Cz550 375 H&H 20"ish barrels

My 375 21" next to pops 416 rigby
20220605_100431.jpg

we’re you able to use the orginal barrel band front sight? If yes how difficult was it to polish the ID to the larger dia?

I did use the original barrel band but it's just temporary until I get my new England barrel band in ,
I thought I could ream it and heat it up enough to swedge it but no luck so I split the bottom and soldered it on , i did this to measure my sight heights when I can sight it in that way i can get it close for the new base and front sight

Until really looking at the pictures I posted I never noticed how different our stocks were .... Just different model years maybe? Also on the 416 are those extra recoil lugs my 375 doesnt have?

Thanks for this report and discussion. I sold my 25" barrel CZ 550 and settled on a 21" barrel rifle in a different model. This reassures me that it was a reasonable decision. I would personally never go shorter, I don't like muzzle blast and balance / handling qualities while aiming is as important to me as "handiness"

I think you are talking about the cross bolts. Seem that CZ was not consistent in those. I have seen two as your Dads and on some only one and others like yours none while others varied as to placement. No one has been able to give me a logical answer as to CZs method.

i shoot a 375 taylor with caliber and a half freebore using 200,235, and 270 grain bullet in a 20" barrel with 3 port brake. blast to the side is substantial, but ahead not to bad.

it has never bothered me. the occasional tapping of my shooting glasses by the long relief scope is more concerning.

speed? 200 at 3050, 235 at 2900, 270 at 2650. it does not lose a lot for heavier bullets. recoil is not a joke though.

you gotta use powder to match the barrel IMO. 3031 for the 200 and 235. 4350 for the 270. freebore drops pressures.

BeeMaa
Was that a AHR stock? Bell and Carlson?
It came with the CZ500, so it was a B&C. AHR did a bedding job on it, filled the hole where the front sling swivel was (sling swivel moved to the barrel) and secured the rear sling swivel (because it was loose). Reality...it was an AHR by the time Wayne got done with it.

i shoot a 375 taylor with caliber and a half freebore using 200,235, and 270 grain bullet in a 20" barrel with 3 port brake. blast to the side is substantial, but ahead not to bad.

it has never bothered me. the occasional tapping of my shooting glasses by the long relief scope is more concerning.

speed? 200 at 3050, 235 at 2900, 270 at 2650. it does not lose a lot for heavier bullets. recoil is not a joke though.

you gotta use powder to match the barrel IMO. 3031 for the 200 and 235. 4350 for the 270. freebore drops pressures.
No one cares about the blast going downrange, it's the blast to the side that you call "substantial" that is of concern. Not to you of course, but to the PH, trackers and anyone else in your hunting party it is of great concern. Having a brake on a 375 caliber that weighs more than 7# is borderline and at 8# completely unnecessary on a hunting rifle.

I understand that recoil is a factor in these debates and that the Taylor cartridge is not a joke...but it's still a 375. With proper practice, you will outgrow the brake in no time.

Best of luck and welcome to AH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimProbst1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.