Clearing my trophy upon arrival in the U.S.?

Bama Jag

Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Kuruman, Barkley West
Soon I anticipate my Kudu to be sent to the U.S. from South Africa using Safari Cargo Systems. I am on a tight budget... to save money I want to collect the dipped and shipped Kudu and deliver myself to my taxidermist. Upon arrival in the US, I was told the Kudu needs to be “cleared” which I can do myself or they can suggest an agent to me. Safari Cargo Systems will send all the applicable paperwork necessary.

How difficult is it to clear myself? The destination airport is New Orleans. On a previous hunt, I used a clearing agent there and I collected the trophies myself at the Air Cargo receiving warehouse in New Orleans. I asked the workers at the Air Cargo warehouse how difficult it would have been to clear it myself and they said it wasn't difficult.

Can anyone give me some insight into this process? Suggestions?

You need to determine if New Orleans is a USDA Port of Entry. If so, you can do it yourself. If not, it needs to come into a USDA Port of Entry (Houston probably or Atlanta).

The only thing to keep in mind is that if you make an honest mistake or mess something up the penalties for doing so can be astronomical, what you would pay for a broker would be peanuts...

I've got some coming in from RSA in a few months and also plan on clearing them myself.
So far I've found out this -
1) Form 3-177 is definitely one that has to be prepared.
2) Best, if not mandatory, to bring them in through a Port of Entry that also has a FWC office in addition to the normal CBP.
3) It sound like CBP also does the Agriculture portion of the clearing.
So in Florida my choices are Miami or Tampa airports.
I have no primates, swine, or CITES trophies.
But all of mine will be considered "Taxidermy Finished" trophies.
So I think that eliminates the requirement to have them delivered to a "Veterinarian Certified" Taxidermist.
Let us know what else you find out.
thanks
Charlie

My friends and I have done it ourselves several times it wasn't hard at all. We called the USFW officer in Baltimore and they in turn called the USDA and CBP agents in Atlanta and gave them a heads up. The shipments got inspected in Atlanta and got put on a plane to Baltimore ( our destination of choice). The freight company that handles the freight for Delta in Baltimore called me to let me know that the shipment had arrived. I drove to the USFW office at the airport picked up and signed the paperwork that they pre-paired for me, walked across the hall to the CBP office gave them the paperwork and about $10 to cover the cost of the paperwork. And then took those papers across the street to the freight company loading dock, paid my handling charges and they loaded the crate in my truck, and I was on my way home. It was not difficult at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briansmith4631

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois