Dip/pack and Tanned hides

BLJC30

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Can they ship both of these in the same crate? I want to have my shoulder mounts don in the US but would like to possibly get a zebra hide tanned in SA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same thing with a shipment from Namibia. No issues at all.

Thank you guys. Another question, once your crate with raw hides has been cleared by customs, can you have it shipped to your house or does it have to go to a taxidermist?

Thank you guys. Another question, once your crate with raw hides has been cleared by customs, can you have it shipped to your house or does it have to go to a taxidermist?
As long as no baboon skins or warthog/bushpig skins it should be able to be sent right to your house or any taxidermy. If you are bringing one of those items it will have to go to a usda taxidermy or usda tannery.

Can you bring warthog tusks home in your luggage?

Perhaps I was misled. I wanted taxidermy here/tanning there and was informed it would require separate crating... soooo.... I had everything dipped/packed and sent back. Bummer.

My last trip I had four trophies one a red Hartebeest that I had the hide tanned there.
The rest was just dip and shipped.
With a bunch of excuses like the electricity was being rationed Etc it took nine months to get the tanning done then a month and a half to get it shipped.
For me the tanning took longer than a head mounted.
Tom

One thing on warthogs or primates, I talked to Wiatt at SSI and they are a USDA imported in that once they get your trophies cleared through USF&W the shipment can be sent directly to your home in the US.

I used them for my first safari when they were a vendor on here and I'll be using them this June for my second safari. They are more expensive than some of the other importers but I was impressed how they handled my first safari

Who is SSI?
Do you have a customs broker lined up for your trip? I’m not sure who SSI is but there trophy shippers, coppersmiths, many others. I’ve used @TROPHY SHIPPERS last two trips and have been very happy with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not yet. My trip is still a long ways out.
Do they handle the shipping logistics also or just the customs when it gets here?

Not yet. My trip is still a long ways out.
Do they handle the shipping logistics also or just the customs when it gets here?
You’ll make 3 payments after your safari. You’ll pay the taxidermy for dip and pack. The taxidermy will deliver your trophies to a shipping agent who will ship your trophies to a port of entry in the USA. Then the customs broker will clear your trophies and organize shipping to final destination in USA.

Doing the zebra hide in SA much cheaper than doing it in USA . Few hundred dollars vs $2100 in my case.
T.f he shipping will delay however and I am fine with it

Perhaps I was misled. I wanted taxidermy here/tanning there and was informed it would require separate crating... soooo.... I had everything dipped/packed and sent back. Bummer.
I have always been told that finished taxidermy and raw trophies ( dip and pack) could not be shipped in the same crate as well. I was going to split my 2018 shipment but decided against it to avoid separate shipping charges.

Can they ship both of these in the same crate? I want to have my shoulder mounts don in the US but would like to possibly get a zebra hide tanned in SA.
Yes

Not without paperwork. Just put them in your shipment. Tusks cause no issues just the skins.

Does the same apply for whole skulls? Warthog and baboon? Just the skin is the problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross