Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, PHASA, IPHA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
This is definitely the saddest post I have ever seen on AH.. :crying:
I wish you didn't have to do this.

Could not agree more Doc.... Sad indeed!!!

KWALATA SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2021
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.kwalata.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, PHASA, IPHA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
DOC, that would be me!

While I'm really looking forward to shooting the rifle, I have to mention that it was a pleasure meeting and working with cornhuskid. He's very knowledgeable about not only this caliber but reloading in general.

I plan to use it on a tuskless hunt next year. I was on the fence between the .404 and .416 but realized that loaded up to about 2350 fps-ish, it'll perform up to par with the .416. Sacrifices a bit of SD for more frontal diameter.

What has been your experience with the 404? Have you used it on Ele?

Sarge I have had multiple clients with 404's it's a show stopper period.!!!! Great buy.

My best always

gxsr-sarge

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC
Hunted
US, Zimbabwe, RSA
Could not agree more Doc.... Sad indeed!!!

All due respect, but it's not "sad" at all. We all have to make choices depending upon whether we are in the "peaks" or "valleys" of our lives. I've also sold rifles, pistols, shotguns and offspring (just kidding) in order to either finance or recover from hunting in Africa or other non-related life events. I recently sold a nice double rifle to pay for some of my last trip's expenses and partially finance my next one. I didn't feel sad at all - it was a transaction that I had to do at the time. I made the bloke the bought my double happy just as cornhuskid made my day by selling me his 404. It's karma...

gxsr-sarge

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC
Hunted
US, Zimbabwe, RSA
Sarge I have had multiple clients with 404's it's a show stopper period.!!!! Great buy.

My best always

Jaco,

Thanks for the input. Any advice on the 404 specifically?

35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
congrats on your new purchase sarge. You'll have to keep us posted about how your hunt with it goes.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
The original loadings were to drive a 400gr bullet to around 2150-2200fps, which is all one needs. My loads do about that. I like in my CZ, 72grs of IMR4064 behind the 400 gr TSX. I get right at 2200fps and MOA accuracy. Recoil is not at all bad with the nice pad on the CZ. Its a fairly heavy rifle too, and when you add scope and mounts, it soaks up recoil pretty well. Have fun, nice score!

buckcurtin

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
SCI NRA
Hunted
RSA/Zimbabwe
Used my Montana Rifle Company 404 on a tuskless and buff in Zim a couple years ago. Did great job although I had 2 miss fires with Norma African PH ammo. Never had a misfire with Hornady. More than adequate and recoil not all that bad. Enjoy and good luck!

gxsr-sarge

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC
Hunted
US, Zimbabwe, RSA
Used my Montana Rifle Company 404 on a tuskless and buff in Zim a couple years ago. Did great job although I had 2 miss fires with Norma African PH ammo. Never had a misfire with Hornady. More than adequate and recoil not all that bad. Enjoy and good luck!

Were the misfires "live" or during practice, sighting in , etc.??

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
im very jealous! but to be honest im glad someone picked this up... if I had seen this first I would have bought it and I cant afford it!

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamesmales

Latest profile posts

RicardoT wrote on Jan007's profile.
Hallo , ek stel belang as die 375 steeds beskikbaar is 083 511 9921
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.