35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
When it comes to footwear, its all about comfort which comes from fit and breaking in. I've been in the military for 15 years, worn just about every type of boot out there. I finally found the Rocky SV2s. They're not cheap- $200+, but they are all I wear now. For me, I can buy a new pair and they fit instantly. I've walked probably thousands of miles in them over the past decade and couldn't be happier.

... but that's me. You'll need to find the boot that's right for you. And if there's even minor discomfort or rubbing when you put a boot on, its not the right boot. Those issues will be magnified 100x fold when you're 10 miles into a hike.
+1

TallGrassHunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Just in case anyone is interested, the "sneakers" I mentioned are: ADIDAS Terrex Swift R GTX Shoes, according to the box.

Desert Dog

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
After dealing with the grass seeds on my safari last month, there is no way in hell I would ever take a pair of desert boots hunting in the African bush. Those seeds would work their way right through those things (even with gaiters on). Also, everything has thorns...everything, low and high. I was even picking thorns out of my soles with pliers at the end of each day.

Get something with as much leather, rubber, or thick Cordura as you can on the lower part of the boot. Most Desert boots have thin Denier cloth panels in the sides to make them breath well, but these would be very prone to punctures from grass seeds and thorns IMO.

TallGrassHunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Those are Irish Setters? Look better than any Red Wing. Like the padded tongue and collar, bull hide?

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I think it's just regular leather, got a decent deal on them though. It is a padded tongue and collar, no insulation and a comfy fit that I know will get better as they break in.

Rolf_T

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
For hunting boots I've always used Irish Setter, very little break-in time and Gore-tex waterproof. But not on a warm safari :)

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
For hunting boots I've always used Irish Setter, very little break-in time and Gore-tex waterproof. But not on a warm safari :)

Oh I hear you heh. I've already resigned myself to either no mesh and hot but with very good protection or mesh, not so hot, but not as much protection. I suppose it's my own clumsiness that made the derision for me, if there is a thorn within 30ft I'm almost guaranteed to find it! I did get 1 size too large though so I could fit in comfy socks and one of those "wick" liners to help my feet out a bit though.

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
From Nov '67 - Dec '68 I trudged around Southeast Asia in what started out as a brand new recently designed Jungle Boots. At the end of 13 months they were worn to the point of falling apart, but when I went to the airport to leave, they required all jungle gear be left behind, so I didn't get to keep them- even though they were of no further use to anyone for wear. Maybe it was because I was young and invincible, and didn't know any better, but I had no complaints about the footwear. Or maybe it was because there were so many other things to complain about that boots never made it onto the top half of the list. I'd say that unless you are in a situation where traction is an extreme priority, that fit is going to be the biggest concern. If the boots similar to those issued to you fit well, then they should work well for your trip.

Rule 303

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
If you combat books are working for you, use them. If not them try many different brands and models, find what fits and works for you. I my younger years I wore out a few pair of Australian army GP boot and swore by them. Not now. The Courtney boots are one company I swear at not about. Nothing of theirs I have tried was remotely comfortable for me. This is not meant as a put down of the company or their boots just to highlight people are different.

I often hunt in the warmer months here in Australia and wear Meindl Sambar boots, all leather upper without any problems. 45 degrees C in Aust. is still the same as 45C in Africa and after seeing and pulling the Zimbabwean thorns out of the light weight hiking shoes I was wearing the I was wishing I had the Meindls.

Last edited:

Art Lambart II

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
Footwear is a very personal choice, I just returned from a 10 day safari and my Red Wing King Toe boots were perfect. What ever you ware make sure they are well broken in, sore feet and blisters can ruin a hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julissa159

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?
6.8KLR wrote on Von Gruff's profile.
G'Day,
Long time no talk. I had a bad accident and was discharged from the hospital last Thursday after a three month stay. Am home now and all is well. So glad to be back. Missed you all on this board. Hope all is well with you. Killed a nice Mule deer last October and used the stainless Buffalo Skinner that worked to perfection and love the wood.
Regards, Mike in California.