Closing in the distance

It sounds like this hunt needs a lot more planning then I thought. Not sure where I can find a range that allows for shots at 200 yards. A scope is probably easy to find. Unfortunately, it’s busy where I’m at so I can’t do all of these things now. But I’ll definitely look back at this in the future.
If you are serious about this, you need a scope and an opportunity to shoot 200 and 300 yards.
 
My PHs put me as close as possible because they didn't want me to miss. Most of my trophies were 250 yds and less. By exception I shot some at 300-400 yds because the animals we followed were skittish. The PH I had at that hunt was frustrated because the animals maintained the long distances regardless of our maneuvering. I elected to shoot anyway, knowing I might lose the animal with a bad shot, but fortunately, I got them all.
 
I hunted the bottom 3rd of Namibia which is rolling sand hill of the Kalahari and most shots were longer ranges. My closest was 100 meters, with most from 250 to 350. And one at 520.
 
If you are serious about this, you need a scope and an opportunity to shoot 200 and 300 yards.
I am, but I don’t think I have time for that as of now. It’s probably gonna be a couple of years to prepare make a hunt like this happen. I’m only here to ask questions and learn more. I am not ready for this. But in the future, I will keep this in mind.
 
If you are down south in the Kalahari the shots in general will be long on springbok and oryx, 200 to 300 are the norm.further north the bush is denser so expect shorter ranges.
The first photo is fairly typical of my experience of the Namibian Kalahari. The second is typical of several cattle farms I’ve hunted on in the Etosha Conservancy and Kunene.
View attachment 765628View attachment 765630
So what I’m getting at is that the range will depend on where my hunt takes place. So I should prepare for certain shots depending on what landscape I choose to hunt? Kind of like how in the US we use different shooting techniques and hunting styles.
 
I hunted mopane woodlands in Namibia near Etosha, none of my shots there were beyond 150 yards. There was an open area I hunted black wildebeest and they were tough customers to get close to, though I managed to finally get to around 210-220 yards as I recall. Anyway, like anywhere it's going to depend on terrain and vegetation. Ask your outfitter.
 
So what I’m getting at is that the range will depend on where my hunt takes place. So I should prepare for certain shots depending on what landscape I choose to hunt? Kind of like how in the US we use different shooting techniques and hunting styles.
If hunting plains game in Africa, regardless of the country or region, you need a rifle and sighting system capable of killing an animal cleanly from 30 feet to 300 yards. That means you need to hunt with a scope and be very comfortable shooting off sticks. You can easily achieve those skills before leaving on your hunt. Most of your shots will fall in the average between those distances - but some will not.
 
If hunting plains game in Africa, regardless of the country or region, you need a rifle and sighting system capable of killing an animal cleanly from 30 feet to 300 yards. That means you need to hunt with a scope and be very comfortable shooting off sticks. You can easily achieve those skills before leaving on your hunt. Most of your shots will fall in the average between those distances - but some will not.
I actually didn’t know the shots were that far. On YouTube the shots looked somewhat closer. I’ll keep this in mind when I prepare in the future.
 
I actually didn’t know the shots were that far. On YouTube the shots looked somewhat closer. I’ll keep this in mind when I prepare in the future.
As others have said, the specific area matters. But in Namibia, it is quite possible that your only shot at an Oryx, Springbuck, or Hartman's Zebra will be on the far side of 200 yards. The other situation in which a scope is invaluable is threading a bullet through a small opening in the brush to a kudu's shoulder at seventy yards.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,571,859
Members
169,448
Latest member
MichaelMur
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top