Captain Munro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
jtwannabewriter.blogspot.com
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
How is the DSC Convention for a first time attendee with limited hunting experience? I am particularly interested in the firearms department, so are there a lot of high end safari rifle manufacturers represented there? I am too poor to buy anything, but I would love to look at them.
Are there any hacks for attending the convention on the cheap? Hotels are pretty expensive, the best I could find was around 388 bucks for the 6th through the 9th. I think I can attend for free as a veteran.
Any other advice or tips?
What else is good to see and do in Dallas for if my fiancée would like to join me?
If you had to chose between the SCI or DSC conventions which would you choose?
Thank you for the help and information!

My thoughts on your questions:

*DSC very good for a first timer, lots of outfitters from the US and the entire world
*Between the 2 conventions, I would choose Dallas every time
*No "Cheap" options, however if you stay a few miles out of town, the hotels can be 1/2 to 2/3 of the prices downtown. There are buses that pick up at many hotels along the way to bring you to the convention door.
*there are usually a good amount of firearms manufacturers, including a few customs ones
*If you can, go to the YO ranch steakhouse one evening, not cheap but pretty good and in the downtown area

My thoughts on your questions:

*DSC very good for a first timer, lots of outfitters from the US and the entire world
*Between the 2 conventions, I would choose Dallas every time
*No "Cheap" options, however if you stay a few miles out of town, the hotels can be 1/2 to 2/3 of the prices downtown. There are buses that pick up at many hotels along the way to bring you to the convention door.
*there are usually a good amount of firearms manufacturers, including a few customs ones
*If you can, go to the YO ranch steakhouse one evening, not cheap but pretty good and in the downtown area
Thank you for the advice! Won't be to bad if I can convince the fiancée to come along and split the costs haha.

The DSC entry fee is less. They both have many of the same exhibitors. It is a huge event, so you’ll see all kinds of things. Those two shows are really an “everything hunting” event.
go earlier in the morning, fewer people, but you’ll be there all day.

I much prefer DSC. Part of that is because I just don't get Vegas, and would rather put my money in a pile in the street and burn it than stick it in a machine. More importantly, DSC has a terrific volunteer staff that gives the clear impression they are part of something they love - not a job for a few days. Lastly, to me at least, SCI has a far more elitist feel to the whole production.

Yes, you will have the opportunity to see and fondle a broad array of fine guns. Conveniently, they are located in one general area. The major manufacturers will be there with their current offerings as will a number of purveyors of fine guns. For instance Champlin will be there. http://www.champlinarms.com/ They are one of the most trusted names in vintage firearms and both George Caswell and JJ Perodeau (the only man who works on any of my fine guns) will be behind the table. There is also an area set aside for the gunmakers guild and you can chat with some of the most gifted custom gunmakers on the planet.

There are quite a few good restaurants in easy uber range of the Omni Center (use uber and not cabs in Dallas). Should your fiancée become bored, a Nieman's mother ship is nearby.

And of course, the AH dinner on Friday evening is a must do event! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...dallas-safari-club-dsc-convention-2022.64124/

I much prefer DSC. Part of that is because I just don't get Vegas, and would rather put my money in a pile in the street and burn it than stick it in a machine. More importantly, DSC has a terrific volunteer staff that gives the clear impression they are part of something they love - not a job for a few days. Lastly, to me at least, SCI has a far more elitist feel to the whole production.

Yes, you will have the opportunity to see and fondle a broad array of fine guns. Conveniently, they are located in one general area. The major manufacturers will be there with their current offerings as will a number of purveyors of fine guns. For instance Champlin will be there. http://www.champlinarms.com/ They are one of the most trusted names in vintage firearms and both George Caswell and JJ Perodeau (the only man who works on any of my fine guns) will be behind the table. There is also an area set aside for the gunmakers guild and you can chat with some of the most gifted custom gunmakers on the planet.

There are quite a few good restaurants in easy uber range of the Omni Center (use uber and not cabs in Dallas). Should your fiancée become bored, a Nieman's mother ship is nearby.

And of course, the AH dinner on Friday evening is a must do event! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...dallas-safari-club-dsc-convention-2022.64124/
I am really thinking about coming in Thursday to Saturday and the plane ticket timing would allow me to visit all 3 days if I wanted to. I would be psyched to see some of those rifles that I only hear about on the forum. No gun shops in 100+ miles of me have anything along those lines, just black plastic.

Reactions: WAB
I am really thinking about coming in Thursday to Saturday and the plane ticket timing would allow me to visit all 3 days if I wanted to. I would be psyched to see some of those rifles that I only hear about on the forum. No gun shops in 100+ miles of me have anything along those lines, just black plastic.

You won’t be disappointed. @Red Leg described it very well. DSC has a much more relaxed vibe than SCI, and like him, if I never see Vegas again that will suit me just fine.

Red Leg's post is accurate. There are lots of amazing rifles, shotguns and pistols to see. Some of the big name manufacturers have booths: Rigby, Blazer, Heym, Verney-Carron, etc. Also many retailers of fine guns including pre-owned safari rifles.
Just be aware that the convention center in Dallas is huge. DSC is in two of the largest exhibit halls and you can wear yourself out walking around. There are food and beverage areas in both halls for a sit down break.
As for hotels, if you have a car you should be able to get a hotel on the north side of Dallas (between DFW Airport and downtown) for less than the downtown hotels are charging. There is ample parking around the convention center if you get there in the morning. I recommend getting a car. Dallas is spread out and much easier to get around by car.
Have fun!

Red Leg's post is accurate. There are lots of amazing rifles, shotguns and pistols to see. Some of the big name manufacturers have booths: Rigby, Blazer, Heym, Verney-Carron, etc. Also many retailers of fine guns including pre-owned safari rifles.
Just be aware that the convention center in Dallas is huge. DSC is in two of the largest exhibit halls and you can wear yourself out walking around. There are food and beverage areas in both halls for a sit down break.
As for hotels, if you have a car you should be able to get a hotel on the north side of Dallas (between DFW Airport and downtown) for less than the downtown hotels are charging. There is ample parking around the convention center if you get there in the morning. I recommend getting a car. Dallas is spread out and much easier to get around by car.
Have fun!
If I do manage to go, I may utilize Uber and I found a Hilton downtown that is affordable (for me) for 2 nights). I was looking at the Exhibitor map and wow there is a lot!

If you walk fast and don’t spend too much time at any one booth, you can do it in a day. That said, two days will give you a better pace and give you the evening to organize your notes for purchases the next day. Assuming you don’t take in excess booze which is very easy to do. Booze is sold on the floor, and happy hour in the Omni bar in the evening, then add dinner and drinks and you are way over the legal limit.

If you haven’t been before, a visit to the grassy knoll is sobering.
Funny you said that. Last time in Dallas I had some time to kill late one afternoon and ended up walking to Dealey Plaza and stood on what I believe to be the exact same pedestal (at the end of the low wall) that Zapruder stood on as he filmed the motorcade. It was about dusk and the street and plaza were relatively empty. I watched the Zapruder film on my phone as I stood at the exact spot it was filmed from. IDK why, but it made the hairs stand up on my neck. Very eerie.

Very important. Take a good pair of walking shoes. That cement floor is tough on feet. One lap through the booths is several miles. I use a pair of old athletic shoes. Tennis shoes in the old days

Very important. Take a good pair of walking shoes. That cement floor is tough on feet. One lap through the booths is several miles. I use a pair of old athletic shoes. Tennis shoes in the old days
I have good hikers and Hoka One runners which ought to do it!

DSC is bit overwhelming for a first timer. It will have lots of high end guns for you to see. It is the cheaper of the two big conventions and only $20/ day. You will want at least two full days if not more. You won’t have time to do much else but keep in mind there is so very much for your wife there as well. There are clothing vendors of all kinds plus jewelry!
there are informational seminars you will want to check out as well. The evening banquets are an inspiring time and you will want to plan that maybe for next time. Meet with us on Friday night at Gilles for the AH dinner.
have fun!
Philip

As others have said, prepare to be overwhelmed! So much to see. Also the only place I've been where you can casually handle guns that retail for $150k+. The firearm selection definitely leans more towards fine walnut, engravings, and blued steel rather than black guns or pistols, but there is some of that too.

Free to military- and they'll frequently let your family in for free too.

Everyone is super friendly and approachable at DSC.

Be careful about bringing your spouse along! That's where it gets pricey! I've yet to manage a visit to DSC where my wife didn't leave with a new fur coat or piece of jewelry!

Just be prepared to drop a Benjamin as soon as you walk in on some raffles for guns and trips. Sold by some really attractive ladies, you cannot say no. Well hell, I can’t anyway.

Well, if I do go, it will probably only be for 2 days and a night. The hotels are expensive! My potential flight would get me to Dallas around 8 am the first day and I would not have to be to the airport again until 6 or 7 the next day. It may be possible!

Looks like I am going from January 7th to the 8th! I know it probably is not long enough, but at least I will get a taste haha. Look for the doofus in the attached picture and say hello.
20181111_140442.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharynSoli

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross