Dip and pack

Heath Johnson

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
We will be coming down in August for a hunt and the Outfitter we are using recommends trophy Solutions of Africa for dip and pack. I have a couple questions. First is anybody used this company and did they do a good job for you? Second I am being told buy my local taxidermist that my animals can be shipped directly to him and not go through customs because he is certified with the USDA. Anybody have experience with shipping straight to the taxidermist? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Can't help you with the D&P vendor.

In the US, either the taxidermist or the tannery has the USDA import permit. Your crate will still need to clear customs and get transported from the airport to the taxidermist or tannery. Some guys have cleared their own shipments to save a few bucks. I recently imported a D&P red stag from NZ and as always, I used Coppersmith to handle everything. It cost me about $600 and that included everything from receiving and clearing it at Houston IAH and getting it to a Houston area tannery. The cost is usually about the same, regardless of the number of critters you are importing. It's important to clear it quickly, as it will accumulate a $50 per day charge sitting at some warehouse at the airport.

They have to go through customs no way around it. But other than that they will go from customs to your taxidermist. Are you looking at a importer yet? Unless you are near a major airport and want to go through the hassle of doing it yourself you need one and they are worth the money

Hi Heath, where will you be hunting? I assume South Africa, but the Province you are hunting will influence the D&P provider you might choose. The ONLY Dip & Pack company I have heard consistently positive reports on is Swift Dip in Limpopo Province. I have used them twice and they are top notch. Can’t help you with Trophy Solutions of Africa, I don’t know anything about them. If your Outfitter is recommending them I would dig in a little with him. Grill him a little bit about the quality they have provided to his previous clients. Has he had anyone who has been dissatisfied with quality or service? If so, how common and how has Trophy Solutions responded and resolved their issues? Is he willing to go to bat for you if issues arise? If he tells you there are never issues I would be mighty skeptical.
Dip & Pack companies in general have developed a bit of a bad reputation. If you search around AH a bit you will find some conversations that highlight a number of problems that members here have had.
Good luck and let us know what you find out. Also, best wishes for a wonderful hunt in August! Please post a report with plenty of pictures when you get back.

Last edited:
Hi Heath, where will you be hunting? I assume South Africa, but the Province you are hunting will influence the D&P provider you might choose. The ONLY Dip & Pack company I have heard consistently positive reports on is Swift Dip in Limpopo Province. I have used them twice and they are top notch. Can’t help you with Trophy Solutions of Africa, I don’t know anything about them. If your Outfitter is recommending them I would dig in a little with him. Grill him a little bit about the quality they have provided to his precious clients. Has he had anyone who has been dissatisfied with quality or service? If so, how common and how has Trophy Solutions responded and resolved their issues? Is he willing to go to bat for you if issues arise? If he tells you there are never issues I would be mighty skeptical.
Dip & Pack companies in general have developed a bit of a bad reputation. If you search around AH a bit you will find some conversations that highlight a number of problems that members here have had.
Good luck and let us know what you find out. Also, best wishes for a wonderful hunt in August! Please post a report with plenty of pictures when you get back.

Limpopo is where we will be hunting near Alldays. Thank you for your reply. I will check into Swift dip.

Trophy solutions is first rate. I used them in 2015 and just returned from Africa Sunday and I am using them right now for dip pack. They have 99 day guarantee to process your order out the door from moment you do the paperwork they need. Right and tight shop. Just look at their website

Hi Heath!
Your shipment will still need to clear through US Customs. Depending on what is in the shipment will depend if it has to go to a USDA certified establishment, however if the taxidermist is certified anyways then that will make it pretty easy. Depending on if your taxidermist does their own tanning work, it could be shipped directly to their tannery as well. We would love to help you with this process. We can handle everything with your shipment for you by working with your dip/pack company and exporter to review and approve your paperwork, tell the exporter where to send it, clear USDA, US FWS, and US Customs, and domestic delivery to your taxidermist.

As always our AH discount would apply. $400 customs clearances to all AH members. No surprise fees. Just $400.

Good luck on your hunt and are here to chat if and when you need us!

Best Regards,

Tom

Hi Heath!
Your shipment will still need to clear through US Customs. Depending on what is in the shipment will depend if it has to go to a USDA certified establishment, however if the taxidermist is certified anyways then that will make it pretty easy. Depending on if your taxidermist does their own tanning work, it could be shipped directly to their tannery as well. We would love to help you with this process. We can handle everything with your shipment for you by working with your dip/pack company and exporter to review and approve your paperwork, tell the exporter where to send it, clear USDA, US FWS, and US Customs, and domestic delivery to your taxidermist.

As always our AH discount would apply. $400 customs clearances to all AH members. No surprise fees. Just $400.

Good luck on your hunt and are here to chat if and when you need us!

Best Regards,

Tom
I will get in touch with you this weekend if you are available. Contact info please.

As has been said it will have to clear US Customs. I believe any swine or primates must go to USDA certified taxidermist then onward.
Philip

Tra3- great hunt with Ernest. He never stops pleasing you in all ways. My son and I shot 16 plains game critters and had a blast for 10 days . Will do a write up this week . Caught some virus on the 30 hour trip home and have been recovering slowly. Roan ,sable , 3 zebra, 2 gemsbuck, tsessebe, warthogs,hartabeast, 2 great Kudu, nyala, 2 impala, a sedan , 2 pickups and a washing machine!

Heath, if your PH wants to use Trophy Solutions it is because he wants you to be happy and trusts them and is use to having them work on / pickup your stuff . They are fair priced . Have fun !

I actually had some taxidermy done by trophy solutions and was very happy. They had excellent communication throughout.

Trophy solutions is first rate. I used them in 2015 and just returned from Africa Sunday and I am using them right now for dip pack. They have 99 day guarantee to process your order out the door from moment you do the paperwork they need. Right and tight shop. Just look at their website
Thank you very much for your input.

I have used Trophy Solutions twice with no issues- they are responsive to emails and kept me informed. I do think they are slightly higher than a few of the other Dip and Pack places in the area, but I had no problem either shipment.

I have used Trophy Solutions twice with no issues- they are responsive to emails and kept me informed. I do think they are slightly higher than a few of the other Dip and Pack places in the area, but I had no problem either shipment.
Thank you for your reply.

Heath if you in limppoppo use Swift Dip Johan does good dip pack but he's long way from limppoppo region. Swift dip excellent work and they are not taxidermist so no conflict of interest and I prefer clients use only dip pack companies. No used car sales pitch to get your work done by them and leave in Africa in a lower quality environment

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.