant without assistance from some significantly heftier tools like axes and even as @BRICKBURN suggested possibly a heavy panga :):)

Unlike almost everywhere else in the world, there are animals in Africa (Grizzly bears, excluded), that will attack you, unprovoked.

I've talked to African hunters who have had their PH's and trackers disabled and killed by dangerous game and were forced to fend for themselves.

Most people believe that Africa is just a playland for rich Americans and Europeans "hunters".

This mindset can be seriously stupid, and deadly, for the inexperienced "hunter"...

Thanks for the comments so far. Pretty much what I thought with a lot of deferent viewpoints. But ti is interesting to see that there are a few common threads emerging. Will be interesting to see how it plays out (y)

Does a "...perfect fixed blade....exist..."?
Yes!

Are you going to use a pare knife to skin a buff? Not my first choice.

Are you going to use a machete to dice onions? Again not my first choice.

"....opinions are like assholes, everybody has one." G-3 CSM.

Same holds true with hunters, woodsman and why the individual chooses a certain knife/style over another.

My idea of a fixed blade general purpose knife:

Raw stock: 3/ 8 inch thick, 3 1/4 inch width, 14 inches length.

Finished:

Spine thickness 9/32 - 5/16 inches
Overall blade length 9 1/2 - 9 7/8 inches
Overall blade width 3 - 3 1/8 inches
Gently Rounded blade point
Handle length 4 - 4 1/4 inches
Handle width 1 1/2 - 1 7/8 inches
Scales (each) 5 /32 - 7/ 32 thick with a bit tapered and rounded with a very slight hint of finger grip length edges and rounded edge square butt
Blade guard should extend 1 - 1/4 from spine and blade edge

This design I used came from a calaboration of designs used by Colonial American Longhunters / Frontiersmen as noted in various journals.

Whereas the "general purpose" knife '....has a blade 8 to 10 inches in length...and more in shape of a butcher knife...'.

Basically the general purpose knife was used for anything from cutting kindling for a campfire to butchering game; or for self defense; ie. in hand to hand combat with native Americans or against deadly beast: bears, cats, snakes, etc., etc.,.

Although the American frontiersmen' s "general purpose" didn't have a guard, I find it most useful to protect my hand...fingers...while chopping up large pieces of kindling, up to 6 inches in diameter saplings...and to skin and butcher large/ big and small game animals.

There's a perverbial perfect knife for the job!

But there will never be one perfect knife!...For anywhere, everywhere or for everything.

Good Luck and Success towards your endeavor.

So following on from the carrying knives in Africa thread, I am interested to hear from those that DO prefer to carry a fixed blade knife. As an amateur knife maker, I am interested to know if there are any common themes in the knives people prefer to carry while on safari.

Just judging from the other thread, many chose no knife at all, and a large group chose a folder or multi tool. But for the segment that opt to carry a fixed blade, I would be interested to know all the specifics you can mention, eg size, steel type or thickness, handle material, etc. Any details you think are relevant really. If you think the ideal already exist, I am interested to know what it is.

I realise this is very subjective and similar to asking "what is the ideal rifle for Africa". So possibly answers will be all over the map. I do ask this with some trepidation since the design by committee route rarely ends up with good outcomes. But I am interested to see what comes up in the discussion that comes out of this.
Rifle tuner, it would have to be “Sharp” — and Full Tang, 4” to 6” long, good steel that could be resharpened (RC 56-60)…. I prefer the model Tarzan carried - served him well.

I have a pile of nice hunting knives - none were used in Africa - but I can tell you what every skinner I saw used… a $0.99 cheap ass plastic handle, flimsy junk metal blade. And they made my skinning skills look pathetic in comparison.
Berettao, i had similar observations on my Safari - lots of “cheap” gear used VERY effectively….but that didn’t prove it was “best”. When you are earning $3 a day you might use the least expensive item you can get away with. I assume this thread is looking for something close to “best” and Not restricting cost. However, put the most expensive custom knife made in my hands and I couldn’t come close to the skill of those skinners using my Wife‘s nail clippers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacquieLon

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.