Do you or have you participated in Competitive Shooting?

@Frederik "Charging targets fun targets and tricky targets we never have the same exact range setup,
Also once or twice a year DGS about 30 rounds per shoot (Dangerous Game shoot hosted by Safari & Outdoor shopping chain)"

I'd love to see some photos and better yet videos of your shoot setup and charging targets!
What motor do you use? I remember someone discussing a automotive starter with battery...?

Here are a couple videos. Is this one of your shoots?

@Frederik "Charging targets fun targets and tricky targets we never have the same exact range setup,
Also once or twice a year DGS about 30 rounds per shoot (Dangerous Game shoot hosted by Safari & Outdoor shopping chain)"

I'd love to see some photos and better yet videos of your shoot setup and charging targets!
What motor do you use? I remember someone discussing a automotive starter with battery...?

Here are a couple videos. Is this one of your shoots?
Hope I'm not goin to spam and higjack this post.
But here goes some of them atre from 15 years back when I didnt participate much in the shoots.
Quality not so great on the older ones.

All competition is a positive

Anything that puts one under pressure and away from the comfort zone

it asks questions about one’s ability

very often, if you’re like me, you don’t like the answer

every cock up, and every last place in a comp is a node on the learning curve

I use the charge box

the device that FGASA use to annually test their game guides

lion or buff charging at 8m per sec from 30m leaves little time

Also the going away (or anchoring shot) - start with an empty rifle, 4 seconds to reload then target moves away at pace

Add to that the blind fold reloads, the miss fire drills and 8 rounds in 30 seconds (with one compulsory reload) and you can always be sure of a challenge

M-1 Garand matches and a Hunting Rifle match through another forum. Basically it was hunting scenarios: pig target at 200 yards (prone hit was 1 point, kneeling/sitting hit 2 points, standing hit 3 points), prairie dog targets at 100, 200, 300, 400 yards, 1" target at 100 yards, etc, all with a "hunting rifle". The time I went, I was one of two with a wood stocked rifle that weighed less than 10 lbs. Most had tactical style that are best shot from a bench or deer stand. I had the advantage in the standing position stages, especially since I knew how to use a USGI sling from shooting my M-1 Garand matches.

@Frederik "Hope I'm not goin to spam and higjack this post.
But here goes some of them atre from 15 years back when I didnt participate much in the shoots.
Quality not so great on the older ones."

Great videos! Thanks for sharing with and fellow AH'ers!!!

Talking to someone the other day who I met through a mutual friend and member here. He says he is going to that match.
We must try get him to join here.
Not sure if we've spoken before but G'day from another Aussie, more of us here than I realised.
Thanks

I just got an email re the international big game shoot in Darwin end of August

I’ll post details

Thanks

I just got an email re the international big game shoot in Darwin end of August

I’ll post details
We look forward to reading about it

We look forward to reading about it

Details below - will be great event. I shot in the National Competition there last year. A very welcoming crew and lots of great experiences before and after the event.

Attachments

• Big Game Rifle International Shoot 2023 Ver1.4.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
Details below - will be great event. I shot in the National Competition there last year. A very welcoming crew and lots of great experiences before and after the event.
Might see you there. I’m trying to get all my ducks in a row. Got a big trip planned either side of the competition dates….so fingers crossed.
I shoot the monthly BGR competition at Brisbane and Ipswich

Might see you there. I’m trying to get all my ducks in a row. Got a big trip planned either side of the competition dates….so fingers crossed.
I shoot the monthly BGR competition at Brisbane and Ipswich
Nice - it would be great to catch up.

Is R8 the
a) Yamaha
b) Blaser
c) Audi
d) all of the above

:ROFLMAO:

Nice - it would be great to catch up.

Is R8 the
a) Yamaha
b) Blaser
c) Audi
d) all of the above

:ROFLMAO:
Bloody Victorians ……ever since Sir Joh passed on you barstards have been out of control :A Stirring:

Bloody Victorians ……ever since Sir Joh passed on you barstards have been out of control :A Stirring:

:ROFLMAO: Poor old Jo ... may he RIP

Looks like a great shoot. Have fun, take your drill rounds and plenty of ammo.

Dictator Dan is "Out of control"

To get back to the OP's question, I happened upon this old photo, taken at Camp Perry around 1969-70. It shows the USMCR team as it then was made up. I am third from the left on the front row.
USMCR rifle team.jpg

A little different target shooting, I shoot German schuetzen rifles offhand at 200 meters. There are no matches within 1 day driving distance, so I shoot alone. There is no doubt my offhand has benefited. The last 5 deer have been taken running offhand with prewar 8x57 Mauser sporters. I did shoot 3 position small bore in college many years ago.
Mike

Who is the gentleman to your right? He looks familiar, but I can't place him.
I hate to admit it, but at age 84, I have trouble remembering the names of people I see every week. The only persons I remember for sure are Tom Simmons, rear row far left , and Major Erdmann, the terrific long range shooter, for whom the Erdmann Trophy was named, rear row, third from the right. The Marine on my right looks very familiar to me, but his name eludes me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.