SkullKeeper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Tanzania, Zambia
I just took 2 cold shots with not so great visibility due to cloud cover and target being in the woods. It was a little difficult distinguishing target features specifically without direct sunlight (real thing should be way more distinguishable). I need opinions on shot placement please. I have my own critique but I’d like to hear the masses. Shot distance was 57 yards standing off of sticks.
5D45377D-0B09-4043-AF37-F1ED92192E95.jpeg

Both shots can be slightly further back and the right spine shot needs to be in the centre using premium expanding bullets

Both shots can be slightly further back and the right spine shot needs to be in the centre using premium expanding bullets
I thought the brain shot pretty decent but you’re right (needs to be a bit further back) I think the spine shot should’ve been about 2 inches right and 1 inch higher. I will be using North Fork softs.

I thought the brain shot pretty decent but you’re right (needs to be a bit further back) I think the spine shot should’ve been about 2 inches right and 1 inch higher. I will be using North Fork softs.
That is about spot on....great bullet for the job....
Second shot should be heart lung area again in the middle of the depth of the body

That is about spot on....great bullet for the job....
Second shot should be heart lung area again in the middle of the depth of the body
Thank you for the advice. It’s going to be a good challenge using my double rifle.

Thank you for the advice. It’s going to be a good challenge using my double rifle.
Just be patient and dont take the shot if you are not completely comfortable with it...crocodile hunting is about exact shot placement.
Good luck....enjoy

I have nothing to offer as far as shots, never having seriously looked into croc... but that target made me smile. We must shop at the same target store. My similar kudu was instrumental in the final days of my prep. And I wound up killing two. May your terminal end of your hunt end successfully as well.

All good advice. The most important part of the shot is your own brain and the confidence from your gun and practice. The more you practice and the more confidence you have in your own shot the easier it will get. Good luck!

I have nothing to offer as far as shots, never having seriously looked into croc... but that target made me smile. We must shop at the same target store. My similar kudu was instrumental in the final days of my prep. And I wound up killing two. May your terminal end of your hunt end successfully as well.
Thank you sir ...and there’s nothing like a homemade target ! Lol

Nice target, but you will have much better visual aiming clues on the real deal. I just shot a nice croc in SA and my shot placement using your target was behind the smile one inch right of your bullet and 2 inches higher. I used a 270 gn CEB Safari Raptor bullet out of my 375 H&H.

1632314008073.jpeg

This was my shot at 90 yards. You can see the croc to the right of the dead tree over my left shoulder. My PH told me to shoot 3-4” behind the “smile” half way up and down. 2nd shot break the front shoulders. 3rd shot break the hips. I followed his orders, but I wasted the second two shots. The first was all that was needed.
One of, if not my favorite hunt! As IVW eluded to, it’s the most accurate shot required in Africa.
Oh you’re going the have a grand time hunting croc! Envious!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,