AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime NRA member, Lifetime SCI Member
I’m interested in putting an optic on my 404/416. I have 2 Swaros and the rest are leupold. I’m looking at the the VX6HD and VX3 scopes. Other than the 30mm tube versus 1 inch tube; is there benefit to one over the other?

What say you?

Cant go wrong with any you mentioned in my book. I have a VXR 2x7x33 red dot on my .375 and works great!

If you're looking to spend VX6 kind of money, there is a better product out there.

NOTHING I've ever owned compares to a Swaro Z6 1-6x24 EE (extended eye relief). They now have a z8i illuminated 1-8x24 too. With that setup you can hunt DG at close ranges and low light while still using it for plains game at 300 yards should the need arise.

Almost every rifle I own for every application I have has one of these Z6 optics. So low in the mounts, so quick to acquire, so good.

I have a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 on my 416RM and love it.

Whichever scope you get, having quality quick detachable (QD) mounts to put it in is smart.
A good set of backup iron sights is a solid plan as well.

Thanks for the replies. I really like the Swaro z6 and have the 2.5-15x56 on one of my Fierce rifles. For $1600 I’d buy another but looks like the EE model is discontinued with the only offering of the z6i for $2k. This makes the leupold for $1300 much more appealing.

If I can find a Swaro off of a member I would Consider it. Another member has a VX6 for $700.

Is the Warne QD mounts adequate for the 400s? No experience with these.

$700 a good deal on a VX6!

Thanks for the replies. I really like the Swaro z6 and have the 2.5-15x56 on one of my Fierce rifles. For $1600 I’d buy another but looks like the EE model is discontinued with the only offering of the z6i for $2k. This makes the leupold for $1300 much more appealing.

If I can find a Swaro off of a member I would Consider it. Another member has a VX6 for $700.

Hi Andrew,

Buy a used or new old stock EE 1-6 swaro. They stand behind their warranty. The well heeled bought those z6 models and forgot to mount them to rifles. Then the z8 came out and they didn't want the z6 anymore. I bought all of mine from $900-$1400 New In Box on the world's largest auction site or on the gun sites.

Also,

as of today, Guidefitter just added swarovski. Not sure of the discounts, but likely 30% off if you're an outfitter, guide, operator, hunter ed instructor, work in the industry, have two eyes, have a stomach, respirate, etc.

Hi Andrew,

Buy a used or new old stock EE 1-6 swaro. They stand behind their warranty. The well heeled bought those z6 models and forgot to mount them to rifles. Then the z8 came out and they didn't want the z6 anymore. I bought all of mine from $900-$1400 New In Box on the world's largest auction site or on the gun sites.
I’ll check that out. Nothing compares to the Swaro at low light. If I can get one for the price you mentioned it’s a no brained!

There are two junctions to consider...scope to the rings & rings to the rifle.

Warne, Talley and Alaska Arms are quality rings that several here have used on big bores.
Any of these will lock up the scope to rings with no issue.

As for the joint between the rifle and the rings...
Personally, I like to see them with some type of indexing notch for a big bore.
Picatinny/Weaver rail or CZ style dovetail with notch work well.
Something that will give a positive shoulder for the rings to index from and prevent slippage.

Keep an eye on the classifieds here for used scopes...always seems to be something available.

Thanks BeeMaa!

Ill get the Warne rings. You’re right about the classifieds, lots of good stuff in classifieds at times.

Swaros and Zeiss are great optics no doubt! Leupold V-6 gives you eye relief,great resolution and ruggedness.No other scope gives you all three.

For dangerously loaded animals, is it not better to use the rifle with open sights, to achieve a faster face?

Only if you're actually faster with open sights, most clients aren't, despite what they think.

And, as a client your most important shot is the first one. Very few clients have to stop a charge and if they are even in that situation it's 99% because they screwed up the first shot. Therefore, a rifle with a scope is the better choice. That or limiting your distance.

Only if you're actually faster with open sights, most clients aren't, despite what they think.

And, as a client your most important shot is the first one. Very few clients have to stop a charge and if they are even in that situation it's 99% because they screwed up the first shot. Therefore, a rifle with a scope is the better choice. That or limiting your distance.
Thanks for answering my question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I am much faster with a low power scope, 1,25 to 2x than with any open or peep sight even in a very close range situation.
May be at 2 to 5 paces an open sight would be better.

Best!

CF

I like the leupolds for sure. For me it depends on the deal i get on the optic.

This is very true! If you are accustom to using an optic I’d stick with that. Most hunters in the US hunt other game with an optic and it’s second nature to point and be on target with the cross hairs. Swapping to open sights “ at least for me”, is challenging.
I’d rather have an optic and make a good first shot on the animal and avoid a charge situation. I know charges occur for a variety of reasons but I’d like to do my part to prevent it as much as possible.

I wish I saw well through Swarovski scopes but I flat out don’t. It’s been five years since I looked at any but I looked through a bunch. Z3 I believe and some Z models with higher numbers than 3. I don’t remember it well but Z6 rings a bell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg