Combat boots for hunting?

When it comes to footwear, its all about comfort which comes from fit and breaking in. I've been in the military for 15 years, worn just about every type of boot out there. I finally found the Rocky SV2s. They're not cheap- $200+, but they are all I wear now. For me, I can buy a new pair and they fit instantly. I've walked probably thousands of miles in them over the past decade and couldn't be happier.

... but that's me. You'll need to find the boot that's right for you. And if there's even minor discomfort or rubbing when you put a boot on, its not the right boot. Those issues will be magnified 100x fold when you're 10 miles into a hike.
+1

Just in case anyone is interested, the "sneakers" I mentioned are: ADIDAS Terrex Swift R GTX Shoes, according to the box.

After dealing with the grass seeds on my safari last month, there is no way in hell I would ever take a pair of desert boots hunting in the African bush. Those seeds would work their way right through those things (even with gaiters on). Also, everything has thorns...everything, low and high. I was even picking thorns out of my soles with pliers at the end of each day.

Get something with as much leather, rubber, or thick Cordura as you can on the lower part of the boot. Most Desert boots have thin Denier cloth panels in the sides to make them breath well, but these would be very prone to punctures from grass seeds and thorns IMO.

Those are Irish Setters? Look better than any Red Wing. Like the padded tongue and collar, bull hide?

I think it's just regular leather, got a decent deal on them though. It is a padded tongue and collar, no insulation and a comfy fit that I know will get better as they break in.

For hunting boots I've always used Irish Setter, very little break-in time and Gore-tex waterproof. But not on a warm safari :)

For hunting boots I've always used Irish Setter, very little break-in time and Gore-tex waterproof. But not on a warm safari :)

Oh I hear you heh. I've already resigned myself to either no mesh and hot but with very good protection or mesh, not so hot, but not as much protection. I suppose it's my own clumsiness that made the derision for me, if there is a thorn within 30ft I'm almost guaranteed to find it! I did get 1 size too large though so I could fit in comfy socks and one of those "wick" liners to help my feet out a bit though.

From Nov '67 - Dec '68 I trudged around Southeast Asia in what started out as a brand new recently designed Jungle Boots. At the end of 13 months they were worn to the point of falling apart, but when I went to the airport to leave, they required all jungle gear be left behind, so I didn't get to keep them- even though they were of no further use to anyone for wear. Maybe it was because I was young and invincible, and didn't know any better, but I had no complaints about the footwear. Or maybe it was because there were so many other things to complain about that boots never made it onto the top half of the list. I'd say that unless you are in a situation where traction is an extreme priority, that fit is going to be the biggest concern. If the boots similar to those issued to you fit well, then they should work well for your trip.

If you combat books are working for you, use them. If not them try many different brands and models, find what fits and works for you. I my younger years I wore out a few pair of Australian army GP boot and swore by them. Not now. The Courtney boots are one company I swear at not about. Nothing of theirs I have tried was remotely comfortable for me. This is not meant as a put down of the company or their boots just to highlight people are different.

I often hunt in the warmer months here in Australia and wear Meindl Sambar boots, all leather upper without any problems. 45 degrees C in Aust. is still the same as 45C in Africa and after seeing and pulling the Zimbabwean thorns out of the light weight hiking shoes I was wearing the I was wishing I had the Meindls.

Last edited:
Footwear is a very personal choice, I just returned from a 10 day safari and my Red Wing King Toe boots were perfect. What ever you ware make sure they are well broken in, sore feet and blisters can ruin a hunt.

Good morning, afternoon or evening to you all!

I just had a quick question about boots. I'm heading out on my first Safari in 2017 and I want to make sure I'll do alright as far as footwear is concerned. When I was deployed to ye-old sandbox back in 2004 the military issued a pair of desert that look pretty much exactly like these http://www.militaryclothing.com/Wat...wkmQxarpB6fwOyz6grGRoCl9bw_wcB&ad=76800669869 . I doubt that mine are exactly that nice (let's be honest, "military spec" means "made by lowest bidder") but they are in good shape, little ripping in the mesh and of course the treads have nicks and cuts in them and are a little worn down because, you know, hiking all over everywhere with full gear, but overall still good.
I have seen a lot on here about White, Russell and Courtney boots as well as one or two others. These are all very nice looking (but pricey for me) boots and I wanted to know if my old combat boots, with new insoles of some sort ( very open to suggestions in that department) would work just fine for a plains game hunt with some decent walking required? I know that those listed boots are all nice, I know they are all probably worth every penny, but when you lack the pennies...well you know heh.

Any input would be welcome, and thank you all in advance!
@Eventually_Africa_Again
My son and I wear ones similar to the tactical boot but it is made by Magnum in England. Lightweight waterproof and breathable. Both sets have walked over 300km and still going strong. My son just got back 15 minutes ago after a 23km hike in them with a 35 pound backpack with no issues.
The breaking procedure we both used was to warm them with a hair dryer and apply plenty of Dubin to condition the leather and wear them. Makes them nice and soft and after anchor the were ready to go.
Bob

I have had my Corteneys for 4 years and wear them every single day. I walk on average 3km a day, so that is about 4300km so far. The secret to comfortable Courteneys is fit them with proper deep cup orthopaedic jelly heels. Mine get polished every day too, so the leather is in great shape. The stitching has had to be tidied up here and there, the cobbler on the street corner sorts that out.

862C0B5C-1F1F-4251-BEE7-C3DB2AEE6809.jpeg
522DAAD7-8294-4CDB-AB61-7DEF57114691.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
i have desert military shoes. took them for safari. they are great!

@Eventually_Africa_Again
My son and I wear ones similar to the tactical boot but it is made by Magnum in England. Lightweight waterproof and breathable. Both sets have walked over 300km and still going strong. My son just got back 15 minutes ago after a 23km hike in them with a 35 pound backpack with no issues.
The breaking procedure we both used was to warm them with a hair dryer and apply plenty of Dubin to condition the leather and wear them. Makes them nice and soft and after anchor the were ready to go.
Bob
Just be wary of using Dubin. It will rot nature fibred threads and stops leather breathing but it sure does condition leather nicely and helps water proof leather. Lanolin is a better alternative.

Just be wary of using Dubin. It will rot nature fibred threads and stops leather breathing but it sure does condition leather nicely and helps water proof leather. Lanolin is a better alternative.
@Rule 303.
I may have have to get some but I would wear them around a new Zealander. I might have problems if I smell like a sheep.
@Cervus elephas nows more about that than me so might have to ask him.
Bob

I've had a couple sets of Rocky SV2 Tactical Military boots (uninsulated, non-waterprooof, no steel toe) and they worked great. My favorite pair of sage green ones wore through the heel after almost 3 years of daily use and hunting as well. Replaced with another SV2 but this time in coyote brown. I don't like the color as much, but they are comfortable and get the job done. Their laces are awesome and is a true "speed lace" military boot for getting them on NOW! Above all they are very quiet to walk in while stalking. The material used on the uppers as well as the shape of the sole make them stealthy. My wife wears the same style as well.

1627811858119.png

Last edited:
When it comes to footwear for a safari, it's important to prioritize comfort, durability, and functionality. While your old combat boots may still be in good shape, it's worth considering a few factors before deciding to use them for your plains game hunt.

First, evaluate the condition of the soles. If the treads are significantly worn down, it may affect your traction and stability on uneven terrain. Consider the types of environments you'll encounter on the safari and whether the current tread pattern will provide sufficient grip.

Next, assess the breathability of the boots. Mesh panels, like the ones you mentioned, can be beneficial in hot climates as they allow for better ventilation. However, if the mesh is ripped or damaged, it may compromise the functionality.

Regarding insoles, investing in high-quality, supportive insoles can greatly enhance comfort and provide better arch support. Look for options that offer cushioning and shock absorption to minimize fatigue during long walks.

While the boots you mentioned served you well during your military deployment, it's worth considering the specific demands of a safari. Safaris often involve long hours of walking, sometimes in rugged terrain. Optimal footwear should provide sufficient ankle support, protection against thorns and rocks, and comfort for extended periods of wear.

If budget is a concern, explore more affordable options that still meet the necessary criteria. Look for hiking boots or outdoor footwear designed for rugged conditions. Visit reputable outdoor gear stores and consult with knowledgeable staff who can guide you toward budget-friendly options that suit your needs.

Remember, a comfortable and reliable pair of boots is essential for an enjoyable and successful safari experience.

In the many years since that post and probably another dozen safaris, I now have five pairs of courteneys and the extended household has another half dozen or more. The Russell Mocassins I ordered were redone several times by Russell and they could never figure out how to make a correct pair even with submitted patterns. The combat boots are sitting in a duffle in Africa in case I need a backup set of boots in-country someday on a return trip.

Since I designed my combat-boot height Courteney Selous boots several years ago, and had two more pairs made as well, Courteney now makes them as a catalog standard item called the "Jamieson". They're great.

So that's my update.

On my first trip to Namibia -10 years ago i bought a pair of Kudu leather “ vellies” or veldshoen. They are light, comfortable and soft. The leather moulds to your feet. I was back last month in Swakopmund and picked up another couple of pairs. One is above the ankle. I’ve e used them every time out there hunting and have no complaints. Combined with a pair of ankle gaiters they do the job. Cost ? About $50.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg