CZ 550 MAGNUM in .416 Rigby

Well seems perseverance has paid off.....am surprised...mmm Well loaded one but now can't load other one....also these stocks fit me perfectly....probably why its a pussy to shoot ... :E Big Grin: :D Beers:

20240218_140015.jpg

OK found out if a take a screenshot then post that it seems to work...long way around but better than nothing
Screenshot_20240218_142819_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. Did you have to do some adjustments on the stock or it fits as it is?

It was factory fitted option..I bought it on holts auction site years ago from the unsold lots....couldn't believe the price on it..gbp 500.00 ...so snapped it up...was sent to Paul who told me it was brand new...didn't even think it had been fired..was lucky...the stock for my 500 jeffery I got from cz usa custom shop when it was running, as my 500 jeff rifle was made by them. It came with wood stock but I wanted the synthetic option as well....it needed a little bit of sanding to fit...can't have been difficult as I manged to do it... :E Big Grin:

It was factory fitted option..I bought it on holts auction site years ago from the unsold lots....couldn't believe the price on it..gbp 500.00 ...so snapped it up...was sent to Paul who told me it was brand new...didn't even think it had been fired..was lucky...the stock for my 500 jeffery I got from cz usa custom shop when it was running, as my 500 jeff rifle was made by them. It came with wood stock but I wanted the synthetic option as well....it needed a little bit of sanding to fit...can't have been difficult as I manged to do it... :E Big Grin:
Thanks (y):D Beers:

Well seems perseverance has paid off.....am surprised...mmm Well loaded one but now can't load other one....also these stocks fit me perfectly....probably why its a pussy to shoot ... :E Big Grin: :D Beers:

View attachment 588042

OK found out if a take a screenshot then post that it seems to work...long way around but better than nothing
View attachment 588056
I don't want to be picky but....did you have any problems when shooting the rifle with front sling swivel stud on the stock?

I don't want to be picky but....did you have any problems when shooting the rifle with front sling swivel stud on the stock?

No it's a long way forward from your hand....hadn't even noticed it till you mentioned it...had that issue many many years ago on a brno ...thought had broken my finger as it actually bent the quick release swivel on the sling....I have just checked and even with my hand uncomfortably far forward my fingers are around 2 inches from the stud...holding it how I do probably 4 inches or more....it unscrews so now you have put it in my mind I might get around to doing that....but even on my 500 jeff I haven't noticed it being there....so don't think it's an issue..but as said can always remove it...I don't like slings so removing not an issue to me

That was 2 shots with the iron sights at 50 yards off the bonnet of the cruiser...am happy with it :A Thumbs Up: ...you will have fun with it....and let me know when you want to use it and will sort something for you (y):D Beers: also I had the barrel shortened to 22 inches as don't like long barrels

Screenshot_20240218_150550_Photos.jpg

No it's a long way forward from your hand....hadn't even noticed it till you mentioned it...had that issue many many years ago on a brno ...thought had broken my finger as it actually bent the quick release swivel on the sling....I have just checked and even with my hand uncomfortably far forward my fingers are around 2 inches from the stud...holding it how I do probably 4 inches or more....it unscrews so now you have put it in my mind I might get around to doing that....but even on my 500 jeff I haven't noticed it being there....so don't think it's an issue..but as said can always remove it...I don't like slings so removing not an issue to me
If shooting 500 jeff doesn't have an effect on it, probably neither will 416 Rigby. Thanks for pictures.

That was 2 shots with the iron sights at 50 yards off the bonnet of the cruiser...am happy with it :A Thumbs Up: ...you will have fun with it....and let me know when you want to use it and will sort something for you (y):D Beers: also I had the barrel shortened to 22 inches as don't like long barrels

View attachment 588059
Wow....good accuracy for such a big bore caliber :D Beers:

The gentleman from whom I will buy it works in Belgium. He will be back at the end of March and I will pick up this rifle then. I am impatient....can't wait :A Thumbs Up: I'll upload some pics of the new queen of my gun safes.

Please, anybody can help with some recipes for reloading? Can I gain - 400gr bullet with velocity around 2,400 ft/s???? Thanks a lot.
I suggest checking the Hodgdon reloading data website, Most loads are above 2400 f/s with Hodgdon or IMR powders.

Thats a nice-looking rifle, with some work done to it, as the bolt and magazine follower is jeweled. Should be nice and smooth feeding.

Let us know a range report after you get it.

Thank you for your advice and useful information. After your supportive comments I have definitely decided to buy it and give it some of the "treatments" you recommended. I've already read a lot of pros and cons about CZ 550 rifles, but with some of the modifications you recommended, I think they are good rifles at a reasonable price. The reason I asked for your help on this forum is because I want to have first hand information, from people who use them in real life. Thank you again and I am open to your further comments and insights.

View attachment 588042

View attachment 588056
Did you do additional glass bedding before installing the Bell & Carlson composite stock?

I have one, and I prefer the European stock, especially when shooting a scope.

I think the straight sock has more "felt" recoil, but might be better for iron sights to get off a faster second shot..

What's the fastest the Rigby 416 pushes the 400 or 410 bullet? I have a friend that is thinking about getting one.

What do you mean by fastest?....2400fps with 400 grn bullet is all you need...Will give you all the penetration you will need on everything from elephant down....and fine to shoot.. you start trying to push up the velocity and it becomes unpleasant to shoot...seem to recall why some don't like it...but all down to upping the velocity when it's not needed.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamebaidoithuong0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.