Darn Darn Triple Darn! So Close….But Yet So Far!

Sue Tidwell

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, DSC, RMEF, Wild Sheep Society, etc
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, Mozambique
At 7:45 this morning (December 26), we got an excited call from our son-in-law, who lives 300 yards from us: “Are those wolves in the pasture above your Mom’s?”. Rick got out his spotting scope and, sure enough, 5 blackish gray wolves were laying in the field about his Mom’s cattle pasture….1 ½ miles away! Rick grabbed his rifle, and off we went. Rick has bought three Idaho wolf tags each year since it became legal…but hunting those critters is not easy. It takes skill coupled with a lot of luck.

From his Mom’s house, we couldn’t see the field. So, we climbed the stack of round bales, praying it offered a view. It was a long shot – literally and figuratively. The field was still 700 yards away. Rick got in position and was able to spot one wolf briefly before it disappeared over the hill. Less than 100 yards below the wolves, five mule deer were laying in the pasture, and another five further down. From across the canyon, Damian could still see all five wolves, but they were now up and on the move.

Here is the DARN DARN Triple DARN part! Normally, Rick (with me tagging along) would have walked up the draw and stalked them. BUT Rick had to leave to go back to Seattle for a three-day flight (he’s a pilot)…and Snoqualmie Pass had finally opened after days of on-and-off closure. In two days, the snow was supposed to start again. Although I wanted him to call off work, he did the responsible thing…although it about killed him to pass up such an opportunity.

So, as we speak, he is on his way to Seattle, and Damian, our son-in-law, is on the hunt. It's still a long shot. Damian is less patient than Rick and doesn’t have nearly the hunting experience.

I hope you don’t mind me blabbing away about this. It was just an exciting morning…and I knew I wouldn’t get blasted on this sight for posting about wolf hunting.

On a side note: When I was young and naïve in my 20’s, I was a wolf advocate. I wanted wolves wild and free everywhere. Careful what you wish for. I ended up marrying smack dab into the heart of wolf country…and watched the demise of elk and other creatures after the wolf reintroduction and years of mismanagement. I’m not proud of my well-intentioned but misinformed past, but it helped make me who I am today. I don’t believe in coincidences. I believe it was part of my learning experience, one I can use to hopefully help others NOT make the same mistakes.
IMG_0333.jpeg

The wolves were in the hay field at the top of the picture near the skyline.
IMG_0327.jpeg

Rick hoping the stack of hay bales would offer a view of the wolves.
IMG_0320.jpeg

Rick and I on top of the hay bales, hoping it would give him a shot...but he saw could see only one wolf and it was gone almost instantly.

An exciting adventure nonetheless! You’ll get them next time.

At 7:45 this morning (December 26), we got an excited call from our son-in-law, who lives 300 yards from us: “Are those wolves in the pasture above your Mom’s?”. Rick got out his spotting scope and, sure enough, 5 blackish gray wolves were laying in the field about his Mom’s cattle pasture….1 ½ miles away! Rick grabbed his rifle, and off we went. Rick has bought three Idaho wolf tags each year since it became legal…but hunting those critters is not easy. It takes skill coupled with a lot of luck.

From his Mom’s house, we couldn’t see the field. So, we climbed the stack of round bales, praying it offered a view. It was a long shot – literally and figuratively. The field was still 700 yards away. Rick got in position and was able to spot one wolf briefly before it disappeared over the hill. Less than 100 yards below the wolves, five mule deer were laying in the pasture, and another five further down. From across the canyon, Damian could still see all five wolves, but they were now up and on the move.

Here is the DARN DARN Triple DARN part! Normally, Rick (with me tagging along) would have walked up the draw and stalked them. BUT Rick had to leave to go back to Seattle for a three-day flight (he’s a pilot)…and Snoqualmie Pass had finally opened after days of on-and-off closure. In two days, the snow was supposed to start again. Although I wanted him to call off work, he did the responsible thing…although it about killed him to pass up such an opportunity.

So, as we speak, he is on his way to Seattle, and Damian, our son-in-law, is on the hunt. It's still a long shot. Damian is less patient than Rick and doesn’t have nearly the hunting experience.

I hope you don’t mind me blabbing away about this. It was just an exciting morning…and I knew I wouldn’t get blasted on this sight for posting about wolf hunting.

On a side note: When I was young and naïve in my 20’s, I was a wolf advocate. I wanted wolves wild and free everywhere. Careful what you wish for. I ended up marrying smack dab into the heart of wolf country…and watched the demise of elk and other creatures after the wolf reintroduction and years of mismanagement. I’m not proud of my well-intentioned but misinformed past, but it helped make me who I am today. I don’t believe in coincidences. I believe it was part of my learning experience, one I can use to hopefully help others NOT make the same mistakes.
View attachment 507632
The wolves were in the hay field at the top of the picture near the skyline.
View attachment 507633
Rick hoping the stack of hay bales would offer a view of the wolves.
View attachment 507634
Rick and I on top of the hay bales, hoping it would give him a shot...but he saw could see only one wolf and it was gone almost instantly.
You've had an exciting morning! I am glad to hear that you are learning. Now maybe you will be able to teach other well meaning but naive people some of the hard facts about wildlife.
Best wishes for the new year!
Doug

Do you need some help??
If there are deer in the area the wolves will return. Keep checking, you'll get one or more of them.

You've had an exciting morning! I am glad to hear that you are learning. Now maybe you will be able to teach other well meaning but naive people some of the hard facts about wildlife.
Best wishes for the new year!
Doug
Doug, I’m sure working hard to do just that! I’ve spent the last four years of my life deviated to Cries of the Savanna. It won The book won this years wildlife society education award. I actually dedicate an entire chapter to the wolf debacle….and my transition. The bad thing is that I was still emotionally attached to Africa wildlife so I had a hard time with that too….UNTIL i got to Africa and again experienced first hand why hunting is so important. I promised Lilian out game scout that I would try to help others like me understand. That pledge evolved into the book. So I am trying with all my heart!

Doug, I’m sure working hard to do just that! I’ve spent the last four years of my life deviated to Cries of the Savanna. It won The book won this years wildlife society education award. I actually dedicate an entire chapter to the wolf debacle….and my transition. The bad thing is that I was still emotionally attached to Africa wildlife so I had a hard time with that too….UNTIL i got to Africa and again experienced first hand why hunting is so important. I promised Lilian out game scout that I would try to help others like me understand. That pledge evolved into the book. So I am trying with all my heart!
Good for you! You are making us all proud!

Do you need some help??
Of course! Come on down. Lol! Rick is trying to get hold of a couple nearby buddies to take a gander at it. Ricks Mom is beside herself worried about them being so close with calling season coming.

Meanwhile they are introducing the wolves into Colorado into the most elk rich areas of the country in the next year. Funny how the animal rights people don't care about elk and moose herds being devastated.

Colorado is basically "East California" at this point. The liberal elites are running that state.

Very good story for noe, i wish it could be ordinary wolf hunt here,and nit only special culls that dont do so much as intended ,or ara using the courts all the time.

Wolf is a weapon of being used as a mean of control and oppression towards the rural lands and all the fine animals,both wild game,livestock,working animals and pets. A genocide which the NobleWolf clan cheers and get their aztec bloodlust rage over.

Sue, tell us more about your book.

I just finished a hunt with my vegetarian daughter who has come to love hunting. I can understand the transformation.

good luck next time with the wolves. It will be hard to not keep looking out the window!!

Meanwhile they are introducing the wolves into Colorado into the most elk rich areas of the country in the next year. Funny how the animal rights people don't care about elk and moose herds being devastated.

Colorado is basically "East California" at this point. The liberal elites are running that state.
I feel for you ….and the others in your state. And of course the wildlife. Rick and I were heartbroken when we heard that Colorado was introducing them there too. Things are finally a bit better here. The elk are learning not to bugle when wolves are in the area, etc. Plus gosh and game is eliminating quite a few each winter by helicopter. Tons of hunters have permits but they are like hunting ghosts in the wind. We’ve seen them on multiple occasions but they are gone so fast you don’t even have a chance to react. This fall we rode 15 miles on horseback to the top of a mountain. Set up camp. Went to bugle before dark. A bull returned with a short weird sounding bugle. It was near dark so we went back to camp but we’re excited to know they were there. Less than an hour later before we even had our fire going, we heard a whole pack of wolves. We listened to them get closer for the next 3 hours. By morning they were at the edge of the meadow. We think that elk was trying to tell us to “shut the Frank up!” Needless to say, that ended the elk hunt. We are praying for Colorado.

It appears that the anti hunters are not pro animals. They would rather see elk and moose go extinct than see hunters enjoy them.

I propose that we elect Sue Tidwell as AH's Ambassador-at-Large, and Educator extraordinaire; do I have a seconder for the motion?
I’ll second the Educator Extraordinaire without reservation.
The research she put into Cries of the Savanna was beyond impressive.

Ahh, thanks so much for saying so. Even though after being in Africa I knew the truth of it in my heart, I knew I needed to back up my conclusions with non-hunting sources. Then, as with any research, it took me down a bunch of rabbit holes. Maybe too many. lol! Anyway, thanks so much for the compliment. It is appreciated.
I’ll second the Educator Extraordinaire without reservation.
The research she put into Cries of the Savanna was beyond impressive

Wow, never seen bales stacked like that here in Texas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you