Does Africa ruin you for North American game?

no , when we was wondering around b.c, im pretty certain it was 100%public land ......
that's where we screwed up , by thinking where the outfitter was operating , was private land ..........
not asking the right questions..............
we believed we would be the only ones hunting in the east kootenay area ,not hunting on public land , with the only licenced outfit, in the area , and sharing it with half the local populatation

Most of the Elk hunting will be done on public land in BC. Certainly if you climb any slope on a mountain at all. Otherwise you would be sitting in a hay field waiting for a crop raider.

Your Outfitter was a lazy dirt bag. If he had a couple of decent guides and they did some scouting you would have been "back in" far enough that "locals" would not have been an issue.
(that dirt bag still pisses me off)

yep , we all still bubble about it at times too , mate.....
but hey,how many aussies do you know that can say that they ,have done some unguided hunting in your great country.....and even got a half drunk local for a chafuer:D:Dthrown into the deal for $900 u.s a day .......
and after another African adventure , still look foreward to putting in plenty of bush miles and lots of glass hours , in north America ....................

Please can I move in next door? !!!

I live next door :) in the next province over that is. Its pretty sweet here too!

Most of the Elk hunting will be done on public land in BC. Certainly if you climb any slope on a mountain at all. Otherwise you would be sitting in a hay field waiting for a crop raider.

Your Outfitter was a lazy dirt bag. If he had a couple of decent guides and they did some scouting you would have been "back in" far enough that "locals" would not have been an issue.
(that dirt bag still pisses me off)

Hes not the only one around. A certain outfit that holds most of the tags around here comes to mind. Drive around or be dropped of randomly at easy to access locations and hope for the best type scab hunting. Certainly not what I would pay for. References references references and ask the right questions. How they hunted where they hunted, what time they got started and finished, accomodations, food etc etc etc. reference clients are likely ones who were successful so don't rely on their success, ask how many other animals they saw and how they found them, guide attitudes and antics, equipment condition, other hunters success that were in camp at the same time etc etc etc. Plenty of idiots outfitting out there since all you need is a few bucks to buy the tags and viola you are an outfitter, no other skill required.

So, to get back to the original point of all this, on second thought, I seem to have developed a certain longing. Or maybe an itch. The itch is not completely satisfied with the many opportunities that still abound on my doorstep.
I long for the exotic, to expand my experiences and have more adventures where I don't yet fit in and haven't figured everything out. Africa is it! So yes, I am somewhat ruined. I hope to pursue many of the new opportunities still to be discovered at home, but new ones call in foreign lands, and it would seem disrespectful not to respond...
Competence and adventure might be incompatible after all. I hope to have many more adventures.

Longwalker you do have a way with words .
Glen

It may have done just as the title says. I did not think so originally as I truly love the challenge and adventure of Moose hunting. But, that is in October/November.... everything happens in those months: work is ramping up, kids have school/university...etc So I steal away for a week or so, and come back with less of my liver. But, then there is Africa. Hunting can occur in our summer months (less work, no school) the game is plentiful, so you get to actually test your marksmanship.

Coming back from the range my younger boy and I got to chatting. He really can't miss school now. Hunting in a swamp while the rain drums on the trees around you does not appeal like Africa does. So, the planning starts. Africa 2018; bow and gun...let's see where this takes us...

So I take it Nuval didn't get a moose ? :(
Glen

DSC_0326.JPG

I had to explain to @nuval.J2711 that moose are a bit larger, and have less feathers....:p....We saw a cow but no tag for a cow this year!

WAY TO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol !
Glen

He got three, I took one with my bow. The other guys took another three I think. One of the guys brought bear from the spring hunt, and someone else contributed venison. So, we cooked up a "game night" and it was really awesome. Few things match a good hunt camp for a week or so.

This topic is mostly for bowhunters but it applies equally to our rifle toting brethren.

I don't mean this as a slam or negative towards our NA game in any way. However, after you have had the opportunity to see multiple animals in multiple shooting opportunities in a day in Africa, it makes sitting in a treestand or ground blind for a whole archery season for maybe a couple good opportunities at a mature animal seem lackluster.

Don't get me wrong, for this year I still have a great western Kansas Mule Deer bowhunt (assuming I get drawn, fingers crossed) and a south Texas hog and exotic hunt. That's a lot of hunting to look forward to this year. But when compared to the pure numbers of animals experienced in one week of a safari...it really spoils you.

Does anyone else feel this way? Am i starting to get jaded by Africa and her powers?

I will always hunt in North America and for sure on my family farm here in Missouri, but for the pure numbers and opportunity Africa is hard to beat.

Anyone else feel this way?
My husband describes it this way. It is like hunting in a zoo.
Our hunting trip in SA made me a better hunter here in the US. My shots are pretty much heart shots now. My animals go down within visual distance, without binoculars.
We got back from SA and I killed an elk with a 46# bow, pass thru, and I was cleaning him up at 25 yds away within 7 minutes.
We also really learned how to track. Our tracker gave us great tips and we were able to track deer across pastures here at home.
One tip about SA. We hunted at Limcroma and everything was great.

We went back 2 years later with another outfitter that did bowhunting. Their idea of stalking a zebra was to drive the truck thru the field and take a 60 yd shot from a bouncing, moving vehicle. My PH wanted me to take a frontal unethical bow shot on a Nyala. After complaining that I did not have a good shot, I finally took it. We had to track it with dogs and put it down with a rifle. We only had wild game a couple of times on a 14 day hunt, even though we were shooting many animals. Lunches were white bread with butter and a piece of lunchmeat with sugar wafers, which I can't stand to eat any more. Hot showers seemed to be out of the question every place we stayed. The owner was extremely nice, but our cook and PH were bottom line.
We had our trophy mounted in SA again and wonder if we will ever see them. It has been 29 months since the trip and they tell us that they are ready but are waiting for documentation. good luck, I think we are out our taxidermy and shipping fees. Everything that we have seen about this outfitter is awesome. Everyone highly recommended this outfitter. We are baffled at how bad our trip was.

Needless to say, we will be going back again next year with Limcroma again, where we know they will make sure things are done right.
BE Careful who you book with.

Thanks for sharing your story and sorry you had such a poor trip. A PH that doesn't understand bowhunting can be a disaster. Many PHs are accustomed to just driving around basically road hunting. Limcroma will be a great hunt.

bowfishoholic, That hunt sounds like it was a disaster. You didn't happen to book this trip through Cabela's, did you? I 've heard a couple horror stories about their hunts, baloney and cheese sandwiches for lunch sort of thing.
Analogous to real estate, references, references, references.

Needless to say, we will be going back again next year with Limcroma again, where we know they will make sure things are done right.

Has Guillaume been in contact with you yet? We very much look forward to having you back at our camp fire again soon! We have added a new camp as well as thousands more acres of prime hunting areas for you to explore.

Last edited:
bowfishoholic, That hunt sounds like it was a disaster. You didn't happen to book this trip through Cabela's, did you? I 've heard a couple horror stories about their hunts, baloney and cheese sandwiches for lunch sort of thing.
Analogous to real estate, references, references, references.
I booked it here at Africahunting.com

Has Guillaume been in contact with you yet? We very much look forward to having you back at our camp fire again soon! We have added a new camp as well as thousands more acres of prime hunting areas for you to explore.
We talked to Guillaume. Will be going to Nashville to see him.

The entire driving up to the animal sounds like crap. Did you (or would you) do a review on this website?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross