Crate fees

Fire652

AH veteran
Joined
Sep 7, 2016
Messages
170
Reaction score
170
Location
Zanesville, oh
Media
30
Hunting reports
Africa
3
USA/Canada
1
Mex/S.Amer
1
Member of
P&y, nwtf
so my crate should be ready to ship soon but I can’t get a wuote yet. How much does it cost to ship the crate from South Africa to Chicago. Thanks in advance
 
All depends on volumetric weight.
 
All depends on volumetric weight.

Hello Fire652,

Exactly what BRICKBURN stated... The shipping cost can only be determined when the crate is sealed up, measured, and put on the scales. They determine shipping cost by a formula combining the size, and weight of the crate. The shipping cost is also a variable than can often fluctuate even by the day if there is a spike in fuel costs... If You are using Trophy Pro SA, I can assure you that Johan will pack your crate as efficiently as possible utilizing every square inch of capacity.... They usually have 2 or 3 different options for shipping companies, and will likely recommend the one that offers the best combination the earliest shipping date and price at the time.
 
I had two impala shoulder mounts, a kudu shoulder mount, 1 warthog euro, 1 zebra rug, 1 blesbok skin, 1 large wooden carving of Africa with inlaid skins (48" tall, 36" wide, 1.5" thick). My shipping in 2017 was $1200 from Limpopo to Coppersmith in Elk Grove, IL. that did not include the Coppersmith fees.
 
I just had 225 lb crate (eland, sable, roan, wildebeest, bushpig, badger, klipspringer, 2 springboks) shipped from Joberg to Houston for $750, straight shipping no associated import fees
 
Congrats on your successful hunt! We would love to help bring your trophies home for you. Sent you a PM with some estimates. Please feel free to call me if you have any questions!

Tom
 
I just had 225 lb crate (eland, sable, roan, wildebeest, bushpig, badger, klipspringer, 2 springboks) shipped from Joberg to Houston for $750, straight shipping no associated import fees

Was that the total cost with all fees, insurance, etc. and when was the shipment? If that includes everything, you got a sweet deal.
 
These are costs from a 2016 Eastern Cape RSA hunt, using a Port Elizabeth taxidermist for dip, pack and crating. I used Coppersmith to handle everything.

Cost for dip & pack, crate, etc 9 PG animals (kudu x 2, nyala x2, impala x 2, blesbok, eland, zebra) $1400
(104 kg)

Cost to ship from RSA to Seattle: $1100

Cost to clear, transfer, store, paperwork, etc: $477

Cost to ground ship to tannery in Montana: $425
 
Was that the total cost with all fees, insurance, etc. and when was the shipment? If that includes everything, you got a sweet deal.

The $750 covered the fright shipping and $10k in insurance. It was shipped out of Joberg to Houston second week of Jan 2019 on Delta-KLM. These are the only shipping charges I'm aware. There are misc "screw you fees" with the importer and dip and pack but best I can tell those were my actual shipping costs.
On a sour side note, Delta then promptly lost my paperwork which resulted in delays and extra storage fees, which I am currently filing a claim for reimbursement ( yeah I know fat chance, but i have documentation to show Delta admitted to messing it up).
 
Figured I'd update this with a shipping invoice I just received today.

Shipping from Limpopo to Chicago O'hare.

Cost: $3,246.35

Contents:
2 Kudu wall pedestal
2 Impala wall pedestal
2 Blue Wildebeest wall pedestal
1 Zebra wall pedestal
1 Waterbuck wall pedestal
1 Black Wildesbeest wall pedestal
1 Gemsbok wall pedestal
1 Impala Skull on shield
1 Springbuck skull on shield
1 Springbuck backskin
1 Impala backskin

Size crate: 97"x51.5"x51.5"
Actual weight: 639lbs
Volumetric weight: 1549lbs
 
so my crate should be ready to ship soon but I can’t get a wuote yet. How much does it cost to ship the crate from South Africa to Chicago. Thanks in advance
Lots. Its always more than you expect.
 
Well just found out that delta cargo is not accepting anymore freight into Atlanta due to a backlog of freight at the airport. Anyone have any idea when this backlog will clear up
 
Well just found out that delta cargo is not accepting anymore freight into Atlanta due to a backlog of freight at the airport. Anyone have any idea when this backlog will clear up
Kind of hard to say... It could be a few days or it could be a couple weeks given when ive seen this in the past.
 
Well just found out that delta cargo is not accepting anymore freight into Atlanta due to a backlog of freight at the airport. Anyone have any idea when this backlog will clear up

I'm not sure if you are using an importer, but man hopefully Delta doesn't lose your paperwork like they did mine 2 months ago. I'm still waiting to hear back on my status of supporting a storage fee claim with Delta. :mad:
 
I'm not sure if you are using an importer, but man hopefully Delta doesn't lose your paperwork like they did mine 2 months ago. I'm still waiting to hear back on my status of supporting a storage fee claim with Delta. :mad:
I am using coppersmith.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,401
Messages
1,575,123
Members
170,223
Latest member
Molly91615
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top