Sterling Davenport Rifle For Sale

chris275

Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia
Hello all,

I am selling a gorgeous rifle built by Sterling Davenport. It is built on a ‘98 Mauser action with a 3 position safety in .375 H&H. The action blends seamlessly into a beautiful exhibition grade walnut stock with ebony forend. It has a 24” match grade barrel with quarter rib, barrel band sling mount, hooded (removable) brass bead front sight and decelerator butt pad.

Mr. Davenport is known for his exquisite stock work. The hand checkering is a work of art and feels like a glove in your hand.

Also included is
20 rds 270 gr sp
36 rds 300 gr FMJ
33 pieces of once fired brass.
All Hornady factory ammo.

Price is $10,000 plus shipping (US only)

IMG_4455.jpeg
IMG_4458.jpeg
IMG_4460.jpeg
IMG_4459.jpeg
IMG_4462.jpeg
IMG_4463.jpeg
IMG_4464.jpeg
IMG_4472.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4457.jpeg
    IMG_4457.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 58
Lovely rifle! What rings or mounts have the bridges been machined for? I see its also drilled?

Haaaa. I just posted earlier today I was done buying rifles. Then this pops up. Sterling built AWESOME rifles.

Beautiful rifle!

Beautiful!

I have discussed this rifle with the owner prior to it being listed and I think this is a great buy. Built in '08 with less than 60 rounds through it. Beautiful gun as you would expect from Davenport. Every Davenport I've handled has been of the highest level. From my previous listing of my .500 Davenport, here's some history on the builder....

Sterling Davenport retired from the US Navy after 20 years’ service in 1975 at the age of 40. During his stint in the Navy, he was trained as an aviation metal smith and while stationed at Pearl Harbor, he did light gunsmith work for Honolulu Sporting Guns. Finding his work well accepted, when he retired he attended the 10-month gunsmith program at the Colorado School of Trades for Gunsmiths, graduating with a job as a gunsmith with Harry Lawson Custom Gunmaker in Arizona. During his next 20 years, Sterling showed his own work in shows such as the Safari Club and others where the talents of the American Gunmakers Guild members were displayed. It was at one of these shows that Paul Roberts of Rigby examined Davenport’s work and hired him to build bolt rifles for Rigby under the Rigby name. Sterling said that Roberts would supply the barreled actions and the wood and Davenport would take it from there. His first firearm finished for Rigby had such exquisite and fine checkering, that Roberts complained that it was not of the Rigby style. From then on, Sterling finished the stocks and sent them to London for Rigby’s checkerers to finish, which used smaller patterns with coarser checkering than the work that Davenport did. For Rigby, Sterling used BRNO actions for the magnum action and either FN or Pre-64 Model 70 actions for the standard length cartridges. He said, “The BNRO forged Magnum action was as good as it gets… the more renown Oberndorf Mauser Magnum action is really no better, just more in demand and short in supply.”

Davenport figures he only made about 60 rifles under his own name; this is truly a rare masterpiece in one of the most sought-after calibers for the magnum actions.

Lovely rifle! What rings or mounts have the bridges been machined for? I see it’s also drilled?
Hello Aaron,
It did come with unnamed QD rings for the integral mounts, but I could not get them to stay tight and I discarded them. The irons worked very well for my hunt. And yes, it is drilled and tapped but I am not sure what base it was designed for.
Respectfully,
Chris

I have discussed this rifle with the owner prior to it being listed and I think this is a great buy. Built in '08 with less than 60 rounds through it. Beautiful gun as you would expect from Davenport. Every Davenport I've handled has been of the highest level. From my previous listing of my .500 Davenport, here's some history on the builder....

Sterling Davenport retired from the US Navy after 20 years’ service in 1975 at the age of 40. During his stint in the Navy, he was trained as an aviation metal smith and while stationed at Pearl Harbor, he did light gunsmith work for Honolulu Sporting Guns. Finding his work well accepted, when he retired he attended the 10-month gunsmith program at the Colorado School of Trades for Gunsmiths, graduating with a job as a gunsmith with Harry Lawson Custom Gunmaker in Arizona. During his next 20 years, Sterling showed his own work in shows such as the Safari Club and others where the talents of the American Gunmakers Guild members were displayed. It was at one of these shows that Paul Roberts of Rigby examined Davenport’s work and hired him to build bolt rifles for Rigby under the Rigby name. Sterling said that Roberts would supply the barreled actions and the wood and Davenport would take it from there. His first firearm finished for Rigby had such exquisite and fine checkering, that Roberts complained that it was not of the Rigby style. From then on, Sterling finished the stocks and sent them to London for Rigby’s checkerers to finish, which used smaller patterns with coarser checkering than the work that Davenport did. For Rigby, Sterling used BRNO actions for the magnum action and either FN or Pre-64 Model 70 actions for the standard length cartridges. He said, “The BNRO forged Magnum action was as good as it gets… the more renown Oberndorf Mauser Magnum action is really no better, just more in demand and short in supply.”

Davenport figures he only made about 60 rifles under his own name; this is truly a rare masterpiece in one of the most sought-after calibers for the magnum actions.
Thank you for adding the additional information!
Respectfully,
Chris

Hello Aaron,
It did come with unnamed QD rings for the integral mounts, but I could not get them to stay tight and I discarded them. The irons worked very well for my hunt. And yes, it is drilled and tapped but I am not sure what base it was designed for.
Respectfully,
Chris

I believe this is a Dumoulin action. The bases, taps, and front notch looks exactly like others I have seen.

I am not an expert on bolt guns in general, but I know a lot about stocks. Many high end rifles have a stunning board on them, but it was laid out or sawn sub optimally. Not on this one. It is perfect. Just an observation........GLWS......FWB

Sterling knew how to pick out a stick . . .
I am not an expert on bolt guns in general, but I know a lot about stocks. Many high end rifles have a stunning board on them, but it was laid out or sawn sub optimally. Not on this one. It is perfect. Just an observation........GLWS......FW

IMG_7180.jpeg
IMG_7179.jpeg
IMG_7178.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly right. If I was looking to upgrade my main Africa rifle (always a 375 or 416), this would get a hard look from me...but I already know the quality having owned Davenport rifles. If I wasn't already setup, this one actually would have never made it into a public classified! It's that good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabe

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg