Customs Gun Registration

cbvanb

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Canada
I became curious the other day after speaking with my Africa hunting partner and I have a question. When we register guns with US Customs in Tucson they take our ID ( drivers license) and everything is done on a computer. My buddy registers his guns at Atlanta airport and they still fill out the forms by hand. Are those records computerized, or is our proximity to the border the reason why the procedure is more involved here?

Here is South Dakota the agent still does them by hand. No drivers license needed.

I have had it done three times and it is all by hand. They checked my DL just to make sure I was who I said I was.

Ditto, Jim P.
In NV I have to fill out the 4457 by hand and show my DL. I have the agent make me a copy so it would show the stamp. I found out the almost hard way to always have a copy of all my paperwork. On my first trip to Africa the agent at Rifle Permits transposed one digit in the serial number of one of my rifles on the SAPS form. The cop was going to confiscate my gun but I showed him my copy and rectified that problem. ALWAYS HAVE A COPY OF ALL YOUR PAPERWORK.

I have had it done three times and it is all by hand. They checked my DL just to make sure I was who I said I was.

Yep. Just did mine today at my local field office. Nothing to it really. They took my passport and DL, checked the S/N's on the rifles and scopes and said I'm good to go. While I was there I asked them about registering a bow as my buddy is coming with me with his. He said it's better to be safe than sorry.

I’ve never seen a computer version other than a pdf that’s filled out then print and take it in. At Ted Stevens it’s pretty empty in the office so never an issue. And always make copies of everything. I even put copies in my luggage like deployment orders. You never know where you bags will end up.

Ditto in Columbus Ohio

I’m going to take a drive over to the airport and ask Customs about it. It may just be they fill out the form with a computer and don’t log it anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg