Deer attack

Dr Ray

AH legend
Joined
Apr 1, 2017
Messages
4,298
Reaction score
6,534
Location
Cairns, Australia
Media
53
Articles
5
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
7
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
Man in Victoria (south east mainland Australia) was attacked by his pet deer when he went to feed it.
He subsequently died from injuries. The species of deer is unknown but probably a Sambar deer. These deer are big can weigh around 230 kgs (over 500 lbs) and in fact are heavier than a male lion.
Just shows you that these animals can never be truly domesticated.
I also hear that the mans wife was injured and saved by their son who hit the deer with a lump of wood.
 
Depending on which news service one listens to, the deer was either a red deer or a red deer / wapiti cross. In the published photos it looks more like a red than a cross. Most people with experience know that male deer in particular can't be domesticated and become highly aggressive during the rut. Being raised as a pet they have no fear of man. Sadly, all too many people with no idea buy a hobby farm and come to grief one way or the other.
 
Sad to hear someone lost their life this way.
 
Yes, people do not take these animals near serious enough. I raise red deer as well as a ton of other species of animals. They are without a doubt dangerous. The mistake people make must often is trusting the animal. At best it can be a painful injury at worst one dies.
 
Cassowaries are actually terrifying

the best thing to do something with them is this :whistle: :

IMG_4958.JPG


important is a large grill ;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one

Protected and there’s no way I’ll grab one
 
All species of "buck" can be dangerous. A tame male springbuck will become territorial and attack anyone who comes into its turf. I also know of one instance in which a half tame kudu killed its owner and another case in which a wild but habituated fallow deer stag attacked and killed someone - completely unprovoked but during the rut. Other species which have been known to attack unprovoked include bushbuck and gemsbuck.
A tourist was also killed by a giraffe last year. I don't know that it was intentional, but even a casual swipe from a giraffe is enough to kill.
Bottom line is that these are wild animals and potentially lethal. People who ignore this make a mistake.
 
From the pics on the news looked to be elk red cross.
 
I feel that a lot of people who do not venture into the bush (as we do) forget that these animals remain wild at heart. Due to this loss of contact with the natural world, they then anthropomorphise such animals (both the media and antis are also accountable here), thereby lulling tbemselves into a false sense of security. Then when the animal reverts to instinct, their owners are shocked when they get injured, or - unfortunately in this case - killed. Condolences to the family and friends.
 
I feel that a lot of people who do not venture into the bush (as we do) forget that these animals remain wild at heart. Due to this loss of contact with the natural world, they then anthropomorphise such animals (both the media and antis are also accountable here), thereby lulling tbemselves into a false sense of security. Then when the animal reverts to instinct, their owners are shocked when they get injured, or - unfortunately in this case - killed. Condolences to the family and friends.
For what it's worth the guy was a hunter
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,571,365
Members
169,344
Latest member
linebet
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top