Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
Question for all the CPAP users like myself out there. What portable battery supply (brand) have you been using and are you satisfied with the performance?
Seems like the batteries I've looked into are listing the usage hours being xyz without using the humidifier/hose heater but the buyers reviews are saying to count on roughly half the projected manufacturer's usage table.
I've been looking over the options and they are numerous.

Appreciate any input on the subject.

I have two Medistrom Pilot-24 Lite batteries. Plus I take a Travel CPAP (Resmed Air Mini) instead of my bigger home unit. I have used the batteries with the bigger unit a time or two but did not use the humidifier. Worked fine.

I use the HumidX F20 inserts that snap into my cushion. Those also work well.

Initial battery was bought in case of power outages about 5 years ago. Then added a second and took to Africa in 2021 and this last June. Load shedding this year had me using batteries instead of AC. They probably would go 10 hours or so each. Prob more when new.

I have two patients in my practice who use 518W Jeckery battery packs on their CPAPs whilst hunting or camping. They get 4-5 nights on a full charge.

If a member here ever wants to know if he can get spares for a CPAP or other medical device whilst hunting here, contact me in advance and I can find out from the wholesalers.

I have two patients in my practice who use 518W Jeckery battery packs on their CPAPs whilst hunting or camping. They get 4-5 nights on a full charge.

If a member here ever wants to know if he can get spares for a CPAP or other medical device whilst hunting here, contact me in advance and I can find out from the wholesalers.

I only get one night on my battery. I need to check into those units.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 8.05.40 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 8.05.40 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Following

For my resmed airsense 10, I use the resmed branded model and it works fine getting you through two nights without a humidifier. I don't always use one anyway so it's not a big deal for me. Never tried going longer than that. My settings are 5-15 and I don't have a bunch of obstructions throughout the night so my machine isn't working as hard as it could be. I upgraded to the airsense 11 recently and I haven't seen a cable attachment to work with it yet. Not sure what is going to happen there so I've kept the old machine just to take to Africa so I can use it. With all the load shedding issues in South Africa, I wouldn't go without a battery backup with all the issues we had in June because of the load shedding. I was just happy I had my backup. My dad has the medistrom 24 battery and it works well for his machine. If you go to any cpap supply shop online, pick one that works with your machine and make sure it's small enough but also as large as possible to be allowed on a plane. Skip the humidifier if at all possible and charge it as much as you can when you have power. Other option is to use it only when you get woken up by someone smothering you with a pillow because the power went out. You'll get more hours out of it that way as well.

On a recent hunt, the camp expectation was 2-3 hours per day generator use and nightly temps in the 40s. I purchased 4 Freedom V2 batteries for the trip. Each night, the consumption of one battery was between 50-60%. The 2-3 hours of generator use fully recharged for the following night. So, in this case, I brought four when only one was needed. With that said, I don't think I would travel with less than two for similar expectations.

I did recalibrate for non use of humidifier/heater and didn't notice too much of a difference in sleep. This might be something you should check before your trip.

I was extremely satisfied with Freedom V2 and would purchase again. (if I didn't already have 4!!)

On a recent hunt, the camp expectation was 2-3 hours per day generator use and nightly temps in the 40s. I purchased 4 Freedom V2 batteries for the trip. Each night, the consumption of one battery was between 50-60%. The 2-3 hours of generator use fully recharged for the following night. So, in this case, I brought four when only one was needed. With that said, I don't think I would travel with less than two for similar expectations.

I did recalibrate for non use of humidifier/heater and didn't notice too much of a difference in sleep. This might be something you should check before your trip.

I was extremely satisfied with Freedom V2 and would purchase again. (if I didn't already have 4!!)
I looked at the Freedom lineup the other day and I think that them and Medistrom are both solid options.
Whichever I end up with Im going to grab 2 and might snag a solar charger just to have onhand.

Question from a non CPAP user…. Is there anyway to quiet them?

On a fishing trip I got stuck in a hotel room with a buddy who has one and it made this annoying electric “seeeeee saaaaw” noise all night long and kept me awake.

On a fishing trip I got stuck in a hotel room with a buddy who has one and it made this annoying electric “seeeeee saaaaw” noise all night long and kept me awake.
I have a Dreamstation and feel its very quiet or atleast thats what my wife informs me and she is a VERY light sleeper.
If the mask becomes unsealed during the middle of the night I've been told it sounds like Darthvader having a stroke and I get woken up pretty quick.

Sounds like a defective CPAP or poor mask seal. Both my Airsense 10 and Air Mini travel units are very quite. If I get noise from a poor seal it usually means it's time to switch to a new mask (aka: cushion).

That sounds like a poor mask seal.

An ENT surgeon might be the best to chime in here, but mostly when someone suffers from obstructive sleep apnea it is not going to go away on its own. If obesity is the main reason for the soft tissue to obstruct the pharynx then weight loss will help to reduce it. I think because most people feel so much better from the restorative sleep they get when on CPAP, they are quite reluctant to go off of it again.

Most units are in the 26-28db range, so if anyone is being woken up because of crazy noises, then something is definitely wrong.

@shootist~ , how does the air mini breathe compared to the airsense? I've been contemplating buying one but all of the other travel ones I have tried breathe like crap so I just lug around the full size airsense whenever I travel. I have now used the 9, 10 and 11 and they are fantastic and easy to breathe through with their excellent exhale relief function they have. I don't know how to explain it but the 11 doesn't seem to push as much air volume so it does breathe a tiny bit different. It could just be my machine too though. If the mini functions similar without needing to learn to breathe with again, then I am going to buy one.

@Mike B.
I see very little difference in the Air Mini and the Airsense 10, and sleep the same with either. I use the same cushion and frame with both, but the Mini does use a proprietary (smaller diameter) hose and different elbow. I think the Air Mini elbow also allows more air to escape, and is possibly a hair louder, but not enough to bother me or my wife.

FWIW, I use my (larger) Airsense 10 travel bag for the Mini which allows me to pack two of everything, including the two travel batteries. The hoses for the Mini are 6' Vs 10' for my home unit which work better for travel. And as mentioned, I like the HumidX inserts that help retain some moisture since the travel unit does not have a humidifier.

On the travel CPAP, you will still need a prescription so obviously you need to check with your doctor or CNP. My CNP was in favor of the Air Mini (and Resmed in general) and added it to my Rx, no issues.

Should be quiet as answered above.

I have a Dreamstation and feel its very quiet or atleast thats what my wife informs me and she is a VERY light sleeper.
If the mask becomes unsealed during the middle of the night I've been told it sounds like Darthvader having a stroke and I get woken up pretty quick.

I have the Dream station . It's bulky for travel but I can run it on a 12 volt lighter/accessory socket with an $80 lead.
That works for me with a deep cycle battery in my vehicle so I can camp or connect to the caravan.
Following thread as I may need a travel machine and battery sometime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildwillalaska

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.