Choosing the right ammunition

brushmore

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
As if it there wasn't enough to think about for what rifle and caliber to pick for my plains game hunt in April, now it's time for me to figure out what ammo to use. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .308. I'll be hunting wildebeest, hartebeest, warthog, and bush pig (It's the ugly but beautiful package Tootabi advertised here. I am going unaccompanied this time so I guess it's just the ugly package. :)) I am not into reloading yet so I'll need something off the shelf.

First question, does the bullet weight make much of a difference. I am assuming that I need to go on the heavy side since I am hunting wildebeest or does it really matter? Can a good 150 gr do the job good enough or do I need something heaver? My rifle has a 1:11 twist if that matters.

Basically I know I need a good quality hunting bullet that shoots accurate out of my rifle. So far I only tried a Remington 180 gr Core Lokt. I was easily able to shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yds. So that takes care of the accuracy part. I know the Core Lokt is OK but is that good enough? Funny thing is that I bought that just because it was the cheapest on the shelf at the gun shop for me to get familiar with the rifle! In know the Barnes is highly regarded here but TSX or TTSX? What weight would be best? What else should I consider?

remm,corelokt is about the cheapest here in oz also brushmore .
and no one argues that its accurate ,and the most popular off the shelf ammo in our area ,anyways
if your tack driving with that, that's what id be using ,
barnes is definitely the ducks nuts , without question , but expensive in factory ammo
if you want to use it , go for it .
but the remmy corlokts will get the same result if you put them where they need to be
let us all know how they work , and what you choose to use

Totally agree with bluey .
Im also taking a 308 next year and will be useing core lokt .
Ive used them here in New Zealand for years with great results on red stags
with my hs precision 243 and 100 gr pills .If your rifle likes them use them they wont let you down .

Im personally a BIG believer in premium bullets, and the Barnes in particular. As far as TSX OR TTSX I think it is just what your gun shoots best. Full broadside and your core lokt is probably fine, but with a quartering shot why take a chance?

I know it is a cliché but why spend all of that money and then use cheap bullets?

I bought several different premium bullets and figured out what was best in my rifle. Check out ammoseek.com in order to see what factory ammo is out there that might not be at your local store. You might just save a couple of bucks too. :)

Well the "oz" and "kiwi" boys like the Core Lokt, something we in the states usually consider a deer only bullet, but if they shoot well in your gun, that's a big part of it. I personally would go for a more modern design, such as the Triple Shock, but only if they shoot well, but they usually do shoot as well or better than anything else you will try. Your 1-11 is fine with most any weight a .308 will toss. And yes 150grs is enough, but 165 is better and 180 better yet but you will lose some elevation with the heavier bullets but likely not enough to matter within usual hunting distance of under 200 yds. I have always felt that 165 was the ideal weight for the .308 for all around use. Look at this way. If you buy a box or two of Barnes ammo and it shoots well, you have a bullet you never need to worry about performing, and that ease of mind is worth plenty so far from home, and the difference in cost is minimal in the overall scheme of things.

Well the "oz" and "kiwi" boys like the Core Lokt, something we in the states usually consider a deer only bullet, but if they shoot well in your gun, that's a big part of it. I personally would go for a more modern design, such as the Triple Shock, but only if they shoot well, but they usually do shoot as well or better than anything else you will try. Your 1-11 is fine with most any weight a .308 will toss. And yes 150grs is enough, but 165 is better and 180 better yet but you will lose some elevation with the heavier bullets but likely not enough to matter within usual hunting distance of under 200 yds. I have always felt that 165 was the ideal weight for the .308 for all around use. Look at this way. If you buy a box or two of Barnes ammo and it shoots well, you have a bullet you never need to worry about performing, and that ease of mind is worth plenty so far from home, and the difference in cost is minimal in the overall scheme of things.

cant disagree with that ....

Yip totally agree !
We just dont get a lot of selection where I live in NZ ., and rem core lokt
is always available and has been really reliable so I have always used it .
But you make good scence .
I will have a yarn with the PH i am going with and ask his opinion as he would have
seen all sorts good and bad used .

cant disagree with that ....

Plus another one!

And to be clear, I have nothing against core lokts. If that was the only thing that shot well out of my rifle I would shoot them. That being said, I bet you will find that Barnes shoots just as well. Oh, and I love the T3, pretty sure that will be my next rifle.

Yip totally agree !
We just dont get a lot of selection where I live in NZ ., and rem core lokt
is always available and has been really reliable so I have always used it .
But you make good scence .
I will have a yarn with the PH i am going with and ask his opinion as he would have
seen all sorts good and bad used .

its hard to get the barnes here, most of the time .
it took 14 months to 270 grn ttsx for my 375 HH, and that was three back orders from 3 different gunshops , in two different states .
ended up tripping over them in queensland ,thought all my christmasses had come at once.
but on the same token id use the corelokts in afica on plains game , with out a worry in the world .

I bought several different premium bullets and figured out what was best in my rifle. Check out ammoseek.com in order to see what factory ammo is out there that might not be at your local store. You might just save a couple of bucks too.

I like to use gunbot.net, it looks like it has the same goal as ammoseek.com but in a simpler interface. I'll try a few other brands to see how they work. If the Internet forums are correct the T3 will shoot most ammo well.

its hard to get the barnes here, most of the time .
it took 14 months to 270 grn ttsx for my 375 HH, and that was three back orders from 3 different gunshops , in two different states .
ended up tripping over them in queensland ,thought all my christmasses had come at once.
but on the same token id use the corelokts in afica on plains game , with out a worry in the world .
Just had a good look online , but could not find any of the ammo that Idaram mentioned here in NZ .
Its about $48 a box for core lokt here ,so its not that cheap .
Shit ammos cheap in the USA our american friends dont know how good they have got it .

I like to use gunbot.net, it looks like it has the same goal as ammoseek.com but in a simpler interface. I'll try a few other brands to see how they work. If the Internet forums are correct the T3 will shoot most ammo well.
Yeah, I've used them both. They both do the job!

Just the fact that the T3 has the out of box MOA guarantee says a lot to me....

Wow.... I just looked and found it for $18.95 a box... $16.95 if you buy in bulk.....

I knew we had it good, but dang.....

Wow.... I just looked and found it for $18.95 a box... $16.95 if you buy in bulk.....

I knew we had it good, but dang.....

Yeah seriously. That's what I paid for it and was still thinking it was a little much. I don't think I'll complain anymore.

Thats New Zealand dollars guys .
It works out about $38 us dollars a box .

Right now 308 Win ammo is especially cheap and most places have at least some on hand. Yup, you are right dory, in many ways we are VERY lucky. I hope I'm still feeling lucky after November 4th. Election day and we have a Senate that needs a little change.

Just had a good look online , but could not find any of the ammo that Idaram mentioned here in NZ .
Shit ammos cheap in the USA our american friends dont know how good they have got it .

im hearing ya there kiwi.
spiolt them yanks ,and canucks.

Thats New Zealand dollars guys .
It works out about $38 us dollars a box .

Better, but still!

We do I have it GREAT when it comes to guns and ammo. I get annoyed because when I buy a gun online they won't deliver it to my house and I have to go pick it up somewhere. That's about the only limit I have.

not sure what the nato rounds are worth here ,but its less than a dollar a shot ,for 308,and 223 is way cheaper again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg