Cz550 sight question

I have 2 CZ 550's- 458 lott and 30-06. Sights are different- 458 is express sight with a shallow V and 2 mm front bead. I got a brass 3 mm bead fitted on the existing bead so the centre of the bead is unchanged. That is dead on at 75 m with a combat hold ie the centre of the bead is where the bullet lands. The 3006 has a u shaped back sight and is dead on with a 6 oclock hold. 2 different purposes- the 3006 allows me to pick my target and aim small, the 458 is set up to put the bead on the target and pull the trigger.
 
what you have not mentioned in this exercise is what distance you would like to have you sights zeroed... I would assume that your Rigby would be different than you 375..
By using a trajectory calculator such as JBM
https://www.jbmballistics.com/
you can figure out where you bullet is crossing the line of sight on the way up and down...
As it is with your 416 shooting 2"s high at 50yrds it would be crossing the line of sight on the way down just short of 200yrds
For example my 505 Gibbs has express sights only.. using a trajectory calculator I determined I wanted my load to cross the line of sight on the way up at 30yrds ... with the bullet leaving the gun roughly 1/2' below line of sight it crosses at 30 stays within a 1/2" above line of sight and crosses on the way down at 110 yards
Your 416 is shooting high so you need to lower the rear sight or raise the front '
If you are so inclined you can roughly file down your rear sight at the range until it is shooting where you want it then finish it at home using Cold Blue to re-blacken your sight
 
As my eyes got older, a ghost ring (not huge) closer to my eye, became far superior to a notched rear. Even in my late 50s I coul ring the 600 yard steel (18" gong) with my FALs.

Great fun in the military surplus rifle matches we did. FWIW, the worst sight of all was the K98 Mauser.

For closer and fast (shotgun with slugs to 100) I used a Williams rear with the aperture removed - making for a largish ghost ring. Your brain will automatically center the front sight in the ghost ring.
 
For target shooting, I prefer the 6:00 hold. However for hunting I prefer point of aim, i.e. the bullet hits just above or at the top of the front sight. Peeps or Ghost Rings work best for my old eyes.
 
this:

View attachment 590391



I've never liked it.


That's a great diagram.

I use a mixture of the standard and 6 o'clock hold sight pictures.

When I'm zeroing a hunting rifle I take a 6 0'clock hold for a sight picture and I adjust the sights so that the bullets impact to where I'm aiming. I find that method provides me with a clearer aiming mark. So I guess that's using a standard sight picture to hit the bottom of a bullseye target.

Then when I'm hunting I just use a standard sight picture.....aim where you want to hit.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,314
Messages
1,572,597
Members
169,592
Latest member
digitalonetick
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top