CONGO: Successful Self-guided Forest Buffalo, & A Surprise!

adzhoo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am resident both in Panama and the Congo where I grew up. My mom is still living in Pointe-Noire so I visit her every year, and go hunting, car and rifles are here, and she and some friends take care of the license renewal in due time..
I know the hunting territory, the people, the roads… that’s how it is possible to do it by myself.
We found a herd of 4 early morning last week in the plains, near a lake.
IMG_2128.jpg

I always try and take pictures before shooting.. I found it helps me be much more calm and “clinical” in my shot decision thereafter..
Long story short, I confirm with the tracker which one is the big male, and take it.
The first bullet will take the heart and lungs. I immediately follow up with another bullet in the same area.. they bolt, and charge in our direction. The shots were taken at around 120m. There was no way to cross the dried lake and get closer.
3rd shot… aiming at the head of the charging wounded one. Not always easy to know which is which in such mayhem but this time, yes.. the .375 cracks and soon enough, I can see the buffalo reacting as if it had hit a wall.. the 3 others turned away and disappeared. I remember taking a 4th shot on the buffalo, still standing but not moving. Game over

IMG_2145.jpg

The bump under the skin was a local “brenneke” that hadn’t penetrated..

Pretty red buffalo, thank you so much for sharing this story!!!

When inspecting the buffalo, I found that the first 2 bullets had gone done a perfect job, one going through.
IMG_2152.jpg

But I couldn’t understand the ear shot!
IMG_2394.jpg

Because it looked to me like an exit wound but i couldn’t see any entry. And given the reaction of the buffalo on that bullet, as if it had crashed on a wall, it was puzzling.
But i could not understand so I concluded falsely that the bullet had entered here and out. Until today when I inspected the skull I was boiling..
IMG_2398.jpg

I am resident both in Panama and the Congo where I grew up. My mom is still living in Pointe-Noire so I visit her every year, and go hunting, car and rifles are here, and she and some friends take care of the license renewal in due time..
I know the hunting territory, the people, the roads… that’s how it is possible to do it by myself.
We found a herd of 4 early morning last week in the plains, near a lake.
View attachment 547933
I always try and take pictures before shooting.. I found it helps me be much more calm and “clinical” in my shot decision thereafter..
Long story short, I confirm with the tracker which one is the big male, and take it.
The first bullet will take the heart and lungs. I immediately follow up with another bullet in the same area.. they bolt, and charge in our direction. The shots were taken at around 120m. There was no way to cross the dried lake and get closer.
3rd shot… aiming at the head of the charging wounded one. Not always easy to know which is which in such mayhem but this time, yes.. the .375 cracks and soon enough, I can see the buffalo reacting as if it had hit a wall.. the 3 others turned away and disappeared. I remember taking a 4th shot on the buffalo, still standing but not moving. Game over

View attachment 547935
The bump under the skin was a local “brenneke” that hadn’t penetrated..
Thanks for sharing. Self guided in a wild area. I’m not ashamed to say I’m jealous of that experience.

I couldn’t believe it, but it suddenly made more sense.
So i looked closer at some pictures I took and…
IMG_2395.jpg

Crazy enough I finally found a bullet entry on the other side of the head..

I hadn’t noticed it!! Even when skinning the head.

Mystery solved! It explained the shock, the frozen buffalo after that shot and what I had lived and observed.. but till you have proof, you doubt!

IMG_2148.jpg

Now it makes all the sense of the world, and being my birthday today, finding out this made it special!!!

Thanks for reading

Nice buff and great story, thanks for sharing !

What an experience. Thanks for sharing! and Happy B-Day

Congrats for this buffalo and amazing story

Exellent story and fascinating region, not heard much about in hunting

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Very cool, thanks for sharing with us!! I've had similar experiences trying to figure out where bullets went in and out, sometimes it takes some investigation. Glad you got to the bottom of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded Hunter

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.