Delta just cancelled June 1 ATL to JNB flight

Delta website said flights to Jberg started June 1. I called FF desk and they confirmed flight on June 3 was a go. But a week later when I called travel agent to pay for the ticket he advised Delta canceled flights even though many tickets had been sold. My point is it a'int over until the fat lady sings and you are on the ground in Jberg.

The Ethiopian Air connection to Windhoek seems to be a very tight connection in and out, especially with firearms. Would truly like to hear from anyone regarding their experience with their trip, and any issues with the tight connection..
I’ve spoken to some who recently took this flight with the tight connection. They said they will hold the plane if need be as you have to go downstairs and recheck your rifle with the security folks. They know this and has been working out.

Said it before, say it again. I for one am glad I canceled last year, got full refunds, and didnt book for this year.
Maybe next year,,, maybe....

Said it before, say it again. I for one am glad I canceled last year, got full refunds, and didnt book for this year.
Maybe next year,,, maybe....
From what I've been reading in the industry rags, Delta and United don't have the load, Qatar has been eating their lunch and they've lost what little of US to Africa passengers remaining to other carriers. The Delta Airbus/Capteown miscue didn't help either.

I'm with the majority here... our favorite travel agents set me up with Qatar for my July 2nd flight from Dulles to Johannesburg. And unless dementia Joe makes Rona vaccines mandatory for travel, I'll be on that plane. Now if only I could find some ammunition for my rifle battery.... but that's another story
A good travel broker (knowing you are a gun nut) is worth their weight in elephant's testicles. Our one has performed miracles when it came to squeezing us into the cabin at a moment's notice (I suspect they kicked somebody off the flight, but). We lavish ours with all kinds of gifts, movie passes, fine wines etc. They have forgotten more about the air industry than we will ever learn and to have someone with these skills is vital for the air-traveling hunter.

Consider Qatar Airlines...

You can catch one of multiple daily direct flights from either Denver or CO Springs to DFW... then DFW direct to Doha... Doha to Joberg..

I paid $1398 for my mid July flights... they were as cheap as $1200 if I would have bought them back in January...

Coming out of CO I don’t think they’d be a whole lot more expensive..

I’m heading out on June 1st via Quatar.

I’m heading out on June 1st via Quatar.

Good luck. I hope you can find a Covid test that you can get done in time with that being a Holiday weekend before you depart. I was scheduled to leave on June 1 but changed departure dates as no 72 hour tests available in time with that being Memorial Weekend

Their website says direct EWR-JNB starts June 3.

I booked this flight for mid September. I sure hope it works out. This is 18 hours, going with Emirates through Dubai is 35 hours. I hear great things about Emirates, but given my personality, I'd wig out having to be on a plane that amount of additional time. lol I just wish Covid restrictions would get behind us!!

Good luck. I hope you can find a Covid test that you can get done in time with that being a Holiday weekend before you depart. I was scheduled to leave on June 1 but changed departure dates as no 72 hour tests available in time with that being Memorial Weekend

Already got it planned my friend, good looking out.

I booked the ATL to JNB flight for mid august. I’ll be relieved when I see them actually operating this flight.

I asked someone who works at delta who asked someone higher up about this flight. He said because they retired the 777 it would be a long time until they have enough 300s or whatever the new plane is to operate the flight. He was saying they may not run the flight until 2022.

I’m not sure I believe this. I can’t imagine they would book flights that they had no intentions of actually operating.

I booked the ATL to JNB flight for mid august. I’ll be relieved when I see them actually operating this flight.

I asked someone who works at delta who asked someone higher up about this flight. He said because they retired the 777 it would be a long time until they have enough 300s or whatever the new plane is to operate the flight. He was saying they may not run the flight until 2022.

I’m not sure I believe this. I can’t imagine they would book flights that they had no intentions of actually operating.
With Delta, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if they are just testing the waters. One of the worst corporations out there in my opinion. I wouldn’t own their stock if they gave it to me and I never fly Delta unless there are no other choices. Same for United and living near Denver makes not using United a challenge. The wife and I use Southwest and Alaskan over United when we can.

Has anyone heard if they've extended the cancelation past the 5th? I just did a search for flights leaving on the 9th and they don't even show the direct flight from Atlanta in the searches anymore, and sadly that's the flight we are booked on. Only flights showing now are the connecting flight going through Amsterdam.

I've been checking and did notice the following week in June fell off the availability calander.
Sure wish delta would just go ahead state when their flights will kick off.

Yep, and it shouldn't take this long to inform people their flights have been canceled. Hell, you'd think that if the flight wasn't canceled, they still would be selling tickets on it so I'm sure it has been canceled. But really, an automated email saying it has been canceled should be happening the moment it's canceled but that has never happened for me in the past and it sure doesn't seem like it is happening now either.

I did a July search and Delta flights not showing up. Good luck if you booked on canceled Delta to Jberg flights. My travel agent advised Delta will not refund money and will offer a rerouted ticket through AMS.

Did a sample Delta booking to Joburg leaving Philadelphia, PA, June 22. Route is PHL-BOS-AMS-JNB, two stops and 23 hours travel time. Return through Capetown and Atlanta, 23 hours. Economy was $2302.

Hello Qatar.

Made a call to Delta customer service around noon today as I wanted to know if we will have a flight come October. The rep stated they INTEND to be flying in October.
I feel confident i will be taking a longer route and booking through another airline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg