Dip/pack and Tanned hides

Does the same apply for whole skulls? Warthog and baboon? Just the skin is the problem?
Yes, a skull applies, as do bones, etc. You need paperwork to bring anything back especially if it's in a raw uncleaned form. I have brought back a couple warthog tusk bottle openers. Those are OK.

Just so I’m clear, I need paperwork to ship a warthog skull back with other animals dip and pack, even if I’m not taking the warthog hide?

Talking to importers anything swine or primate needs paperwork and to go to a USDA approved site before it goes anywhere else here in the US.

When I talked to them it includes finished and unfinished items.

Any questions I suggest that you contact one of the importers

The warthog bottle openers, key chains are totally separate.

Does the same apply for whole skulls? Warthog and baboon? Just the skin is the problem?
From my experience, only the raw skins fall into the special category. Warthog skulls and tusks can just be sent to any taxidermy or your house with your shipment. They don’t need to go to a usda establishment first. Since there is a difference in opinion maybe make contact with trophy shippers and ask. They’ll give you the real answer.

Just so I’m clear, I need paperwork to ship a warthog skull back with other animals dip and pack, even if I’m not taking the warthog hide?
You don’t do this. This will be done by the taxidermy/shipping agent in Africa. They usually communicate with customer broker who approves paperwork before it gets shipped. It’s a pretty streamlined process usually.

Yes. All the animal parts have to be accounted for. On the USFWS declaration it wants numbers. (The form is a 3177, Google it). So under warthog if you just have a skull or just a hide you'd have one piece, skull and hide 2 pieces. Actually labeled 2/no for number. I'm doing my own dec for a shipment right now because yes, you can have it imported in and do your own wildlife dec and Customs dec if you have it imported somewhere with a port of entry for both like Anchorage, AK. It's actually pretty easy if none of your trophies need to go to an approved facility. I have no swine, primates or unfinished equine. They're all fully finished in RSA. Mine will stay in bond until arrival and then USFWS does their inspection and they clear it, then I take their clearance paperwork to the Customs office and do that dec. Ag might look at them, but they're finished so they are good.

From my experience, only the raw skins fall into the special category. Warthog skulls and tusks can just be sent to any taxidermy or your house with your shipment. They don’t need to go to a usda establishment first. Since there is a difference in opinion maybe make contact with trophy shippers and ask. They’ll give you the real answer.
I talked to Tom at Trophy Shippers and Wyatt at Safari Speciality Importers and in the last year or so it has all changed

I talked to Tom at Trophy Shippers and Wyatt at Safari Speciality Importers and in the last year or so it has all changed
Perhaps USFWS is taking a different outlook but USDA hasn't changed. I do know you'll still need a declaration and such for USFWS.

So, for reference to all this go to the USDA Animal Products Manual. Easy to Google. There's a section for Trophies, 3-20-1. Then work the tables. For a warthog skull table 3-20-7 it can come in without going to an approved facility if it's "Clean, dry, free of pieces of flesh, hide, and sinew and offered for entry as trophies..."
So, if it is all that and you made a declaration for USFWS and have the paperwork from the country (licenses etc.) With you you could walk it through.

The skins are another matter. Table 3-20-5. Most animals can come in if finished chrome tan or hard dried in some way to go to a taxidermy of your choice. But unfinished swine and equine (zebra) are the big ones that have to go to an approved facility.

Primate skulls and such is a CDC thing.

One caveat is the exporting countries requirements. Will they issue those licenses and such quickly? Do they require hides to have vetrinary paperwork to leave?

Looks like to me it’s best left up to the import/export pros. Hard for us common folk to stay on top of things, it’s money well spent in my experience and opinion.
My thoughts too. I pay people to do the job properly and take any stress off me. Same goes for booking flights with firearms.

I just picked up my shipment of animals a couple weeks back. All the paperwork is complete before they ship out there. Once it made it to US, it went to the customs place and as soon as they had paperwork I drove up to their warehouse the next day and picked it up. It was way cheaper than them shipping it 3 hours to my house. They wanted $550. It was great. I cannot wait to get them mounted!

That’s great! It’s always comforting when trophies finally make it to the states. Has your taxidermist given you a timeframe on delivery of the finished mounts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.