Combat boots for hunting?

Welcome to the forum! As an ex-grunt I have put many miles on my dogs with jungle boots and never complained too much, but I also was drawing enlisted salary and could not afford upgrades until I was E4. I was moving a few years ago and found my Cochran Jump Boots and had to slip them "comfy" boots on for old time sake. They were worst than I ever remembered and I put my red wings back on immediately. Lol. I recommend walking in them a bit since its been 12 years since you had the pleasure of Uncle Sams foot wear. But if they still feel fine, wear em, there are no fashion police in the bush.
Cheers,
Cody

It's actually funny that you say that. When I went through my closet to find them last night I was thinking "man, I wore these just the other day, how bad can it be right?" Well I still don't have an answer for that because out of habit I put on my regular shoes this morning instead of them, but it's pretty insane to think that "just the other day" has been 12 years ago. Time is strange that way.

I logged a lot of miles in my combat boots as a young man and once they where broken in and my feet toughened up everything was fine, but the first two or three weeks where best described as torturer. It's been 20 years since I wore combat boots these days I prefer Red Wings, I manage construction and wear my work boots 6 days a week, when I leave for my safari in August I'll have 9 month of daily wear on my current pair of boots. I'd put your old boots on and go for a 2-3 mile hike and see how the feel before you decide to buy new boots. Sore feet we do more to limit your hunt than anything else except chaffing and that's an entirely different topic.

Good luck and welcome to AH

If youre a veteran, or law enforcement, or "friend of the industry" (camp guide, PH, etc..) you are eligible for the "Pro Deal" that Merrell offers online.

I haven't bought anything from them for a while.. but I usually pick up a pair of hiking boots once every couple of years..

Typically you get a 25-50% discount off of retail for being a member...

Great boots for a great price.. http://www.merrell.com/US/en/pro

Thanks again on these, they accepted my application so I think I'll be heading out with my old mill boots and then picking up a pair of these as the "secondaries". Thank you all for your tips, I appreciate it!

Eventually_Africa post: 268440 said:
Thanks again on these, they accepted my application so I think I'll be heading out with my old mill boots and then picking up a pair of these as the "secondaries". Thank you all for your tips, I appreciate it!
Make sure to tell us how it goes on your trip, and ask other questions when they come around. Good luck!

I've hunted in desert boots in Africa. They are fine. The sole is made of hard material so it lasts and/or doesn't mark the barracks floor . That makes them a little noisier and perhaps a bit heavier than a softer sole. Most of being quiet is more about situational awareness and not tripping over stuff than what the sole of you boots is made of. If you walk in the field like a doofus it doesn't matter what you are wearing. If your bushcraft is excellent then it could matter for the last 5%.

Combat boots are made for combat and work for hunting. Hunting boots are made for hunting and work a little better but broken in and comfortable is the main thing. But don't overdo it with some heavy mountaineering boot or heavy construction work boots.

Shoes are a really bad idea unless you like sand, thorns, and grass seeds in your shoes.

Awesome. Glad it helped.

The Oakley Standard Issue (SI) program is equally good if not better.. roughly 50% off all of their footwear, eyewear, packs, etc.. for retired military, actively serving military, cops, firefighters, etc..

A nice boot and not pricey cabela's under armour bozeman speed freak $150.00 a good all-around hunting boot. Good luck on your hunt.

Awesome. Glad it helped.

The Oakley Standard Issue (SI) program is equally good if not better.. roughly 50% off all of their footwear, eyewear, packs, etc.. for retired military, actively serving military, cops, firefighters, etc..

Oh well I'm glad I didn't order yet, I'll go over and take a look there as well, thank you! Also thank you to everyone who responded, I really appreciate the input!

First, welcome and thanks for asking questions. (1) do they fit and are comfortable? Then, are they quiet and broke in? Then, depending on where and when you are going, are they cool/water resistant, etc? Is there enough life left in them to go 12 - 14 miles per day if necessary, if so, you are ready. If not, next to your gun and optics, your boots are the most important gear you will use. if you want a new pair, get them soon and break them in. I always take 2 pair when I go, you can trade off or just feel different.
We got a pair of light "swat team" boots $65 mail order. Worked great for two trips and plenty of walking..Also used in ear
ly Wyo. hunts and they still look almost new.No need to spend a fortune or take a ton of clothes.

Hey there! So lets see. They are fairly comfortable, if I remember right the back leather is kind of stiff and rubs my ankle a little, but just a very little and I'm pretty sure thick socks would take care of that. They are defiantly broken in but I have tinnitus and so how "quiet" something is can be hard for me to judge. I mean...I can hear myself walking, but then I can always here myself walking so that's no help lol. They don't squeak or anything if that's what you mean though. I'm going to South Africa, hopefully in August 2017, I have no earthly idea if they are water resistant because I didn't encounter a lot of standing water to test them in...I would guess no because of the mesh, but maybe? I'm really uninformed here, I'm sorry. I'd say they have life left in them, but again I've been known to duct-tape life back into shoes I really liked before so my perception might be skewed lol. I will say they are not duck-tape ready though, just a bit banged up and some of the mesh has come undone so they have 1 hole there, about nickle size I'd guess.
Frankly I might end up going with them anyway because I'm not sure I can afford $220.00 boots, even if they are awesome, so if anyone has any good tips on some cheaper alternatives I'd love to hear about it. If not, but you have a good insole that I could stick in these that would also work. Again, thanks in advance!

I wore Cabelas boots for years... most comfortable things I had. You don't need insulated boots so anything else is just fine! Just be comfortable!

I Africa, I have always worn light hiking shoes with gaiters.

You may have to put in 10 km of walking in hot weather, then comfort is the most important feature.

Thank you all for the replies! I'll be looking at several pairs that were mentioned on here! Can anyone tell me if they prefer "over the ankle" boots vs "up to the ankle" boots? Also would you say full leather, or would that get too hot so mesh and leather combo would work best? Again, thank you all!

Caution with mesh- opportunity for seeds and prickly crap to get in.

I used Cabela's Meindl uninsulated Ultralight Hunter boots. They worked well enough and will last another trip or two. I would have like to try a pair of the Lowa Zephyr high, but I could not find them to try them, where as i could try the Meindls.

Don't be afraid to check out Zappos.com. They used to have a good selection of boots that would work and offer free returns if they don't fit.

Instead of two pairs of boots, consider one pair and then a hiker/runner hybrid like many companies make. Take boots off and let them dry while you wear the hiker.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabe...z_l=Header%3BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=meindl

AB,I agree. Having spent enough on boots to have had a good quality rifle instead, a pair of sneakers is my favorite, with Danner RAT in 2nd. When I get home I can check the brand, it's a bit of a special sneaker well suited for hiking.

Welcome to a AH and thank you for your service. Why not wear them? If they are broken in well and give you support.....put them on and hunt!

Because even though they are broken in they aren't hunting boots. I have hunting boots for warm weather and hunting boots for cold weather that do just fine.

Alright, the two boots I've narrowed it down to are http://www.merrell.com/US/en/phaser..._color=J32747#cgid=men-footwear-boots&start=1 and http://www.oakleysi.com/Root/Footwear/SI-Footwear/Light-Assault-Leather-Boot/p/888896029820.

Any input on this would, as always, be appreciated. Thank you all!

My opinion (for what its worth... probably very little lol..) is the Oakley boots you have selected probably are a bad choice..

The sole on those is designed to grip flat slick surfaces like a tile or wood or concrete floor that might be wet or have grime on it.. think what a "SWAT" team needs when they are hitting a crack house..

I think those treads would fill up with mud/grime pretty quickly and could be a potential PIA to deal with in the sand and clay in Africa.. Especially if its wet while you are there..

If choosing between those two.. I'd probably give the merrell option a whirl before I went with the oakleys.. they are specifically designed for outdoor use..

Alright, thank you all for your ideas, tips and suggestions! I ended up with a pair of Irish Setters that sportsman's had available. Full leather, 8 inch I think, waterproof and no insulation. They will take a bit of breaking in but I feel comfortable in them overall. Thank you again for all the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg