Dismantle your rifles while putting them in travel case or keep them as one

CBP asked me to remove the bolt from my rifle at DFW and Newark. Their sole involvement was to compare the rifle serial number against the CBP Form 4457, then pass it along to TSA at a separate location.

The gun cases were then taken to TSA for their inspections prior to check-in at the connecting flight. The TSA agent at DFW asked me to open the case and he inspected it in my presence. He was courteous and professional. In Philly, they X-rayed the case but did not open it; again in my presence. Not sure whether TSA did at other airports, as they never asked me to open the case, so whatever they did was outside of my presence.

At Newark, TSA had us open the cases but then took them to a different room outside of our presence to inspect them. We were told that this was their local SOP and that we had zero choice in the matter. Several of us asked to ensure that the cases were properly locked following inspection; we were allowed to re-apply our padlocks but were not allowed to open the case to check whether everything was still there.

Just what happened to me. Your mileage may vary.
Some airports or particular security people (peculiar security people?) don't want the guns handled when other passengers are walking around. I guess I kinda get that. Not a big deal. I've only run into it once at my local airport.

I got a pelican 1750 after looking around for. a sturdy case. I plan to carry both my double and bolt in a single case. Still deciding to cut out the foam for dismantled rifles or carry as one.
That's what I have done on 3 trips. Scope on, bolt in, and double assembled. No problems so far.

CBP asked me to remove the bolt from my rifle at DFW and Newark. Their sole involvement was to compare the rifle serial number against the CBP Form 4457, then pass it along to TSA at a separate location.

The gun cases were then taken to TSA for their inspections prior to check-in at the connecting flight. The TSA agent at DFW asked me to open the case and he inspected it in my presence. He was courteous and professional. In Philly, they X-rayed the case but did not open it; again in my presence. Not sure whether TSA did at other airports, as they never asked me to open the case, so whatever they did was outside of my presence.

At Newark, TSA had us open the cases but then took them to a different room outside of our presence to inspect them. We were told that this was their local SOP and that we had zero choice in the matter. Several of us asked to ensure that the cases were properly locked following inspection; we were allowed to re-apply our padlocks but were not allowed to open the case to check whether everything was still there.

Just what happened to me. Your mileage may vary.
Troubleshooter: I’ve had similar experience at Newark Airport - case inspected outside of my presence an I was Not allowed to see that everything was repacked “properly”——One time it was and the other time it was Not.. I’ve made about 20 flights out of Newark and Never had firearms handled the exact same way twice — always an “Adventure” but never had a “catastrophe“.

Troubleshooter: I’ve had similar experience at Newark Airport - case inspected outside of my presence an I was Not allowed to see that everything was repacked “properly”——One time it was and the other time it was Not.. I’ve made about 20 flights out of Newark and Never had firearms handled the exact same way twice — always an “Adventure” but never had a “catastrophe“.
I think this is an environmental thing. The airport is busy in a high crime rate community. I'm sure it might make other not unduly paranoid passengers anxious to see guns being loaded on their plane or even flashed around in a very busy public place. In Anchorage or Salt Lake City probably not so much. Security has better things to do at Newark than spend time trying to explain the harmlessness of packing guns into the hold of a plane. Let them discreetly inspect the guns and hope they are repacked correctly.

I think this is an environmental thing. The airport is busy in a high crime rate community. I'm sure it might make other not unduly paranoid passengers anxious to see guns being loaded on their plane or even flashed around in a very busy public place. In Anchorage or Salt Lake City probably not so much. Security has better things to do at Newark than spend time trying to explain the harmlessness of packing guns into the hold of a plane. Let them discreetly inspect the guns and hope they are repacked correctly.
OH: I agree with you regarding the potential for problems if the rifles were being handled "in a busy public place" as per your comment. However, those circumstances did not exist. In both instances (DFW and Newark) the rifle cases were opened and inspected by CBP in a separate room, away from the general public. Particularly at Newark, all of those traveling with firearms were brought into a large room by the airline representative, where we identified our cases prior to them being loaded on a trolley which took them to the CBP desk. Then we were allowed to retrieve them, and line up for inspection of the serial number(s) by the CBP agent. Then, the gun cases were loaded back onto baggage carts and taken to another area of the airport for the TSA agents to make their inspections. No concerns about the general public, because they were not present.

I did not mention that earlier, as it was irrelevant to the discussion. The point of my comments were to provide an example where traveling hunters were required to partially disassemble (e.g., remove the bolt) from the firearm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillianPet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.