Discounted Ontario spring bear hunt - SOLD

Just a short update. Had a great time in Kapuskasing and saw some bears in the 150 to 200 lbs while sitting on the stand, but they got a hall pass and hopefully will get a bit bigger. Arrived in Kapuskasing along with a couple cms of snow turning everything into a winter wonderland for the first day of hunting. Great bunch of folks at Kapriveroutfitters, who are working exceptionally hard to get back into the spring bear hunt. Hopefully the government here will allow it to continue! Thanks Bellero for posting the opportunity!

I'm very glad to hear you had a good time, I knew Peter would treat you well.

At the invite of Peter Martin of Kapriver Outfitters, I took a chance and went back up to Kapuskasing in Northern Ontario for a second time this year. I had seen a small bear on my first trip and elected not to take it. The guys at Kapriver had had a very good season and still had some big bears around. So the last weekend of bear season found me having completed the 11 hour drive up the day before with my very understanding better half and settled in the stand just after 6 am, with a dreary rainy morning to look forward to. Around 8 am, the sun finally came out and I spotted a sow approaching the clearing off to my right, with a very large boar in tow. I couldn’t believe my luck as it looked like he would follow her right in and I got ready for the shot in anticipation of him entering the clearing. Just as he was about to enter the clearing the small sow chased him back into the bush at full speed and my hopes of taking the bear quickly began to fade. Any subsequent attempt to come in by the boar was also meant by a quick response from the sow that sent him scurrying back into the woods and out of sight! At one point he even laid down and patiently waited for the sow to finish with the bait! A full half hour of this played out and I was sure I would not see the boar again. At last the sow had had her full and the boar attempted to come in and was once again rebuffed by the sow, after which she ran by me at a trot and proceeded to vacate the premises. The boar began to trot away parallel through the bush and I held my point of aim on a small opening that I hoped he would pass by and to my astonishment his head passed into the opening and I squeezed the trigger and he immediately piled up. My young guide was ecstatic and then the fun began as we wrestled to get a 700 lb boar out of the woods. A big thanks to the Martin’s for their hospitality and of course to the superb dedication of my guides for the hunts Preston and Marc.
IMG_0612.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a trophy, congrats!

compared to the pictures of black bears ive seen ,this one definitely has some size to him .
congratulations .bloke.

Thanks guys, the outfitter mentioned that was their biggest one, i will be interested to see his score when i get the skull back, but regardless of that i am looking forward to the rug!

I have never been overly interested in measuring trophies, but will likely measure this guy. To that end, took a look at the measuring box and it looks like you could construct one rather than spend alot of cash for a one time use. Anybody ever fabricate one?

I'm new to the hunting world, so bear with me on this. How much work is it to pull that monster out of the brush? Did you have ATVs close to aid you, or was is a matter of hooking drag ropes to yourselves and looking for the widest path? I hope to go and bag a bear myself in a few years!

ArmyGrunt, I couldn't even budge it by myself. The thing with bears is there is nothing to grab onto, like a big bag of jello! Lucky for me, my guide had his new ATV strapped into the back of the pick up truck and we used it to drag it to the road. Using the ATV ramps for the back of the truck we hooked a chain come along to the back of the box to help us get him in the truck. If my guide hadn't have had the gear on hand ... would have definitely had to head back into town to see who my friends are :) Good luck on your future bear hunt!

That is a great bear.
"Drag him out of the bush". I hope that you did not scrub your rug.

You appreciate hunting in Africa where a tarp comes out with handles and the game is levitated to the Bakkie by a group of "your best friends".

Let us know the score when he gets dried out.

Brickburn, funny you should mention the tarp with handles. I think it was the first thing i said to the guide after we tried to move him ... did however role him onto a tarp prior to dragging ... will let all know how he ends up for scoring.

Great looking bear. Congrats.

Wow! congrats on the nice bruin!

Congrats on your bear, Persistence payed off big time!

Congratulation on a nice Ontario bear. He is definitely larger than an average Ontario bear. Ontario bears probably average around 200 lbs.
After guiding bear hunters for 20 years I would be surprised if your bear weighed over 350-400 lbs. He is still a nice bear.

Bearhunter, The guides and owner of KapriverOufitters did weigh him in at 700, I have shot my fair share of bears, mostly in NB, but this was my first one in Ont. Previously my biggest bear was just under 400 lbs in Southern New Brunswick, but as we all know the weight don't count at the end of the day, will post how the skull measures up when I get back from the taxidermist. Did you partake in the spring hunt .... here is to hoping the government lets it continue.

Once again congratulations. Spring bears usually are not that large. I did not participate in the spring hunt. The area that we have our BMA is just north of Parry Sound and there is only a fall hunt there. Hope the skull measures out well. Once again congratulations.

Grats on a great hunt, like hunting the Kap area, not as many people and there sure is an abundance of bears. I can help you out as to scoring the bear, pretty simple to measure, just need a set of calipers and tape measure.
I am a scorer for FROW (for all Ontario records) lots of scoring events throughout the province in the spring, and you can check with the Beasleys (Canada in the Rough brothers) they will be able to find a scorer for you on their web site.

Dobber, thanks for the help, will let you know when i get the skull back from the taxidermist in Kap. Also checked out a list of scorers and there seems to be a few quite close to my location.

The skull arrived back from the taxidermist and i did a rough score of 19 1/2. Looking forward to having the rug make its way south in a couple of months!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg