CZ 550 9.3x62, barrel mounted recoil lug, and B&C stock fit Qs

that is a bummer

I talked to the folks at Bell and Carlson - they indicate the recoil lug is supposed to bottom-out on the aluminum bedding block (per the original CZ design specs).

They state I am welcome to return it, but suggested I bed the recoil lug using just a spot of bedding material. No guarantees that this will cure the accuracy issue, however. And of course once the stock is modified, it cannot be returned.

Has anyone done this (bedded the recoil lug area on a B&C stock)?

Pic of recoil lug area per Bell and Carlson:
image0 B_C Lug Pic.jpg

Pic provided by Bell and Carlson showing recoil lug / stock area.

To update this thread I did what Bell & Carlson suggested and bedded the recoil lug area. (I also added just a little Devcon 10110 at the receiver screw areas since there appeared to be a little extra space there).

I saw some small improvement in group sizes, but No Joy for the most part.

So...
I came back and bedded the rear of the barrel (not letting the epoxy touch the front of the receiver), and also added a barrel/forearm pressure point - just behind the front sling swivel.

Results are now looking very good. First out yesterday, starting with a clean barrel, and things were looking promising on paper at 100M. At 12 rounds it seemed like it was still settling in, so with temps rising and the range getting a little crowded, I called it a day.

Left it dirty and back out early this morning shooting freshly painted steel at 219 (my Zero distance), 225 and 325 Yards. It's now trying to put the first two shots in the same hole :) with 3 shot groups running sub MOA. I did have one unexplained flyer (out of another 12 shots fired), but it was not horrible.

3 at 325 Yds from the bench did 2 3/4" (0.8 MOA) holding 1 mil-dot high. (Optic is a NF 2.5-10x42 with the old style hollow mil-dot reticle. I really like this reticle.)
Range Shots 9.3x62 325 YDs after Bbl Bedded.jpeg

Just my 2 cents, but in all my fiddling with loads for the 9.3x62 I have not had any luck with the light bullets grouping very well.
But I believe a hunting rifle only needs to be MOA, in field conditions most can not hold that!
Good Luck
Pat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg