rifletuner

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Zambia, Namibia, Australia, America, New Caledonia
Its been discussed on the forum before, but we still seem to have a very limited selection of low power scopes with eye relief that is suitable for the heavy recoiling rifles. Ideally I would like a low power 1-4 or 1-6 variable that will handle recoil, has a German no4 reticle and 4-5" of eye relief. Euro glass and illumination of the reticle would be a bonus. I cant find much on the market today that meets this criteria. Anyone have any suggestions?

3 options, three price points:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 7.16.47 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 7.16.47 AM.png
    839.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 7.17.01 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 7.17.01 AM.png
    799.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 7.17.08 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 7.17.08 AM.png
    390.9 KB · Views: 123
The field appears to be narrowing for a "standard" hunting scope. The norm for scopes now is huge turrets, lots of power, and now some even have electronics for ballistic data and checking your Social Media accounts. :LOL:

From lowest to highest price points, look at Leupold, Trijicon, Meopta, Leica and Swarovski. I have now or have used all of those and they all work well.

Also watch the classifieds and dealer promotions on AH. You can find some great deals on optics here.

Safe shooting

3 options, three price points:

Unfortunately those options illustrate my point, as none have the eye relief I am looking for.

I actually bought one of the Optica 6 and was very excited to mount it on my 9.3x64. But when I tried to use it I found the power zoom knob is so over size that the bolt handle would not clear the scope. When I emailed the store about it, their advise was to use higher mounts, which is a totally useless answer.

Adding some photos that illustrate the problem with the optica 6

unnamed-17.jpg
unnamed-35.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately those options illustrate my point, as none have the eye relief I am looking for.

I actually bought one of the Optica 6 and was very excited to mount it on my 9.3x64. But when I tried to use it I found the power zoom knob is so over size that the bolt handle would not clear the scope. When I emailed the store about it, their advise was to use higher mounts, which is a totally useless answer.

I recommended those as they have 3.5-3.75” eye relief which is the closest I found to your request besides the Leupold at 3.8. (The old Swarovski EE has the eye relief, and you can occasionally find them used).

I understand the issues with the Optika 6. I don’t use the throw lever, and have medium height rings on mine for my 416.

Good luck, with your search.

Adding some photos that illustrate the problem with the optica 6

View attachment 559147View attachment 559148
All the unnecessary features that have been added to scopes the last 10 years really make me angry. They use to be an option. Now they are almost the only option. I’m not sure why tough simple scopes aren’t still available or more in demand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24i has an eye relief of 90 mm / 3.5 inch

I bought one a week ago and took it to the shooting range for the first time this morning.

In my search for a new driven hunt rifle scope, I did not come across any model with a longer eye relief than 95 mm / 3.7 inch.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 8.59.24 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 8.59.24 AM.png
    477.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
All the unnecessary features that have been added to scopes the last 10 years really make me angry. They use to be an option. Now they are almost the only option. I’m not sure why tough simple scopes aren’t still available or more in demand.
The 3 gun crowd has taken over the 1-6 market. There is probably 20-30 of those shooters to one dangerous game hunter.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 8.59.48 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 8.59.48 AM.png
    645.1 KB · Views: 83
I would throw the Trijicon Accupoint TR24 1-4 out there too. No complicated reticle or battery yet an excellent low light option for those who like that.

I have the Leupold VX6-HD 1-6X24 Firedot on my 416 Rigby Big Game and it works great. I especially like that the red dot reticle works like a RMR sight when the scope is cranked down to 1. Like shooting with iron sights.
I have the same scope that was customized by the Leupold shop to include the German #4 reticle and a custom illumination dial that is similar to the Zeiss illumiation control. It's mounted on my Buehler Arms .404 Jeffery and functioned perfectly on my last hunt in TZ. Cost about $1.8K

This has been a problem noted on the Optika 6 range. Glad I didn’t buy one now ! However I do own an R2 1,7-10x42 with an illuminated reticle and it is superb.
”use higher mounts “ is a pretty pathetic response.

The 3 gun crowd has taken over the 1-6 market. There is probably 20-30 of those shooters to one dangerous game hunter.

I’d guess that ratio is closer to 100:1 when you consider the black rifle crowd that doesn’t compete or shoot the other 2 guns… but loves to spend time at the range with their muzzle braked 556, “precision” ARs, shooting steel cased 55gr ammo :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomaineBar

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.