Critically Important Notice on Shipping Elephant, Leopard, Crocodile, Argali Sheep and White Rhino t

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Critically Important Notice on Shipping Elephant, Leopard, Crocodile, Argali Sheep and White Rhino to US Clients

USFWS has been seizing Elephant tusks, bones, feet and ear leather maps that have been "worked or altered". Alteration or worked special permit trophies have been and could be considered as "personal items" and not hunting trophies which can change the Appendix 11 legal import status.

Seizures include tusks that have chains added in Africa for hanging or carved and scrimshawed tusks and leg bones, foot stools etc

The advice I would give to hunters is to not have any overseas work done to any Elephant parts or Leopard or any special CITIES or USFWS import permit species. The safe solution is clients should only ship skins raw, special permit species should not even be tanned or mounted, an overzealous USFWS agent could interpret those tanned or have had any type of taxidermy performed to be "altered or worked".

These seizures were supported in a recent US federal court ruling. The clients would be free to have the work done on tusks, skins tanned etc... once the trophies are cleared in the US.

I would personally inspect the Elephant/Leopard skins etc to make sure they are properly tagged with CITIES and regional hunting tags. The client export paper work should be sent to the US import broker for their review and the shipment sent ONLY when the export paper work has been OK'ed by the US import broker.

USWFS has adopted a ZERO tolerance on improper documentation and the ship can be seized and destroyed as contraband. USFWS is doing so with alarming regularity. If seizures do occur the problem is back in your lap. Watch export like a hawk, it is just part of doing the safari business these days!

Source: Jack Atcheson & Sons, Inc.

Thanks Jerome for the heads up.

USFWS must have been bought out by Google.
I did not see the IPO....

Sad for the folks with trophies in process already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18whlsrolin

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross